Westinghouse Vs. Edison (1 Viewer)

PRSOV

Hey physics students,
Our physics teacher never acknowledged or taught us in the syllabus (or what was in the syllabus) about the Westinghouse Vs. Edison information. If anyone can let me know...please post it here..

Thanks,
M. Nicol

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
argh~! i believe there are a number of threads already on this topic... =P search it dude~! =)

Inhuman

HSC
A (very) short summary:

Edison wanted DC power, Westinghouse wanted AC. At one point Edison electrocuted a criminal to 'prove' how dangerous AC was. However Westinghouse won anyway...not sure how, probably because it can be transmitted with less losses and stuff.
So now we all use AC andwe live happily ever after ;)

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Here you go

Edison vs Westinghouse

In the late nineteenth century, Edison favoured generating and supplying direct current (DC) electricity while Westinghouse promoted the use of alternating current (AC) electricity.

Edison had the initial advantage that the technology for generating DC was well established and DC worked well over short distances. However, DC could only be generated and distributed at the voltages at which it was used by consumers. This meant that currents in conductors were large, leading to huge and expensive energy losses over distances of more than one or two kilometres. To supply a large city required many power stations throughout the city and an unattractive proliferation of wires to carry the required current.

The great advantage of AC was that, through the use of transformers , the voltage could be stepped up or down as required. This meant that AC could be generated at moderately low voltages, stepped up to high voltages for transmission over great distances and stepped down again to lower voltages for consumers. The higher voltage meant that AC could be transmitted over greater distances than DC, with smaller energy losses. Power stations could be fewer and further apart and conductors could be lighter.

The economic advantages of AC, including the smaller energy losses and the economy of scale in needing fewer power stations further apart, along with the unattractive web of wires required for DC, supported Westinghouses solution to the supply of electricity over Edisons. AC received a boost in popularity with Teslas invention of the induction motor which operates only on AC.

Competition was not always open and fair. Edison had a vested interest in DC as he owned hundreds of DC power stations and all of his many electrical inventions to that time ran on DC. Edison attempted to prove that AC was very dangerous by electrocuting animals on stage and convincing authorities to use AC for the first electric chair. He resorted to legal tactics in an attempt to have AC banned and to prevent its use with his inventions. Edison seems to have unreasonably shunned AC electricity. AC eventually came to be the dominant form in which electricity is generated world-wide.

But DC has the advantage of not causing losses through electromagnetic radiation or magnetic induction. With solid-state switching it is now relatively simple to change between DC and AC at high or low voltages. High voltage DC transmission is now practicable. Scientists are striving to develop super-conducting wires for power transmission. If they do, DC could become the preferred current for long distance transmission. There is already a 500 kV DC submarine transmission line carrying 2800 MW over 50 km between the two islands of Shikoku and Kansai in Japan.

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
Originally posted by SmokedSalmon
But DC has the advantage of not causing losses through electromagnetic radiation or magnetic induction. With solid-state switching it is now relatively simple to change between DC and AC at high or low voltages. High voltage DC transmission is now practicable. Scientists are striving to develop super-conducting wires for power transmission. If they do, DC could become the preferred current for long distance transmission. There is already a 500 kV DC submarine transmission line carrying 2800 MW over 50 km between the two islands of Shikoku and Kansai in Japan.
Hooray some mention of Japan in the syllabus!

-X-

HSC
N/A
lol wouldnt DC be more dangerous? I mean its more powerfull and all.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
lol wouldnt DC be more dangerous? I mean its more powerfull and all.

DC and AC both measured in WATTS/Volts/Amp only they are different types of electricity.
So both are as powerful as each teacher.

I think Edison was planning to send DC power at a much lower voltage than what Westinghouse/Nikolai Tesla was planning to send it. (As high voltage and low current means lower power loss).
Therefore Edison stressed that AC power sent at that high voltages were dangerous and electrocuted crimininals and even an elephant. (He was bullshitting for his own vested interests as he owned DC Generator plants and invented many DC appliances)

Dragie

HSC
Emma-Jayde said:
He electrocuted much more that an elephant to discredit Westinghouse!! Dogs, cats, horses, all to prove that AC power supply was more dangerous than DC
How mean! I'm against animal cruelty!!!!!!!!! haha meh...I'm hungry...wait - where's my dog?????!!!!

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Emma-Jayde said:
He electrocuted much more that an elephant to discredit Westinghouse!! Dogs, cats, horses, all to prove that AC power supply was more dangerous than DC
mmmmmmmm not necessarily SHOW, but to GIVE THE IMPRESSION that AC is more dangerous than DC. i mean, i could prolly get those same animals and electrocute them with DC, and produce the same painful results.

another important information that people have lacked to supply in the posts is the involvement of Nikola Tesla. do some research into him, and all the pieces will come together to understand this "War of Currents"

considerthis215

HSC
Inhuman said:
A (very) short summary:

Edison wanted DC power, Westinghouse wanted AC. At one point Edison electrocuted a criminal to 'prove' how dangerous AC was. However Westinghouse won anyway...not sure how, probably because it can be transmitted with less losses and stuff.
So now we all use AC and we live happily ever after ;)
that's debatable lol now we all depend on electricity i bet we wouldn't survive long in a black out i give us a month tops

philxe

HSC
hey, could any 1 shed light on how would i be able to answer this question if its a 6 or 7 marker.

There are only a few points i can see scoring marks

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
I would say, mention the two people firstly. Then talk about how reach one of them has its advantages, and that AC is the better one due to less line loss ect, then how Edison tried to say AC was bad, and electricuted animals and said they were "westinghoused". Then mention that nikola tesla worked for edison, then westinghouse, and sold is AC dynamo patents to westinghouse. Then maybe mention that westinghouse won the rights to set up the Niagara fals or w/e power system, and some gay fair in NY haha. "therefore westinghouse destroyed the competition of edisons DC power".. This may be extremely brief, and slightly incorrect, but its just a starting off point to a tough qu like this. Maybe Lucid can clear a few things up haha.

helper

HSC
N/A
philxe said:
hey, could any 1 shed light on how would i be able to answer this question if its a 6 or 7 marker.

There are only a few points i can see scoring marks
If you look back at the past papers, they have. The biggest thing was how you present the answer. They asked for arguments, so anyone who just quoted advantages of the Westinghouse method or AC couldn't obtain more than half marks.

It comes down to structuring the answer to the question, which a lot of students don't.

Eg in last years paper most students ignore the word TODAY in the asses question on generators.

gabgab

HSC
so basically, edison was a fool. deadset.

he had to have known that DC was not the way to go.

AC was chosen due to its superior ability to be transformed over DC, and that meant that it could be transported at high voltage, low current, thus generating less heat due to the decreased amount of current, and therefore losing less energy.

for like, a 6 mark question, i presume you would have to mention the benefits and disadvantages of each, and why westinghouse "won" the battle.

use an example, like the long distance transportation from uhm, was it Niagra Falls? i cant remember. but yep

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)