What are Free Options? (1 Viewer)

fugi

HSC
Hi, i'm transferring into Commerce/Law this year and am planning on an Accounting Major for Commerce.

Now, on the handbook, it says that i am required to complete 48UOC for a single major, which from this list:

Required Courses

* ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
* ACCT1511 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1B (6 UOC)
* ACCT2522 Management Accounting: (6 UOC)
* ACCT2542 Corporate Financial Reporting (6 UOC)
* ACCT3563 Issues in Financial Reporting (6 UOC)

Options

* ACCT3583 Management Accounting 2 (6 UOC)
* ACCT3585 E-Business: Strategy & Process (6 UOC)
* ACCT3601 Global Financial Reporting & (6 UOC)
* ACCT3610 Financial Statement Analysis (6 UOC)
* ACCT3708 Auditing & Assurance Services (6 UOC)
* FINS3626 Int'l Corporate Governance (6 UOC)

and I am aiming for CA which requires these commerce subjects (ive left out the legt ones because my law side of the degree cover them):

Required courses

* ACCT2522 Management Accounting 1 (6 UOC)
* ACCT2542 Corporate Financial Reporting (6 UOC)
* ACCT3563 Issues in Financial Reporting (6 UOC)
* ACCT3583 Management Accounting 2 (6 UOC)
* ACCT3708 Auditing & Assurance Services (6 UOC)

* FINS1613 Business Finance (6 UOC)
* INFS1602 Info Systems in Business (6 UOC)

Now how am i supposed to do FIN1613 and INFS1602 when theyre not on the list from where im supposed to get hte 48UOC from for my Accounting Major?

And i also notice that the CA requirements only cover 7 subjects (42UOC) from the Accounting Major's list.

Now ive heard of something called free options, and im assuming thats how you are supposed to fit in more things..but i cant seem to find an explanation for what they are on the handbook, and the more i look the more i'm getting confused. Can anyone help out?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Now ive heard of something called free options, and im assuming thats how you are supposed to fit in more things..but i cant seem to find an explanation for what they are on the handbook, and the more i look the more i'm getting confused. Can anyone help out?
Free options are basically any courses within the same faculty as your degree and also courses that aren't specifically required for your majors. Think of them as geneds but within your faculty.

BeeCom

HSC
UNSW web site is wrong. You don't need INFS1602 or Management Accounting 2 for CA. Cbfed searching the CA website for the document but it's there.

joshuaali

HSC
Uhh
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/faculties/2009/comm/ProfRecognitionUG.html#TheInstituteofCharteredAccountantsinAustralia(ICAA) said:
* It is no longer mandatory to include ACCT3583 or ACCT3593 and INFS1602 but it is desirable to do so.

Last edited:

fugi

HSC
Free options are basically any courses within the same faculty as your degree and also courses that aren't specifically required for your majors. Think of them as geneds but within your faculty.
thanks for that information.

how do u accumulate these free options tho? or become eligible to receive them

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
thanks for that information.

how do u accumulate these free options tho? or become eligible to receive them
Just do some courses within business that aren't related to your majors.

Options provide a bit of flexibility within your degree because if you don't feel you want to continue a particular major and decide to switch later on, the courses you've already done will still be counted towards your degree. You don't have to do that many options though so just work on your majors and try and leave all the options and geneds last when you're about to finish your degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)