• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

We have a new pope! (2 Viewers)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
From CNN

> Breaking News
White smoke from Vatican chimney and ringing bells signal election of a new pope. Details soon.

White smoke, bells signal new pope

White smoke is rising from the chimney atop the Sistine Chapel, and bells are ringing, indicating the 115 cardinals participating in a conclave have elected a new pope. Pope John Paul II, who died April 2, decreed that bells should ring when a new pope was elected to avoid confusion over the smoke's color.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Joseph Ratzinger will be the next pope.

BENEDICT XVI

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hmm, benedict doesnt flow like john paul :(

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
he looks like a minion of satan... look at those demon eyes!
i hope he does a better job that john paul

still waiting

HSC
AtticusFinch said:
i hope he does a better job that john paul
Didnt you like john paul?
and they say this german guy follows john pauls ideals and is very conservative i think this will have a great affect on the whole women ordination contraception and homosexuality debates and issues at the moment it should be interesting to see how it turns out

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Conservative, conservative, conservative.

This guy is 78 he is just a interim Pope they can have for a while. He is not going to do anything significant at all in terms of looking at the issues of celibacy, ordination of women. He will merely just maintain the status quo.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Why didn't they elect a pope from a third world country/South America where the majority of Catholics reside? There seemed to be suitable candidates from there....

It just shows the inherrent eurocentrism in the Catholic church. They preach from a position of privelidge, their figureheads are from wealthy countries, and lay down weighty moral "laws" on to the underpriveliged and poor... to great effect also, I mean the lack of contraception/protection has done wonders for overpopulation and the spread of AIDS in underdeveloped countries, hasn't it?

I said to my dad when John Paul first died that I bet they will elect a white guy from a European country...

The catholic church is a business.... in my opinion it is not there to help people or for missionary reasons. It is a mercenery system which relies on keeping fat white guys happy with the extreme conservatism of the church, and hence they keep on providing money so the church can maintain it's self indulgent opulance while people starve and die of AIDS in Africa.

One only has to look at the "treasures" of the Vatican to see that the church is a business interested in the accumulation of wealth and the spreading of the dogma which will cause people to help maintain that wealth.....

chookie_06

ø¤º°©ђòókîë_0 6™°º¤ø
HSC
krieg ist frieden, freiheit ist sklaverei, unwissenheit ist Stärke

er ist ein Deutscher

das Deutsches ist heir

please excuse my language ,,, something has come over me :)

Danke!!!

walrusbear

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Why didn't they elect a pope from a third world country/South America where the majority of Catholics reside? There seemed to be suitable candidates from there....

It just shows the inherrent eurocentrism in the Catholic church. They preach from a position of privelidge, their figureheads are from wealthy countries, and lay down weighty moral "laws" on to the underpriveliged and poor... to great effect also, I mean the lack of contraception/protection has done wonders for overpopulation and the spread of AIDS in underdeveloped countries, hasn't it?

I said to my dad when John Paul first died that I bet they will elect a white guy from a European country...

The catholic church is a business.... in my opinion it is not there to help people or for missionary reasons. It is a mercenery system which relies on keeping fat white guys happy with the extreme conservatism of the church, and hence they keep on providing money so the church can maintain it's self indulgent opulance while people starve and die of AIDS in Africa.

One only has to look at the "treasures" of the Vatican to see that the church is a business interested in the accumulation of wealth and the spreading of the dogma which will cause people to help maintain that wealth.....
yeah pretty much
hey, is anyone else fucking sick of conservatism??

imhere4themusic

flied lice
HSC
Why does everyone have so much trouble coping with the "conservatism" of the church today. Why does everyone want to update the church for the modern context.

Don't you get it. I'm neither for or against but I certainly understand that these people have faith, and this faith that they believe in is over 2000 years old, far older than any of you or your modern morals. Since the beginning of catholicsim these rules that media now calls "conservatism" have been in place. If they break these rules, regardless or not whether you believe in god, these people (in their eyes) are set for hell. Why would they change the rules of a church of salvation in turn for hell just to "keep up with the times"?

The issue should not be about the churches conservatism, their opposition to contraception, abortion etc. People must understand that their views won't change, just like George W. Bush and Iraq. IT iS WHAT THEY BELIEVE IN. Everyone who criticises them for their views is fucked. Everyone has their own point of view on things, and how can you know that you're more informed than the other. If the church ever changes on these issues it will be a sad day for the world;not because I am opposed to these issues, because I'm not. I want female priests, I want abortion rights, I want Homosexuals treated equally; but because a millennia old tradition and belief for many people will succumb to the shallow views of media world-wide. Think about this? Will muslims ever allow their women to walk around without their head-scarves ever? Will John Howard ever give normal Australians a fair go? Wll Bob Dylan live till 503? Are these relevant arguments either? No..

If you don't believe in what the Catholics believe in then do the smarter thing. Instead of bantering about it for the rest of time, be the more mature one. Walk away, accept they won't change and don't believe in it. Go to another faith. You don't have to worry about it at all if you don't believe in it anyway. After all, if you don't believe in it then it surely isn't true right? Who's loss is it anyway? Your's (You're going to hell now)? Their's (for putting their faith in a sham all their lives?)

Either way you both lose out.

still waiting

HSC
i think there is some truth in what your saying if you dont like it you can get out its your own freedom of choice
but i believe that as the religion has such a large influence upon the world that in some areas it must move and continually change to keep its 1.1 billion followers it has to accept new things all the time as the numbers people practising catholicism are gradually waning

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)