WebCT discussion boards (1 Viewer)

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
Just curious if this has happened to many people before, because it's something new (and slightly hilarious) to me.
For TEP 246 (Key competancies in special education) there were several different sub-forums to discuss different aspects of the course. There has been so much petty fighting, sarcasm and hostility on them that the convenor (after repeated threats and pleas for everyone to chill the fuck out) has locked all of the forums except one. I've seen unit convenors get pissed off about irrelevant use of discussion boards, but never one so annoyed that they locked most of the boards off.

I think it's pretty funny, because I've posted on there maybe twice and have been mostly bemused by the childishness of these people who supposedly have done at least 2 years of uni. I'd be pretty pissed off if I was one of the externals who actually needs the board to help clarify things in discussion though.

Anyway, this ended up being longer than I first thought - I was just wondering if many other people had experienced this in such an extreme form? Or are the students of TEP 146 just special:)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Philosophy once, but that wasn't to that point, it was just intellectual name calling

"Go foucault yourself"
etc

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
haha - closing off boards!
not in such an extreme form
i think in stat170 we had some guy post something kind of offensive about one of the lecturers, on the discussion boards :rolleyes: and that was pretty amusing, the lecturer replied and everything, but that's all

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
In BBA101 (the last year of the course before it changed to MKTG101) there was a full slanging match between a couple of the posters. Extreme profanities and descriptions of mothers and bizarre sexual practices led Julian Demeryick to lock the threads.

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
in ARTS100 Guy Morrow was slayed, he had a witty reply, then deleted the offending threads. One thing that amuses me is the discussion boards on TurnItIn - they are always empty- I guess acuse turnitin is such a bitch - you just want to get in, do your business, get out.

CieL

HSC
No, never.

In my units we either had no discussion boards, or the ones that did had proper discussion in it.

But I wouldn't want to start a fight anyway because the board lists your full name and everything on the post.... the ability to trace back to the person deters me....

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lcf said:
in ARTS100 Guy Morrow was slayed, he had a witty reply, then deleted the offending threads. One thing that amuses me is the discussion boards on TurnItIn - they are always empty- I guess acuse turnitin is such a bitch - you just want to get in, do your business, get out.
oh crap thanks lcf you're a life saver!! i wonder if i would have remembered to submit my assignment if i hadn't read that post!! *phew*

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
CieL said:
No, never.

In my units we either had no discussion boards, or the ones that did had proper discussion in it.

But I wouldn't want to start a fight anyway because the board lists your full name and everything on the post.... the ability to trace back to the person deters me....
So you are saying if you were anonoymous, you would go on a bitch fest??? It would tempt me haha

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lcf said:
So you are saying if you were anonoymous, you would go on a bitch fest??? It would tempt me haha
in one of our subjects we could post annonymously. i think the convenors could see who were were though

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
webct is how mj found me :\

she wrote me a pm on bos and said

are you "anne *insert last name*"??

and i got scared lol

ps: we were both pretty active webct-ers

prusso

HSC
GoodToGo said:
In BBA101 (the last year of the course before it changed to MKTG101) there was a full slanging match between a couple of the posters. Extreme profanities and descriptions of mothers and bizarre sexual practices led Julian Demeryick to lock the threads.
happened last semester again lol

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
We used online discussion boards for ling248. It was really interesting and all, but some guy flamed the board with racist and sexist comments. Luckily, the convenor got control of the situation and had threatened to ban him from the discussion boards if he made any more offensive comments. There was a 16% participation mark if you had posted on the discussion board at least once a week. :)

CieL

HSC
lcf said:
Hhahah I'm saying if I was anonymous, I wouldnt hesitate as much to go on a bitch fest lol

It's like how now I can say anything and no-one knows who I am or what I look like... however, if names were listed, and for example, that name gets called up in my tute, I know who to stalk..................................

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
its not fun when the lecturers start threatening things, I mean they surely dont take personal comments that seriously do they? Its not like, 'this tutor/lecturer sucks' is going to have much impact at all. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)