What advice can year 12 pass on to year 11? (1 Viewer)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Firstly make sure you are actually doing subjects you like, it makes going to class alot easier.

Build a regular study program (but i am evidence that you can get good ranks without :p )

Put 100% in for each assessment, even if it is only worth 5%, its often those assessments that differentiate first from second

Lastly, don't take yourself too seriously.

nwatts

HSC
Sweets said:
Put 100% in for each assessment, even if it is only worth 5%, its often those assessments that differentiate first from second
Yep - totally. I slacked off for one assessment early in the year, and it is the reason I'm 3rd not 2nd in English. I stupidly picked a field of study for a Modern assessment that didn't have any research material in English, and it is the reason i'm 2nd not 1st.

Ie, assessments count!

s0k0y0e0

HSC
organise yourself a good study timetable that you will be able to stick to...maybe you could practice it through the hols!

Study is the key! :uhhuh:

But make sure you slot in some time out as well! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jdrockefeller

HSC
Um... The only advice I can give you is to just enjoy these holidays. Don't pick up a book at all, do some light reading of your English texts in the Christmas holidays, but fuck, seriously, are we aiming for a burn-out by mid '06? If so, keep going.

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
I definitely agree with everyone who suggested tostart righting notes after every lesson. If you find you're a little ahead, go with it. This saved me in chemistry, as I was able to know a little bit about what we were studying in class so I already had questions prepared to ask. These holidays you could spend getting prepared, read some english texts, buy a heap of folders, one for each subject. Try and stay organised throughout the year, for example, in chemistry every sheet I got I labled it with it's corresponding dot point in the syllabus. It really helped when I was preparing for exams when I knew what they'd contain. There's lots more that you'll learn along the way... Good luck!

rama_v

HSC
Make sure you enjoy Year 12, enjoy coming to class and relish it - you will miss it on your last day of school (even if you think to the contrary) , so make the best of it :D

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
my advice: run.. just run now.. get out
ha i kid
do your homework, relax and be good to your family

Mandy101

HSC
Start now! Just work consistently and you won't have to kill yourself studying everytime an assessment rocks around. And have a life!! Balance is key - I work my ass off, but I also dance, go to the gym, have a part-time job, and go out at least once a weekend.

3G'sMt5:16

HSC
da syllabuss is da key =)print it all out and juss read through all of it very BRIEFLY.. dont write all over it.. juss read over it even though you dunno bout it... when you do learn it.. facts will sink in slowly in ur brain.. KEYWORDS definately a must know.. get it from board of stud

ehh.. get a goal and work towards it.. if you cant get it.. get an alternative goal.. lol.. like me.. i wanted to become a astronomer, but change my mind to become an electrician.. hehe

dass it for the helpzzz.. ciao

HSC
If i was you I wouldnt be doing "nothing" during summer holidays, or the term 3->4 holidays, id prepare for some subjects, study ahead, get into the routine now

during summer, put about 2-3 hours aside each day (even 9-12 every day is enough) study ahead, i guarantee you by the time you go over it AGAIN Term 1 2005 (term 2 year 12), and then study it AGAIN for half yearlies, you'll annihilate it

im serious when I say maintain this 2-3 hours a day study at least, because you are likely to double that around exams, plus stay in the habit, once you loose the habit, its very hard to get back into it, took me a week to get back into my study habit

elisabeth

HSC
This is the best advice I've had:

The more you do, the less tired you'll be. It's not what you do that makes you tired, it's what you don't do. Achievement and hard work will not wear you out. What will wear you out is the weight on your shoulders of knowing that you should be working harder than you currently are.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
In these holidays: Read over the syllabuses and look through your textbooks. Get a general idea of the structure of the course and the general gist of the content.

In the summer holidays you should really be getting into it. Go ahead of your class. In year 12 much of the learning is done by yourself anyway and the teachers are only there for clarification. You have the syllabus, and your textbooks, go ahead and make notes on the future topics.....By the end of summer you SHOULD have a comprehensive understanding of the course, and its content.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Deus thats really great advice. In the summer holidays I will go ahead and read the future topics. Thanks alot :)

nwatts

HSC
Yeah, it's a good idea to familiarise yourself with the structure of each of your courses. But I wouldn't go ahead and begin teaching yourself things that will come up in the future (unless you know you've got a crappy teacher).

jdrockefeller

HSC
The best advice I can give you is to enjoy the holidays, enjoy year 12. Study, but do the bare minimum, up until STUVAC, nothing compares to Year 12. Go out, party, get wasted, but also balance it with study. Don't lock yourself in your room studying for 8 hours a day, it isn't worth it and it doesn't work.

If you look back on your HSC year in 2006 and think, where was the fun? You did it wrong. Waste time in study periods, kick the footy, drive off at lunchtimes with your mates to get takeaway (ours was Chinese every Thursday) and above all, don't let these BOS saps delude you into thinking the HSC is the be all and end all.

richz

my advice is to not do any work during the start of yr 11, and enjoy urself, but once ur half way thru yr 11, start to do sum work and then once u get to 12 work ur arse off. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)