Welcome to French class of 2003 (1 Viewer)

kini mini

HSC
Bienvenue....

Feel free to post questions, requests for material in French or English. I will answer questions on exam format and ways to practice if you post new threads here, and I'll be making some of my own notes available online soon :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
making attempts at attracting new customers ... oh, wait, i mean members ... to the french world ... well, latin shall rule all world just as the romans did ... :)

Lolliana

bonjour tout le monde

Im studying 3 units of french, and finding it incredibly difficult, however i am passionate about french, and the mind is willing to work (even if the body would rather lie comatose)
any infomation about the french exams and how i can best prepare myself, would be greatly appreciated

merci

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
bonjour et bienvenue les nouvelle etudiants de 2003...

lol.. damn it been so long since i spoke french...
anyway, u got any HSC french exam q's feel free to ask... i suffered with the HSC last yr so my knowledge is somewhat recent. :D (even if my french isnt!)

as for being the best prepared for the exam...
practise ur speaking... alot... be prepared for anything in the oral
eg, if u say ur a writer they will ask u abt one of ur stories...

know how to write letters - to employers and friends
know how to write emails and postcards using different language structures - the more varied the better your marks will be.
if u practise alot (which i didnt do) u'll be fine... french is pretty easy.. even for lazy ppl

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Lolliana
bonjour tout le monde

Im studying 3 units of french, and finding it incredibly difficult, however i am passionate about french, and the mind is willing to work (even if the body would rather lie comatose)
any infomation about the french exams and how i can best prepare myself, would be greatly appreciated

merci
Bonjour Lolliana :)

I might write a FAQ on the format of the exams in a new thread, have a look for it tomorrow :).

As for preparation - there isn't too much to it really, work consistently throughout the year and you will be ready. Don't forget oral and aural work either, they need regualr practice too.

bex

HSC
if theres one thing i learnt bout doing french last year....

practice.. hard.. a lot...just keep practising!!

babyjess

HSC
N/A
ok, so i dont take french, but was wondering how to say and write the following words in this language...

HOUSE
NEW (nouvelle?)
SISTER
FAMILY

merci
(learnt that one while in Noumea)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by babyjess
ok, so i dont take french, but was wondering how to say and write the following words in this language...

HOUSE
NEW (nouvelle?)
SISTER
FAMILY

merci
(learnt that one while in Noumea)
I don't know how to convey pronunciation online sorry, but the words you are looking for are

la maison = the house
(adj) nouveau/nouvelle (masc/fem) = new
la soeur = sister ('o' and 'e' joined, I can't remember the term for that)
la famille = family

Why do you want to know this stuff by the way? :)

Tanya

Salut

Ohhh, bonjor ca va tout le monde...
ohhh francais REALLY sucks! Id like to speak it weel and stuff but its just so darn Hard. And i aint looking forward to the speaking. We gotta come in on a saturday after the trails and speak to some examiner in french for 10 mins! GAHHHHHH
examiner>>:mad1: me to examiner :chainsaw: lol

Pardon my french... lol
:argue:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
u dnt like it? i like it, its cool being able 2 understand other things

and kini mini - i thought u were a girl :confused:

edit: woo-hoo, i just used quick edit 4 the 1st time

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
When two letters are joined to form a new character it is called a "ligature" (lit "a joint")

And... yeah, French is probably the least useful of all languages listed here (except Italian, which is really dirty Latin anyway :D) Spanish is the most widespread, then German, Japanese, French, and Italian. Latin doesn't count, but it's interesting nonetheless :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer

And... yeah, French is probably the least useful of all languages listed here (except Italian, which is really dirty Latin anyway :D) Spanish is the most widespread, then German, Japanese, French, and Italian. Latin doesn't count, but it's interesting nonetheless :)
1. u dont need those things anymore
2. least useful?? i doubt it, where can u speak latin huh?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
1. u dont need those things anymore
2. least useful?? i doubt it, where can u speak latin huh?
Note the "Latin doesn't count" - for speaking.

Linguistically, it is the fundamental source of English, French, Spanish, Italian, and half of German. I think most people agree that's a bloody useful thing to understand, because it gives greater perception into the etymology of all Romance languages (most of Europe) and a reasonable insight into the Germanic/Teutonic family. Great stuff, Latin is.

Edit: of course, there's always the world's smallest land nation - The Vatican City!

Last edited:

emily

french is cool, now you can understand everything people say at olympics! (ok, yes, i'm an idiot...)

but seriously, knowing any secong language is useful, even if it's just to give you a solid base to work off when learning other, more widespread lanuages...

mmm, just a quick question - how on earth are you guys studying for french? i mean, i'm reading when i can, but other than that i can't really think of what to do!!

RJ

HSC
emily,

try "Le journal" each day at 9am on SBS, keep those writing tasks coming and, as you say, reading is a good idea. I don't believe there is such thing as "French cramming". It is a progressive skill that you build up, so I'm sure you're much more prepared than you think you are!

emily

well that would be nice!

yeah, i know you can't really, it just freaks me out to talk to people who are 'studying french madly', meh...

Lolliana

hey emily
if you want to write to me in french, that would be cool
we could talk about the continuers issues, you know personal world, family and all that
we could correct each others letters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)