Welcome! The Class of 2004 (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Welcome to the English as A Second Language forum!

I am the new moderator for this forum and I wish the Class of 2004 English (ESL) the very best of luck!

Ask me questions concerning ESL and Essay writing and I'll try and answer them to the best of my ability. I know it is difficult to read/write in english when it is a language that you are not familiar with. But there is a solution.

To the Class of 2003, please post your notes and essays to the BOS. Thank you.

Survivor39
Class of 2003 English as A Second Language

Remember: Practice makes perfect!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Thank you!
and why are you suprised? :) :p

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
i didnt expect you to be moderator of esl, i have no idea how you going to help your little fellow kids, since new syllabus for esl introduced. but anyway good luck you will be a good moderator Survivor!!!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
The best thing I can do is to provide them with some strategies to tackle the difficult exams.

Knowing the material is one thing, but utilising your strategies is another. ;)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
English As a Second Language or also known as English (ESL) is a 2 unit course designed for students who had learned English for less than 5 years. You are eligible to enter this course if you have satisfy this rule.

This course is an alternative to more demanding courses such as English (Advanced) and English (Standard), as well as providing a foundation to beginners so that they are not in any way being disadvantaged. But more importantly, this course is designed for eligible students to further their skills on the langauge aspects, such as grammar, rather than reading thick novels and require more in-depth critical writing like that of the English (Advanced) course.

Having said that, English (ESL) in not easy. the length of the examination is similar to the other two English courses, but with added feature of a Listen Exam which enhance students' listen ability.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
mate.. i fink i need to do that... i often say things that dont make sense

hmm fink i known english for 10 years.. dayem

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
my friend was born in australia but she was so hopeless in english so teachers let her do the esl course. it also depends on your luck.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by piccaninny
my friend was born in australia but she was so hopeless in english so teachers let her do the esl course. it also depends on your luck.
The would be illegal. i have to fill out a form for doing ESL...Coz the BOS checks it

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
oohhhh... i was born in australia too.. but i only knew english coz of our next door neighbours... was one of those people in primary skool saying words in polish coz i thought it was english n people used to ask me stuff

like i remember we had swimming lessons n the teacher goes.. did every 1 bring their swimmers?? n i was like whats that.. n evry1 had swimmers with them in my class except me coz i didnt know what they were... they had to ring up my mum hahaha

but u people all seem to speak inglish pretty good

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
Originally posted by Yueting Lu
My question is whether overseas students are being marked together with local students or not.
it depends what course you are doing, if you came to australia months ago (with no english) and did standard english you are marked for standard english (majority of students are native speakers). it really depends on students not their background, there is a lot of migrants which do 3 unit english and getting 90+.

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
by law no, you can do esl course if you lived in australia for less than 5 years. a friend of mine was born here, but she was so bad with english eventually teachers let her do esl course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)