Welcome to Faculty of Commerce and Economics (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Dash
Do you choose your major after the first semester in B Com?
Or do you have to tell them straight away?
U have to tell them straight away, when u enrol
HOWEVER, since u do mostly core, compulsory subjects in 1st yr, ppl always change majors at the end of 1st yr - in that case, the two subjects u chose as electives in 1st yr become ur 'option' subjects (assuming these subjects dont count towards your new major)

ok that sounded confusing..

nerdd

Originally posted by kimmeh
anything?
can i be a dolphin? :p

seriusoly.. what and where do most graduates find a job as?

sounds tooo general
yup, what minai said!!
it gives you so many options when you finish uni..
you could become something as simple (pfft) as an accountant, (of course u gotta do the other requirements like the CPA and other crap) or you could work in a bank as a bank manager, you could just be a manager in general, open up your own business, be a financial advisor, marketer (which is what i want to do! :D) etc etc.
heaps of stuff :)

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Minai
ppl always change majors at the end of 1st yr
thats usally from actuarial to accounting or infosys to finance :rolleyes: i've heard that cis is the most booooring subject ever ....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by SoFTuaRiaL
thats usally from actuarial to accounting or infosys to finance :rolleyes: i've heard that cis is the most booooring subject ever ....
ah crap - i have to do CIS nxt yr as part of CPA/CA requirements..

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Minai
ah crap - i have to do CIS nxt yr as part of CPA/CA requirements..
infact, u dont even need CIS for CPA anymore, apparently, its not a requirement anymore ....
u better check this up before u enrol into it ...

TUPAC

hey can anyone help me with the job prospect of a commerce line. Is there prospects in the field, i was thinking of doing something realted to E-Commerce

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by TUPAC
hey can anyone help me with the job prospect of a commerce line. Is there prospects in the field, i was thinking of doing something realted to E-Commerce
there isnt an "ecom" course at unsw. what u can do is a BCom in information systems. commerce has a very very good scope atm, but not IT. so if ure really interested in the infosys course, maybe u should be looking to do a second major in accounting/actuarial/finance ....

Mill

HSC
If you are considering actuarial studies start with it as your major. You can change from actuarial to like anything, but you can't change into actuarial as far as I know. We do the hardest maths and an actual actuarial subject in first year. You would be too far behind I guess that's why they don't let you. So start with actuarial if you are considering it.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
A few questions. If i choose Actuary as my major, do you think a combined degree is a good idea? right now im leaning towards sci or comp sci combined with commerce... what are the prospects doing this?

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
you probably can do that but my teacher who her daughter is an actuary told me that a double degree wont be of muych benefit workin as an actuary

kaseita

only if your working as a straight actuary

combined is good, but it depends on what you combine with.

comp sci is good, cause you'll need alot of computing knowledge when you go out to work, and its good to have that familiarity with the progs (so I've been told)

with sci, depends on what you want to do with it. most people go with maths, again to supplement their actuarial understanding.

I believe though, that straight commerce degree is mainly what companies like to look for - mainly finance. people I know in the workforce have said that its a very good combination, because it induces alot of respect, and so its easier to jump into management and higher paid jobs. the actual finance side itself doesn't do that, but it provides the background that companies like you to have about the economy, etc.

you'll find that the co-op people are made to do straight commerce (though I *think* some still do actuarial studies and maths).

all that aside, if your looking for advantage, then that's what you go for.
if you can make actuary alone however, you're still at a great advantage, because of the demand that's being generated for it.
so choose what you like. even if you don't like the above, just choose something you'd enjoy as well (I'm doing physics for example)

ToRnaDo

HSC
Could u guy please tell me what sort of subjects in Auctuarial Study in the 1st year of Uni???

Is it good idea to combine Actuarial study with Computer Science. I'd love to do Physics as well because it is my best subject :)

kaseita

you do the same subs as normal commerce ppl (accounting, economics, etc.), except you do the harder maths (math for actuarial n finance), and in 2nd semester, u start ur first actuarial subject, which is like an introductory subject.

that's why its easier to transfer into something else if you can't handle it - u don't really diverge from most comm people until 2nd yr.

i've been told its a good idea to combine with comp.sci. I don't know how many ppl do though.

I do know that hardly anyone combines with physics! in first year, there's just me and one other. the only other one I know of is in 4th yr...so yea, if you do decide to do that, be prepared to feel unique :D

ToRnaDo

HSC
thank u soo much!!! Ohhhh yeahh when i went to lecture for Auctuarial study for nsw open days, i heard just a few people did Physics in Auctuarial Study .... It must be you hehehhe

kaseita

they mentioned it?

hehe, i'm surprised they even noticed :p

hey yea, if you do decide to do phys, just contact me and I can help a lil. u'll end up with some clashes with lecture times, but that's ok :)

kaseita

well, in first semester it was mainly the boring ol'mechanics

2nd semester, we covered wave and quantum theory, and then after the mid-semesters, covered AC theory, nuclear, thermal, planets, and special relativity....aawww man, I'm goina have a heck of a week >.<
my phys exam is next mon and I have to learn all that lol.

as a physics majorer though, u basically cover every single field possible, cause u have to fulfill all your credit points. of course, there's still room to avoid stuff u might not want to learn...

btw, just so u know, uni phys is quite a bit different to hsc - alot of maths, and also alot more interesting! unless u go to usyd though... their course is still a lil like hsc... but maybe not in higher years.
and we get special projects to do! like the one I just did goes towards the international astronomical society for evaluation of radio frequency levels in NSW, and for further experimentation. its not a particularly interesting thing, but hey, it feels important :).

ToRnaDo

HSC
oh wow.......lots of maths in Physics! :). I like it! :). Mechanics is very interesting fields of Physics...lot of maths and understanding all kind of forces :). Anyway, good luck for ur exams!!!!

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Can anyone tell me (preferably as objectively as possible):

1. Is Economics better at UNSW or USYD? What are the differences, if any?

2. In the Financial Review (Monday 24/11/03), it said that there was a concern by the Economic Society of Australia that standards in Economics courses were falling... what does that mean exactly and has anyone experienced major problems in Economics courses that are out of their control and a hindrance to their studies???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)