Website design: werid phenomenon (1 Viewer)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Wonder if anyone of you have encountered this before.. I am working an a website lately. I use the <style>a:hover{color: }</style> tags on my page but for some reason this doesn't apply to certain part of the webpage which contains white hyperlinked text. So I've tried a few things to find out what is happening:

1. Changing the colour of the text ' doesn't work for white text but works in other parts of the webpage
2. Moving the tags to within the cell (I'm using a table structure) ' same result as 1.
3. Applying small caps, 10pt to the rollover setting ' partially works - the first letter of every word doesn't - this applies to the whole page
4. Stop applying colours to hyperlinked text (= using default settings) ' colour change works, small caps remain partially works
5. Use default settings for all colours ' colour change works, small caps partially works
6. Using other colours other than white ' colour change doesn't work, small caps partially works

additional experiment conditions:

7. Scream at it ' doesn't work
8. Scold it ' doesn't work

Results:
- Hyperlinks which uses colours other than the default hyperlink colour defined on the page will not exhibit colour change
- Small caps only works when the rollover font size is defined

So I'm thinking that if you want the rollover colour change to happen to every hyperlink you'll either have to use the default colour for everthing? Any ideas? (This could be solved using js.. but I'm just wondering if you could do it using only the style tags..)

---> Jazzy Cafe

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i know this is irrelevant...but I really love your signature mito :)

i think a more relevant dogma would be- an archer at long distances must aim above his target in order to hit it.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
i know this is irrelevant...but I really love your signature mito :)

i think a more relevant dogma would be- an archer at long distances must aim above his target in order to hit it.
on that topic- i always thought that the quote was "aim for the stars, and if u miss u'll land on the moon". :D

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by mitochondria
Wonder if anyone of you have encountered this before.. I am working an a website lately. I use the <style>a:hover{color: }</style> tags on my page but for some reason this doesn't apply to certain part of the webpage which contains white hyperlinked text. So I've tried a few things to find out what is happening:

1. Changing the colour of the text ' doesn't work for white text but works in other parts of the webpage
2. Moving the tags to within the cell (I'm using a table structure) ' same result as 1.
3. Applying small caps, 10pt to the rollover setting ' partially works - the first letter of every word doesn't - this applies to the whole page
4. Stop applying colours to hyperlinked text (= using default settings) ' colour change works, small caps remain partially works
5. Use default settings for all colours ' colour change works, small caps partially works
6. Using other colours other than white ' colour change doesn't work, small caps partially works

additional experiment conditions:

7. Scream at it ' doesn't work
8. Scold it ' doesn't work

Results:
- Hyperlinks which uses colours other than the default hyperlink colour defined on the page will not exhibit colour change
- Small caps only works when the rollover font size is defined

So I'm thinking that if you want the rollover colour change to happen to every hyperlink you'll either have to use the default colour for everthing? Any ideas? (This could be solved using js.. but I'm just wondering if you could do it using only the style tags..)

---> Jazzy Cafe
Hey, you're using CSS incorrectly from what I know of it. The <style> </style> tags go in the <head></head> part of your page. You can't use them like <i> or <b>. You put all your different styles there and refer to them by using ID or CLASS names. Anchor tags (ie a href) are used as you said by a:hover {color: } and that will apply to all the tags in the site unless they are of a differently defined class.

hth.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
OK, so i did a quick example for you.

Have a look at this page, its got a link that changes with CSS styles, and i have included all the source there for you. It shows where to put css.

http://fosweb.com/mitTest.htm

HTML styles will overpower CSS styles also I think. So if you have a subclassed css style, then you apply a html tag to it, the HTML tag will display, and the CSS wont.
You can get over this problem by just not using any html styling (i dont anymore) and subclassing everything with CSS.

I'm currently redoing my website, my new one will be up in a couple of days... But have a look at the link above, and if you still have questions, keep asking.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Thank you!

Thanks guys! (and i mean everyone of course :p) ummm.. I am aware of the fact that CSS should go between styles, by putting it in between <table></table> was just an experiment to see the effect of it because putting the <style></style> tags will also produce valid results in at least 2 unrelated cases I have encountered. The following link is an example which I've just made with FP, it consists of a hyperlink and this:

<style>a:hover {color: #CCCCEB; }
</style>

between the body tags:

[a herf=http://www.geocities.com/lemonpichu/test.html]Test Page[/a]

Only that you'll get a mini error warning icon in your status bar :)

but anyways.. I think yours is a great idea fosweb, the subclassing thing... I never really want to use CSS much because I don't know how to get around with things, the only CSS scripts I'm currently using are the scroll bar colour and the rollover style :) I'll try it as soon as I am in the mood.. web design is werid... you don't want to do anything when you are not in the right mood lol (or is it just me?)

Umm.. this is another topic. Dreamweaver or FP? (or something else?) Personally I think Dreamweaver has an extremely werid interface which I do not comprehend, maybe it's equivalent to music with lotsa swear word and heavy metal (no offence - this is subjective). And FP... it's kinda too simple? I know for a fact that you can make professional website (not just the look) with FP.. but i think there are too many things you have to do manually in FP to get what you want.. And for Dreamweaver, it's really great for editing scripts (lol.. it's a script editor for me..) and I know nothing else about its functionality because it's too confusing to use... but rumour has it that it makes good + fancy websites.. which one are you using?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Frontpage used to put messy tags in various strange places, which is why I've never used it seriously. DW is supposed to be good and I have a copy, but I've never really learnt how to harness its supposed incredible potential :)

I hand-code in a text editor.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by anti
Frontpage used to put messy tags in various strange places, which is why I've never used it seriously. DW is supposed to be good and I have a copy, but I've never really learnt how to harness its supposed incredible potential :)

I hand-code in a text editor.
yeah, i agree dreamweaver has a very strange interface- maybe its only for the pro's i guess. :eek:

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
I do everything in Dreamweaver.

Its got a nice interface, its got GREAT css integration, and its got a code editor that colours keywords in basically any web language you can think of.
(Though anti, since sunny showed me ConText I dont really use DW for this anymore)

BTW: if you want a MUCH better text editor to do coding in, use ConText.

mito: there is no subclassing in that example.
An example of subclassing, is when you define a css style such as:

.MyStyle {
/* Styledefs */
}

And then, you can for ANY object in your html document, tell it to take on the style of .MyStyle by classing it:
Eg with a table:

< table class="MyStyle" > < /table >

The advantage of doing this, is that you can have many different tables, and rather than have them all having the same css style (eg by just redefining the 'table' tag in your css sheet), you can apply different styles to each table.

So you could also have styles defined as .MyStyle2 and .MyStyle3 and then class them into other tables.

This is how css 'should' be done imho...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)