website (1 Viewer)

fwuxed

Channeling Ki
HSC
Hmm, I'm doing a website for my main work but i dunno what i can use..

Can anyone explain the stuff i can and can't use?

1. Can i use flash?
2. Can i use java?
3. Do i need to specify minimum system requirements?
4. What are the specs of the marker computers?

etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated,

Ta.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
they are all listed in the syllabus...the technicality requirements when handing in. they must be able to run on blah blah system and use internet explorer this and that...just check out the standards pkge...it has all u could ever want...lol

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I used flash.
Why would you use java?

I did specify minimum system requirements in order to tell the marker that it worked fine on MY computer (as well as those i tested it on)

The specs are in the syllabus, as Sarah has said.

fwuxed

Channeling Ki
HSC
well you know, flash is more "high-tech" compared to java.
java's old and gay but it's supported by most machines, good, if you disregard the fact that it sucks.

Flash is updating at a really fast rate, they got flash 7 now ... if i use flash 7 to make my thingy it probably won't run on their crappy machines. Flash 5 isn't compatible with the flash 6 player (i think) and flash 6 won't run on flash 5.

Gay.

No, don't suggest crap like "just don't use it" because a site without flash is like a roll of brown toilet paper. :chainsaw:

m1nx

HSC
Originally posted by fwuxed
No, don't suggest crap like "just don't use it" because a site without flash is like a roll of brown toilet paper. :chainsaw:

hahahah. love the description ;)
i'm making a website as well~ just curious though, are you planning to make the entire site in flash? is it that important to make the site as whizzbang impressive as possible (in terms of flash capabilities + aethetic features) cause i was looking at the 2001 ext 2 projects and the 'shakespearean foolery' one is pretty much basic.

fwuxed

Channeling Ki
HSC
No, not the whole thing. Just in case it does go wrong, I don't want my site to be completely out of action.
Most likely i'll be doing a few aesthetic highlights in flash and possibly the menu too. :)

Ah, everything written on paper is boring. I prefer using the computer to maximise the possibilities. :apig:

AESTHETICS ARE EVERYTHING! All the teachers say "blah blah, we don't care about how good it looks blah blah" but you know what? they prefer looking at something nice. :) it's subliminal and they don't even realise they're doing it.

Last edited:

Beaker

I'm doing a website.

I remember reading the guidelines and it said it couldn't be too technical which sucked.. I wanna implement flash just for good looks.. but it will be HTML based deffinetely..

I want to have really complex system but make it easy to navigate
I will have a poll on the main page and make it intereactive.. but of course the poll will just be coded and it won't actually work... I also want to have a javascript puzzle.. but i don't know if you're allowed to do it..

it's just my teacher said that its very important the website be interactive so you maintain the users awareness so they STAY on the website.. think about it.. it hit me hard and if it works it should be really good

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I actually decided my 'website' was more of just a 'multimedia project' because it was entirely in flash. I intended to use flash on a html based site but it turned out to be more effective as the whole thing.

However...

as good website designers and programmers will tell you, a site should not be entirely flash if it's meant to actually say something; in other words, if you are creating a hyperlink-savvy critical analysis I would avoid making it look too fancy. You'll detract from the effect of your words.

Beaker

Originally posted by anti
I actually decided my 'website' was more of just a 'multimedia project' because it was entirely in flash. I intended to use flash on a html based site but it turned out to be more effective as the whole thing.

However...

as good website designers and programmers will tell you, a site should not be entirely flash if it's meant to actually say something; in other words, if you are creating a hyperlink-savvy critical analysis I would avoid making it look too fancy. You'll detract from the effect of your words.
exactely..

my teacher said on friday that my project is turning into a more creative piece than an academic piece atm..

so i think i'll whip up a design of the website and focus my work on the content and play around once i get a appropriate amount of content done.. that way i can feel a bit better when i decide to spend soem time on more interactive things

fwuxed

Channeling Ki
HSC
Hmm, showed your teacher? =__=

I haven't even started. :D

m1nx

HSC
hear, hear fwuxed ;)

actually, i kind of have a design that i'm playing around with, BUT atm it has no content whatsoever :x which is a bit of a problem, i'd say ....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)