Westpac Mathematics Competition (1 Viewer)

ronaldinho

Banned
HSC
Maths comp [westpac]

any1 got any tips or hints on how to approach the maths comp.. im doing the senior level test because in year 11,,,

got any good websites for trial papers on maths comp> if o plz post.. thanks!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Re: Maths comp [westpac]

They sell books such as 'Problem solving via the AMC' and 'mathematics toolchest' they cost around $40-60 each check your school library or if you can borrow one from a maths teacher.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

have u done it before? i got top 4% last year

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC

z600 said:
have u done it before? i got top 4% last year
I've gone close to a high distinction before, but can't remember which year that was in. But that was when I took the Westpac Maths Comp seriously.

For this year, I'm just going to walk in, do the test and walk out.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC

f3nr15 said:
Damn ... my only best was a distinction in Year 4 ... nothing better before or after ...
haha I know how you feel.

Riviet

HSC
N/A

If you're keen on doing well in it, do as many past papers that you can get your hands on. Use general multi-choice strategies like elimination. If you are stuck on a question, you should move on and come back later if you have time. If you happen to be running short of time, start guessing the one's you've missed out. Try to get through the easier questions as efficiently as possible to leave you with some more time for the more challenging problems.

csuwai

BOS Member
HSC

if ur doing the senior paper, dont just skip the quesiton and think that u mite get some marks 4 it.. it s different this yr, and u wont get any free marks.. Even though i agree with Riviet, i dont think u can afford to skip a lot of questions

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

The last 5 question to me is WTF and NFI most of the time.

Riviet

HSC
N/A

You should at least read through them and see if you can make any sense of those harder ones, only in the last few minutes should you just guess or put in random numbers as SoulSearcher said. ;)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

Riviet said:
You should at least read through them and see if you can make any sense of those harder ones, only in the last few minutes should you just guess or put in random numbers as SoulSearcher said. ;)
Ye i do that, but the chances are like 80% wrong

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Hey, I was wondering who else is doing the WMC this year? If so, or if you have done it before, how would you usually study for it (if you do study for it at all)?

Oh, and post any great results you have achieved from these competitions (can be science, english or maths).

Thanks

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
I go into competititons blind, i have a good night sleep and a good breakfast.
I got a english test and the competition 2morrow, a chemistry quiz on friday as well a doing a experiement infront of a year 12 chemistry class (i am in year 10).

math: best result i got was top 4% in my state (2% away from a HD)
i got 3 distinctions and 1 credit

Science: 4 distinction and 1 HD

computer ( i dono y i bother) 1 distinction (done it once)

English: lol never got past credit ( i sleep after like 45 mintues, it's so boring)

I am trying out the chemistry one and a finacial literacy competition this year.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A

I personally don't see a point in doing well in the maths comp but hey, skipping two periods is fine by me.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A

Your periods are pretty short yeah? I skip maths just to do maths again, gah, how lame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)