'We All Fall Down' - Essay on themes, characters and techniques (1 Viewer)

MeZz

HSC
Here is a general outline for any essay question: Themes, Characters, and Techniques for all those poor people studying this text 'We All Fall Down' next year... ha ha

maplebubbles06

HSC
I have an essay for those who have to study 'we all fall down' based on questions that i have found: (u can have a look at it)

(i cant attach it since i am responding):

1) Identify a key episode in your prescribed text.

Analyse the ways in which this key episode reflects both the ideas and characteristics as a whole

Present in either: a) Speech at HSC study day or b) contribution to online resources site.

I would like to welcome you to the HSC study day. Today I would like to analyse how a key episode in Cormier’s We All Fall Down reflects the ideas and characteristics. Cormier’s prose fiction We All Fall Down explores the various ideas that revolve around a key episode, the trashing. Such ideas that revolve around trashing are: the physical impact, the effects of the trashing and the discovery of the trashing.

The trashing has had a physical impact on Jane, who is brutally hurt. The idea is illustrated through such violent verbs such as ‘smashing’ and ‘trashing’ and reinforced poignantly by the simile of ‘like striking back at his mother and father and the whole god dam world.’ this creates the suspense of the actions happening right at the moment ‘One of them, still holding the hammer that had demolished the piano, greeted her’, clearly indicates the start of the violent attack on Karen and that it reflects the idea of the trashing and to start being very cautious about violence.

One other way the idea is conveyed is through such narration as ‘there were four of them although their vandalism was scattered and spontaneous, they managed to invade every room in the hose’ conveys that the trashers have no regard to the property and carelessly destroy the house and through the use of reportage style as ‘they entered the house at 9.02 pm of April fool’ day’ to further help create suspense and awareness.

Furthermore the idea is further represented through cumulative listing of objects left behind trashing created through commas of ‘They left behind twenty five beer cans, two empty vodka bottles and damage at approximately twenty thousand dollars’ illustrates that the violence has indeed left poor Karen damaged and hurt and also it creates a feeling of damage reflected through the broken flow of the text.

Another idea associated with violence is the effect on the bystanders, either socially or emotionally. This is particularly important to Jane, as she is affected the most. This idea is expressed through the simile ‘Jane felt like a traitor to her house, which she explored to Patti and Leslie’ emphasises the strain of friendship as her friends are unsympathetic to her and they don’t give her any support, instead of comforting her during a tough time, which shows that there is no moral support.

Such simile through short sentences of ‘Felt dead inside, empty. Like a vessel wanting to be filled’ indicates that she is alone after the trashing, she doesn’t know who to turn to for help and also has no idea on how to make things better, making her feel pathetic and isolated.

Furthermore, the idea is conveyed through the rhetorical question, ‘but I didn’t help the girl did I?’ This shows how thinking back to his actions makes him more aware of what he has done to Karen and also, he shows remorse and guilt and ‘this is why he tries to confront Karen ‘filled with compassion for that poor girl.’

Although the effects of the trashing may be huge on it’s bystander, it however has had a greater impact on Buddy and Jane’s relationship after the discovery of the trashing, due to Buddy’s deceit and betrayal. The idea is explored through simile. In ‘the impact of her knowledge struck him’ juxtaposed with the simile of ‘like a giant mallet hitting a gong inside him’ indicates the realisation that the trashing has been revealed, inevitably destroying he relationships and to his own extent, he holds responsibility destroying their relationship, creating sense to the reader that Buddy was behind all of this.

Furthermore, the use of repetition of ‘don’t want you’ in ‘I don’t want you in the house, don’t want you in my life’ emphasises Jane’s fury as though she wants to get rid of him out of her life, yet the relationship falls apart, creating hatred to the reader that Buddy was the one that caused the break-up of the relationship of Buddy and Jane.

In conclusion, the concepts associated throughout Cormier’s prose fiction reflect the ideas of the trashing. ‘We All Fall Down’ associates it with such concepts based around this key episode such as the physical impact, the effects on its victims and furthermore, after the trashing has been found out, causes a relationship to break down.

There u go (ill attach notes on Mod B on another thread)

enjoy :)

123456abcdefgh

HSC
We All Fall Down Essay

I made this essay like last yr its not that great but u can use it if you wont cause ive finished skool now so i thought id help out lol
Umm the question is like on western society and how its the same or sumthin but yer

LateAgainGerald

HSC
THANK GOD!
ive been looking all over for these things, i was like browsing through the community forums trying and trying, rewording and rewording, again and again, "we all fall down" and "close study of texts" in the search engine, took me like aaaggeessss..i was just about to give up till i saw this on the home page..thanks heaps guys
apreciate it!!

btw im redoing my hsc, i wouldve found english easier if we did the same texts but apparently not, dammit, lol c yaz ;)

boredstudies08

HSC
1) Identify two key episodes in your prescribed text.

Analyse the ways in which these key episodes reflect both the ideas and characteristics of the text as a whole

Present your analysis in one of the following forms:
1) A transcript of a Speech for a HSC study day
2) A contribution to the HSC online resource site.

It is exactly the same as the example one here!
Ours is in class on thursday and I am just starting my final copy now which I plan on memorizing for then.

bormann43

HSC
gollum said:
Here is a general outline for any essay question: Themes, Characters, and Techniques for all those poor people studying this text 'We All Fall Down' next year... ha ha
This was a good essay and has helped me a lot. Thanks heaps... I hate cormier and we all fall down... it's boring. lol.
thanks again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)