What am I doing wrong? (1 Viewer)

jdennis

HSC
Hey everyone, wondering if anyone could please give me some advice. I've applied for a whole bunch of jobs but I haven't even been asked to one interview. Here's my CV (with all my personal details and those of references etc taken out) and an example cover letter I wrote for one application - all the others have been roughly similar.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B78tn9qCmcwwTkpWd3Q0YXF4SmM/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B78tn9qCmcwwMGNFSUlCVEh2ZHc/view?usp=sharing

Am I doing something wrong or is it just because I live in a regional shithole with too many people applying for too few jobs?

jdennis

HSC
I have applied for hundreds of jobs before I was able to get a job. My whole email inbox is full of rejection letters. Try applying for more. I hope I was helpful.
Thanks, yeah that's all I can do at the moment. Trouble is there's not much going in my town.

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm currently working within the hospitality industry, and to be honest, it isn't really want I want. I knew I was too late, handing in resumes and cover letter's here and there, but nope, all spots were taken, hence during the Summer holidays, all job opportunities and vacancies are taken up really quick.

Then I luckily got this job for the time being, just to earn some bucks. However, since school resumed, I was thinking of going 'round to the stores I went to before, and start handing out my resume, taking into consideration that there should be more opportunities vacant since all the 2k15 HSCer's have returned to their full time schooling.

So, my advice (this goes to me as well), get back out there and hit a lot more shops and organisations, you might get lucky.

Good luck to you!

jdennis

HSC
I'm currently working within the hospitality industry, and to be honest, it isn't really want I want. I knew I was too late, handing in resumes and cover letter's here and there, but nope, all spots were taken, hence during the Summer holidays, all job opportunities and vacancies are taken up really quick.

Then I luckily got this job for the time being, just to earn some bucks. However, since school resumed, I was thinking of going 'round to the stores I went to before, and start handing out my resume, taking into consideration that there should be more opportunities vacant since all the 2k15 HSCer's have returned to their full time schooling.

So, my advice (this goes to me as well), get back out there and hit a lot more shops and organisations, you might get lucky.

Good luck to you!
Thanks for the advice, and good luck to you too. I never really thought about how I was going to get a job this year, the GAP year plan in my head always skipped to the bit where I had ALL the money and it was time to go to Europe lol :)

I'm actually going to go around to a whole heap of places tomorrow and ask if any need staff, hospitality and other stuff, so I hope a few places respond in a positive way :)

jdennis

HSC
Well then, things changed quickly for me :)
So yesterday morning I printed off a whole heap of resumes and dropped them in to cafes, supermarkets etc in town. Then when I got home I got a call from the manager at one cafe who asked me to come in for an interview. So I did, and then last night I received a message from him offering me a position!
So that was completely unexpected, but I guess it pays to actually go to places and hand in a resume in person.

hovamagna

HSC
N/A
So yesterday morning I printed off a whole heap of resumes and dropped them in to cafes, supermarkets etc in town. Then when I got home I got a call from the manager at one cafe who asked me to come in for an interview. So I did, and then last night I received a message from him offering me a position!
So that was completely unexpected, but I guess it pays to actually go to places and hand in a resume in person.

Congrats! Sometimes taking it a step further does pay off

HSC
Nice work!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)