Weimar Republic (1 Viewer)

w00dy.

HSC
Ok, so we all pretty much have an understanding of the things that were against the Republic.

But what about the things that were for or 'helped' the Republic, any thoughts or ideas?

bored6

HSC
w00dy. said:
Ok, so we all pretty much have an understanding of the things that were against the Republic.

But what about the things that were for or 'helped' the Republic, any thoughts or ideas?
Stresemann.

bored6

HSC
extraordinary07 said:
yeah, he totally saved it you jackass!
I don't know about totally saved it but he did a hell of alot. This stupidity of yours should reflect in your essay mark.

:wave:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
w00dy. said:

If you read your textbook, then you should know.

mzduxx2006

HSC
Stresemann did help considerably, in providing the Weimar republic with a period of relative stability. He did the following:

- Introduced the Rentenmark in 1923 [revolutionised german currency and reduced the effects of hyperinflation]
- signed the dawes plan in 1924 [revised reparation payments germany owed]
- signed the Locarno treaty in 1925 [allowed Germany to be on friendly terms with surrounding nations and reduce the threat of encirclement]
- signed the Young plan in 1929 [reduced the reparation payements significantly]

So in regards to yur question, Gustav Stresemann, who they name the era of 1932-1929 after as the "Stresemann era" significantly helped the Weimar republic, so i guess in a way you could discuss him as the positive contribution to the republic overall.

hope this helps... xoxo :D

circusmind

HSC
w00dy. said:
that can be a little hard when your teacher doesnt teach using a text book, and or writes notes...
1. Go to (state/national/even local) library.
2. Locate (at least) one textbook for your topic.
3. Photocopy the shit out of it.
4. Profit!!

Alternatively, if you live in the middle of nowhere and your library is crap....hit up ebay or amazon.

el gwapo

HSC
Hmm... what about US long term loans, or the Dawes Plan. That's linked to Stressemann, but separate enough that you can spend a page on it, or at least one long paragraph.

-designated a plan for reparations
-allowed German economy to be boosted by US money
-economic stability gave also relative political stability

of course that is if you want to talk about the good things; i think i remember stressemann saying though that it was only temporary, something like a volcano waiting to explode.

if you have a lot of time, and nothing to write, talk about the revolutions and counter-revolutions. That extended the Weimar life-span, in a sadistic twisted way. It was being stabbed from both sides by two murderers, but the murderers ended up cancelling each other

w00dy.

HSC
el gwapo said:
Hmm... what about US long term loans, or the Dawes Plan. That's linked to Stressemann, but separate enough that you can spend a page on it, or at least one long paragraph.

-designated a plan for reparations
-allowed German economy to be boosted by US money
-economic stability gave also relative political stability

of course that is if you want to talk about the good things; i think i remember stressemann saying though that it was only temporary, something like a volcano waiting to explode.

if you have a lot of time, and nothing to write, talk about the revolutions and counter-revolutions. That extended the Weimar life-span, in a sadistic twisted way. It was being stabbed from both sides by two murderers, but the murderers ended up cancelling each other
yeah i was thinking about that, because i couldnt see the point in trying to drag out one essay on all the things that were good for the republic when really it could be done in a page, probablly not even.

hence the thread.

thanks for the help guys.

Magicana

HSC
bored6 said:
I don't know about totally saved it but he did a hell of alot. This stupidity of yours should reflect in your essay mark.

:wave:
Agreeed. Stresseman died before the Weimar Republic began to start getting owned.

MMalone

HSC
Yes, Stresemann may have been a positive influence, however, what must not be ignored is the right-wing disillusionment of him that was propogated by some of his policies that complied with the Versailles Treaty. Therefore, by this compliance, the right-wing, as well as the left, may have seen him and his administration as defeatist, prompting even further sentiments against him, and even more unsettling undertones that set to topple the Republic.

bored6

HSC
MMalone said:
Yes, Stresemann may have been a positive influence, however, what must not be ignored is the right-wing disillusionment of him that was propogated by some of his policies that complied with the Versailles Treaty. Therefore, by this compliance, the right-wing, as well as the left, may have seen him and his administration as defeatist, prompting even further sentiments against him, and even more unsettling undertones that set to topple the Republic.
?

Robbeh

HSC
Hitler, Chamberlain and Appeasement - Frank McDonough.

Using for History Extension but may have some relevance to you. Find it and photocopy about p9-11

MMalone

HSC
bored6 said:
Basically, what Stresemann did with his policies could have been interpreted by the right wing as being against Germany and defeatist. Therefore, a resulting wave sentiment against him would have occured (which it did when he was dismissed). This led to Hitler gaining power in latter stages.

cait33

Doctor's Companion
HSC
for the entire 14 or so years of Weimar it could be said that the whole establishment was balancing on a knifes edge.... the governements were dealing with the immedient problems- like hyperinflation and not looking to solidly ground the democratic sysem in Germany. It may not have been impossible for the republic to survive, but it would have been hard and needed good stong leaders like Stresemann to carry the democracy. it is really a surprise that the democracy lasted so long concidering the problems, it was therefore a credit to the early govt for lasting so long
blah blah blah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)