Banned
HSC
hey guys this comp was easy as
i alternated HDs and Prizes from year 7-12

SoAmazing

HSC
hey guys this comp was easy as
i alternated HDs and Prizes from year 7-12
Ive got HD/prize ever since year 7 with the prudence award (though it was called a special achievement award when i was in year 7) as well and i still wouldnt call this competition "easy" as such. A number of questions are simple but the contrary is also true, some are quite complex and can stun even the brightest among us. The last few questions ARE HARD!!
in any case, back to the question that started this thread. I would simply recommend that you not pay much attention to the westpac comp and focus on your other study. many of the questions you face in the westpac come from implicit skills you learn in your maths classes. but if your really keen than you can buy their books i guess. but is it really worth it?
Good luck to anyone who will be doing the wespac. (those who are in melbourne who really want to test their intelligence should ask their teachers about the melbourne university maths competition) :bomb::spzz: haha (now aint that a fun way to spend three hours "points out the saturated sarcasm")

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Also, just a tip for this years Westpac Maths comp. It is useful to know important facts about the number that is the year in which the paper is set ie 2009. It is useful to know about the number 2009 because Australian Mathematics Competitions will almost always have a question that has the year in it. The most important feature to know about a number is its prime factorization. The prime factorization of 2009 is:

So note that:

• 2009 is not a prime number
  • 2009 is not a perfect square
  • 2009 is not a perfect cube
  • 2009 is only divisible by 7 and 41

This will help you alot when you get the question which has 2009 in it =)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I dont know about maths but my tutor does med and he said in the chemistry competition he wrote a load of bull for most questions and he came out with a distinction... Stranger things had happened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)