Westinghouse And Edison (1 Viewer)

ichigo.bankai

HSC
HEY people i need help with "THE BATTLE OF THE CURRENTS"i need more info on this topic i cant find much info about it and i have an assignment due this friday so can somone be kind enough to help me out with my messed up state:worried:

zingerburger

HSC
I was never great at this part of the topic either, but I can try to help.

Basically, Westinghouse bought the rights of AC electricity from Tesla because Tesla was reluctant - and didn't have the money - to promote AC. Edison had already been developing DC and was promoting and selling it to people that lived within a few hundred or so metres from his house, where the DC generator he'd built was situated.

AC voltage could be stepped up or down to minimise power loss or be safer around urban and suburban areas, respectively. DC electricity had huge power losses over long distances, hence the reason why Edison could only sell it to people within a close vicinity of the generator. Ultimately, the reason why AC won was because of it's flexibility and relative safety compared to DC.

If anyone else has anything to add, feel free. I may have forgotten to write a fair bit...

zingerburger

HSC
Also, try searching "Bob Emery" in Google. He has a site completely devoted to the HSC Physics topic that might contain some useful information.

littlemaster

HSC
Edison- DC system, all his inventions ran on DC, needed to find faults in Westinghouses system in order to "preserve his monopoly."

- he held public demonstrations and executed live animals to show that AC wasn't safe.

Westinghouse- AC system; he knew it was more effiecient due to its trasformability.

Competition: A big company offered a large sum of money, to anyone who could build a hydroelectric scheme for the Niagra Falls, and effieciently transmit it to a nearby town- Buffalo. Both ppl took up the challenge

Winner + Why- Edison won in 1896(i think), because:
- AC could be transformed and hence reduced power loss during transmission
-The design for an AC generator was more simple, hence cheaper
-AC generators didnt have commutators, hence they were more effiecient and reqired less maintenance than DC
-The DC commutators had daner of short circuiting

jlnWind

HSC
littlemaster said:
Edison- DC system, all his inventions ran on DC, needed to find faults in Westinghouses system in order to "preserve his monopoly."

- he held public demonstrations and executed live animals to show that AC wasn't safe.

Westinghouse- AC system; he knew it was more effiecient due to its trasformability.

Competition: A big company offered a large sum of money, to anyone who could build a hydroelectric scheme for the Niagra Falls, and effieciently transmit it to a nearby town- Buffalo. Both ppl took up the challenge

Winner + Why- Westinghouse won in 1896(i think), because:
-AC generators didnt have commutators, hence they were more effiecient and reqired less maintenance than DC
Hey little master i reckon that was a really good answer.
But um i think by 1896 AC had already started winning
1891- Germany did an AC test 160km and it was 77% efficient.
and also
1893- Chicago World Fair- Edison offered to power it for 1000000 bucks, but when Westinhouse offered it for half price he got the deal.

fretsonfire74

HSC
littlemaster said:

Winner + Why- Edison won in 1896(i think), because:
Actually it was westinghouse who won.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)