Well, I was completely wrong about Gillespie (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannahMc

HSC
After the ashes I could have sworn he'd never see another test match after the ashes. I had enormous doubts of his ability when I heard he was going to play against Bangladesh. Yet I was proven wrong, he came out with something to prove.

Now's the time to come clean: who else could have sworn his career was over only to cheer when he got his century? ;)

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Should probably be in the cricket thread. And are you really a chick? Someone with your sort of knowledge is most probably a guy, lol.

I never thought his career was over, but didn't think he would be back until McGrath retires (should be after the 07 WC, I think).

Well deserved from the man without the mullet, Hussey also played well.

HannahMc

HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Should probably be in the cricket thread. And are you really a chick? Someone with your sort of knowledge is most probably a guy, lol.

I never thought his career was over, but didn't think he would be back until McGrath retires (should be after the 07 WC, I think).

Well deserved from the man without the mullet, Hussey also played well.
Haha I am actually female, and new here, as I'm sure you can tell since I posted this in the wrong thread ;)

Hussey has been playing reaaly well, yeah! It's too bad he had to wait so long for his big chance to be on the team, but he's making good of it.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Haha understood.

And yes, Hussey has certainly stood out since he entered the fray. I am not sure whether an introduction five years earlier would have rendered such rich results as it has now .. there wasn't really a need for him back then anyway:

Slater
Hayden
Langer
M Waugh
S Waugh
Ponting
Gilchrist

This was the top seven around 2001. There wasn't any room there for Mike Hussey.

volition

arr.
HSC
this will give the media stuff to talk about for a week... gillespie getting 201... geez

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I don't like Gillespie. He always comes in and acts like his wicket is important and doesn't try and hit it or get out like a good tail ender should. So he got 201, big deal. He spent far too much time out their. Time that could be used by better batsmen to get the same amount of runs quicker.

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I don't like Gillespie. He always comes in and acts like his wicket is important and doesn't try and hit it or get out like a good tail ender should. So he got 201, big deal. He spent far too much time out their. Time that could be used by better batsmen to get the same amount of runs quicker.
I mentioned this in the other thread, but i really beleive Lee should have got the ooporunity to play on that pitch against that attack, after getting countless 40 not outs in conditions whre the top 7 failed (ashes), now gillespie is porbably going to get alot more undeserved accolades for his apparently great knock, but im telling you although it was a great innings some of the tailender innings played by Warne and Lee in the ashes were much better, but the stats will never show that.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
the entire aussie took a cautios approach u know? 201 is no easy feat. only two other bowlers w.akram and i.botham have done it, and both are way better batsman than gillespie.

india level the series against pakkistan, sehwag seems to be back in form. Dravid man of the match.

HannahMc

HSC
And either way, the Aussies declared after he got his 201st, so it's not as though it would have been much different with anyone else. Given as Gillespie came in after being dropped for over 6 months, I think he needed this. It did take him a long time, if I remember right his century was from 46 hits on over 200 balls.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
but his 2nd hundred came off 130 odd balls i think, not too shabby.

also hotshot, if you count ian botham as a bowler, then surely sir arfield sobers 360 odd would also count...

Asuka

HSC
I truly thought his career was over, I dont think he's deffinatley back in the side yet but he really did his cause some good. He didn't look that great during the domestic season though so there is still some lingering doubts there for me, but his batting is deffinatley something to be considered, 201 over 3 days is a testament to his concentration it may give Australia more options with 5 bowlers instead of playing Symonds =/

Hussey has been going great but he really only perfected his technique over the last 3 years or so, he should have been called up to the one day squad around 2003-4 and given a test debut in the Ashes imho, but you can't win them all. The man I would like to see given a run is his brother David, he's just over 2 years younger, averages over 50 in first class and I think would be the next batsman on the list for a recall after Cosgrove and maybe Hayden for the one day team.

HannahMc

HSC
Asuka said:
I truly thought his career was over, I dont think he's deffinatley back in the side yet but he really did his cause some good. He didn't look that great during the domestic season though so there is still some lingering doubts there for me, but his batting is deffinatley something to be considered, 201 over 3 days is a testament to his concentration it may give Australia more options with 5 bowlers instead of playing Symonds =/

Hussey has been going great but he really only perfected his technique over the last 3 years or so, he should have been called up to the one day squad around 2003-4 and given a test debut in the Ashes imho, but you can't win them all. The man I would like to see given a run is his brother David, he's just over 2 years younger, averages over 50 in first class and I think would be the next batsman on the list for a recall after Cosgrove and maybe Hayden for the one day team.
I agree that he isn't definitely back on the side. However, this will help him get another chance. If he had messed this one up, or even simply played at an average level, we would never see him back on the team. If he does well in the next ashes series I think he'll have permanently re-gained his place on the team.

David Hussey has done very well, you're right. Hayden would still be taken over him, but he might turn out like Hussey: getting a late start but proving to be an invaluable asset to the team. I hope so at least. I saw a show about the brothers, and I've taken a great liking to them both, on and off the field.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Hmm can we stick this in the Cricket thread please, thank ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)