What approach would you take to this question? (1 Viewer)

danger stitch

HSC
Hey, doing a practice essay. Question is ‘How have the texts you have studied shaped your understanding of Imaginative Journeys?’

This is the introduction I've written for the question and sort of outlines the approach I'm taking to the question.

Shakespeare’s The Tempest, Tim Burton’s Big Fish and Robert Frost’s The Road Not Taken use their chosen media to effectively shape our understanding of the ways imaginative journeys are able to challenge our thinking. The Tempest and Big Fish use the journey along with the genre of fantasy and metaphor to explore ideas of love, power and reconciliation. The Road Not Taken uses the metaphor of the road through life to explore issues of the choices we make as humans. Each of these texts has been effective in shaping my understanding of the ways journeys present obstacles to be overcome, and how these obstacles force us to challenge ourselves and our perception of the world around us.

From here I've gone on to talk about the issues discussed in the texts, such as power relationships etc.

What are your thoughts?

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
my first thought is that your av freaks me out. sounds good! but remember that in your introduction you should define journey - just a sentence about moving from a - b or some such thing. and define your journey so in your case, and mine, a sentence or two about imaginative journey, obvious literal expedition removed for a journey that is limited only by one's capacity to imagine etc etc... just to show you know what you are talking about right from the get go...goodluck monday :)

danger stitch

HSC
So you agree that I should shape it to mainly discuss how the texts use the imaginative journey to challenge our thinking about issues.
I thought I was clear that that was the main point but over today I've questioned that view.

danger stitch

HSC
lislabella said:
a sentence or two about imaginative journey, obvious literal expedition removed for a journey that is limited only by one's capacity to imagine etc etc...
Not sure what this is saying. Is what you meant to say? :S

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
well, we are technically supposed to "illuminate" the ways that journeys are revealed through texts. if you say that they shape our understanding of the ways imaginative joruneys are able to challenge our thinking you don't really do that. my understanding of the area of study is that we show that techniques and language features create the idea of the journey... if you use that hypothesis then you would have to be really careful to prove your point and not go off on a tangent...

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
with the imaginative journey the obvious literal expedition is removed (in other words it isnt physical movement) it is limited (that is the journey is limited) only by our capacity to imagine.

make sense?

danger stitch

HSC
Yeah that's what I was worried you'd say. Fuck I have a big night and a big day ahead of me!!! :(

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Talk about how imaginative journeys act as a catalyst for change and allow one to learn, develop and change and it's not always the arrival that matters but what happens on the journey. Also talk about the power of speculation, imagination can have on one's journey/life.

danger stitch

HSC
Yeah I was having a bit of trouble with incoorporating speculation. How do you do so in The Tempest?

enigma~

HSC
You don't have to define a jounrey, you can imply a definition through your introduction. You can, however, outline the elements that you feel are embodied in an imaginative journey (if you refer to the syllabus thats speculation, imagination and inspiration). Through your argument you can also talk about 'discovery'. I'm guessing that this year the journeys question will be something about obstacles/challenges so if you prepare something along those lines that will be good preparation for the exam. Don't let other people's opinions influence what you write, if you want advice ring the advice line. If not, keep what you have and be confident. :)

hipPo3

HSC
sunjet said:
Talk about how imaginative journeys act as a catalyst for change and allow one to learn, develop and change and it's not always the arrival that matters but what happens on the journey. Also talk about the power of speculation, imagination can have on one's journey/life.
thats a really good analogy to use ..
what i have to say has already been said :( .. but yea, basically everything up there ^^

dr3amy

try not to talk about techniques in the intro, define journey and state your thesis and stance to the question. its also not necessary to list the texts intro esp for a non essay text type

danger stitch

HSC
Are you serious? Of course you should introduce your texts in the introduction!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)