welcome to arts!!1 (1 Viewer)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i wanted to be the first to post!!
so welcome to the arts faculty.

is anyone thinking of doing a b. arts this year? or anything in the arts faculty?

shout out if you need any help regarding anything with any degrees, enrolment, subject choices, etc.

RJ

HSC
I'm hoping to get into B Liberal Studies (International). I got 98.95, so hopefully I'll just sneak in - I have a feeling it is set to rise a lot, but if I miss out, I'll be really happy to get into Arts Languages - do you think it is over-kill to do 3 languages? I have other interests, but I'd love to become fluent in 3!

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
3 languages? wow i think thats too much and i don't htink its possible.

i mean, if i remember right, you need a major from the arts faculty, another from the science faculty, and one in a lanaguage. i guess you can major in 2 languages for your arts and language major.. but you will have to pick something else from the science faculty to major in. you could do pick another lanaguage to fill up your electives but i don't think you will get recognition for that language since you won't be able to major in it.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
oh what languages are you thinking of studying?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
Someone I know (who topped the state two years ago), studies 3 languages and does Law. He is fluent in 5 languages. He did BA/LLB at Monash and majored in one language, minored in another and does the other as electives.
crazy crazy crazy, some ppl r just so crazy :p

RJ

HSC
Originally posted by jlh
oh what languages are you thinking of studying?
I did French and German for my HSC and I'd love to pick up Italian. I've discovered that I can major in French, German, and a science and then do Italian if I have room

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yeah you can pick up italian to make up your elective units, but i'm not sure if you will get recognition as a major/minor for it. you'd have to double check on that!!

malayz_angel

Ok I know it's hopelessly impractical and all but what do you people think of majoring in history? (And no, I don't want to be a history teacher!)

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Well if its really what you want to do then go for it. Most people that major in History usually go into journalism, reasearch or teaching. I can't really see it useful for any other type of employment. Personally i hate doing History, but some of my friends are doing ancient and are loving it!!!

santaslayer

HSC
im gonna do an arts degree combined with law...
i just have one question about the arts degree.....lets say i do a major in economics under my arts degree ok?
what is the difference between a 3 yr degree in a B of economics and a 3 year degree in B Arts (economics) besides the higher UAI requirement for B Economics?
is B Economics more recognised?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
the b. economics has professional recognition whereas the b. arts with a major in economics doesn't. and also, you don't have to do any b. economics core subjects (i think...).

but i'm not sure if you can major in economics under an arts degree. i just flicked thru the arts handbook (downloadable from the usyd website) and for 2nd year economics, you need to have done econometrics, which isn't listed and offered in part b of the handbook! so i'm not sure of how you go about majoring in it if its possible. i suggest you talk to someone from the arts faculty (sorry i don't have a contact number for you, but i know they are located in level 2 of the old teachers college next to manning).

santaslayer

HSC
thanks a lot for the help.......
im not saying i HAVE to do economics.....i was just wondering what the difference was.....but thanks u helped me a lot

santaslayer

HSC
hey one more question......non ARTS related.....
how come u have only 156 posts and u can change the writng on top of ur pic?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
you can change what it says under your nickname via the "user cp" under "edit profile".

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
With B Ec you have to major in either economics or econometrics, and you can also do a second major or minor in some other commerce subjects.

You can do economics with a BA as a second major, i.e. you have to major in another arts subject (something from the Table A units)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by malayz_angel
Ok I know it's hopelessly impractical and all but what do you people think of majoring in history? (And no, I don't want to be a history teacher!)
First year history (history, not ancient history) at USyd is ok... I have taken both hsty1045 and hsty1043 (the 'modern' units) and while they were ok, I have been told that USyd history at the junior level has nothing on that of the other universities in the Sydney region.

Impractical? Not every unit (or degree, too) needs to be taken with a future career in mind... I would say go for your life if that's what you want.

rosie rose

hey
am a bit confused by all this "units of study" business- i have to enrol on thursday so- please help!
uhh... ok. is it 24 units that first years have to take? and am planning an english major, so how many units of english
would i need to do to complete that? and i have about a million possible units- are there lecturers there
on enrolement day to help explain?ack!

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
its 48 credit points that first years have to take, so thats 24 per semester.

to major in something, you need to follow a certain pattern of study. this website has more info on what english units you need to do for a major:
http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/departs/english/undergraduate.shtml?major

there are no lectures on the day to help you to enrol, but most likely they will give you a piece of paper telling you how to structure yoru degree.

the b.arts is a flexible degree and you can do almost anything.

remember you have to have a major from the TABLE A of the units of study from the faculty of arts.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
There aren't any lecturers, but there will be student volunteers around to answer questions, tell you where things are, provide advice and stuff.

Go to the Arts transistion workshop too, it was fantastic last year. There's also a mentor program, that's like peer support for uni.

http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/ArtsNetwork/trans_Mentor.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)