Weak research base (1 Viewer)

pseudonym

Advertisement Space...
HSC
I have to finish my draft short story during these Christmas holidays. My story has been making do with its sole roots in a single text as it's major source of inspiration -- supplemented by vague Lyotardean/Foucault/etc theory. There are no DIRECT references to other texts via parody, pastiche, etc (as would be expected by a pomo text). This lack of substantial foundation has me worried, as surely my story will as a consequence run out of juice halfway through?

Will my strategy of putting down the words first and adding in the intertexuality later be okay?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
There's nothing wrong with using research to flesh out your raw ideas once they're on paper, rather than function solely as inspiration. So yes, thats fine. Just make sure you don't leave it too long or it will come back to haunt you.

It is also good to remember your draft isn't meant to be perfect or even that good, its just meant to a raw expression of ideas. So its a given that you'd be changing names or themes or whatnot down the track as you gain more insight into how and why your work works.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)