What are Lectures, Tutorials and Workshops? (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
OK, so for most of my courses I have Lectures, a Tutorials and Workshops? So what exactly are these and do I have to do one before I do the other:confused:?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ok, well for me, i have lectures, tutorials and laboratories

oh btw, this is just what ive heard from others

a lecture is when fifty million people go into the lecture hall and they usually fall asleep. it is very general, and its not really a question asking time

a tutorial is usually about 20 people in what resembles a classroom, it is when you ask questions and when you occassionally need your textbooks. i think the tutorer is a past student, like a fourth year or something (i think, not sure)

i presume your workshops are like my labs, its basically sorta like a tute, with a few more people, doing all the practical stuff rather than theory

as for the revision tutes, ive never heard of them, they could be a good idea, up to you really

izi

HSC
in my faculty workshops are sort of like tutes except everyone gets involved a lot more in discussing the clinical cases we get assigned

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Oh, OK thanks hipsta_jess:. So do you have to attend the Lectures, then the Tutorials and finally the Workshops/Laboratory's, or doesn't it mater what order you do them in:)?

izi

HSC
you attend the lecture first

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Thanks izi:). So the order in which you attend the Tutorials and Workshops doesn't matter, only that you must attend a Lecture first:)?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
the lec comes first, but its a lot easier to skip that than a tute, if you dont feel like going
but then unless you have some idea whats going on, you could get lost in the tutes

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
lect do not have compulsory attendance. tutes/pracs/labs/sem are different, attendance is dependant on how the unit is set up. sometime attendance is graded as a 'participation mark' in your assessments.

oh and as for which comes first, it depends on your timetable. for a uni had last semester, i had a tute before the lectures and turns out that the tutes, being more in depth, covered the lectures pretty good and i didn't even up going to the lectures.

attendance for revision tutorials depends if they will mark down your attendance or not. but usually they don't and its only for those students who want 'revision' before the exams.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I have a question.. does it make sense for a Chemistry lab class to have only five people?
That's one I've signed up for. How do we have lab partners?? :confused:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yeah, coz newcastle doesnt have a prescribed abbreviation, many people have taken to making their own up, this being one of them

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
thats prob just how many people have signed up so far, for the one i have signed up for (i think it was a tute, my lab hasnt opened yet) there was varying amounts, i think 25,50,60 (a few of each) but for some, only a couple of people had signed up, for others there was about a dozen so its prob the same for the labs

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Actually, I think it must be fine to attend the Tutorials and Workshops before the Lectures because on my timetable it shows that there are Tutorials and Workshops before the Lectures:).

sunny

meh.
HSC
It doesn't matter when tutes and labs are, as long as you've got them.

Sometimes its better to have tutes and labs after at least on lecture - so that you've learn the material in class before you do it in the tute/lab.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
If there are tutes and workshops before the lectures, they could be for the lecture the week before. Tutes and workshops are to reinforce the material learnt in lectures, and it's pretty hard to do that when you haven't learnt anything yet.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Thats why usually there are no tutes and labs in first week :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by sunny
Thats why usually there are no tutes and labs in first week :)
Thats why 1st week of session is the best! I have like..5 hours

I know some ppl that have got good marks in subjects by just going to tutorials and revising at home - not attending any lectures

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by user
If there are tutes and workshops before the lectures, they could be for the lecture the week before. Tutes and workshops are to reinforce the material learnt in lectures, and it's pretty hard to do that when you haven't learnt anything yet.
Understood:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)