what are my chances in undergrad law? (1 Viewer)

igottagetcha88

HSC
What are my chances in getting in ANU comm/law next year? I put it as my first preference. Here are the facts:
  1. I didn't get a fantastic UAI (91.20 to be exact)
  2. I applied for EAS and they received my application
  3. I wrote a letter to the Dean pleading for entry.
  4. I don't mind paying full-fee.
Any guesses? Hmmm, any useful comments will be fantastic. Btw, can I do two majors in the commerce degree? Thanks:)

Last edited:

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
i'm in the same boat as you.. except applying for Eco/LAW... i dunno my uai is gonan b between 90 and 91... i've applied for EAS and they have accptd it.. and am int he process of writing my entry letter... couldnt they look at our eco and legal marks also?? cuz i dunt think they need spanish or pdhpe for eco/law? lol htey can if they want cuz i did pretty well...

i'd like to hope we both have the opportunity to study a combined law degree there... but if there are two of us out here.. im sure there will be thousnads more that are gonna apply to ANU... so it'll increase teh UAI i reckon..im hoping it doesnt.. but im guessin it could....

i wish u good luck :) and myself aswell....

hopefully they accpt our applications

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
igottagetcha88 said:
What are my chances in getting in ANU comm/law next year? I put it as my first preference. Here are the facts:
Any guesses? Hmmm, any useful comments will be fantastic. Btw, can I do two majors in the commerce degree? Thanks:)
1) ANU lists a number of alternate mean of entry in the UAC guide (or at least they used to). These include high marks in English (where your UAI would otherwise not be good enough) and a written submission to the faculty. Over the past two years nobody got into law this way.

2) At ANU EAS will give you 5 bonus points. If you get EAS your effective UAI will be 96.20, so with EAS you at least have a chance.

3) If you do miss out, dont panic. It's not too hard to transfer into law. I'd imagine that with your UAI a high credit average in your first year would be good enough to get you a place.

eq2

HSC
I got 94.95, will they bend the cut-off?

igottagetcha88

HSC
Mr. Sabuncuoglu said:
i'm in the same boat as you.. except applying for Eco/LAW... i dunno my uai is gonan b between 90 and 91... i've applied for EAS and they have accptd it.. and am int he process of writing my entry letter... couldnt they look at our eco and legal marks also?? cuz i dunt think they need spanish or pdhpe for eco/law? lol htey can if they want cuz i did pretty well...

i'd like to hope we both have the opportunity to study a combined law degree there... but if there are two of us out here.. im sure there will be thousnads more that are gonna apply to ANU... so it'll increase teh UAI i reckon..im hoping it doesnt.. but im guessin it could....

i wish u good luck :) and myself aswell....

hopefully they accpt our applications
haha.. fingers crossed... what's ur exact uai?

igottagetcha88

HSC
neo o said:
1) ANU lists a number of alternate mean of entry in the UAC guide (or at least they used to). These include high marks in English (where your UAI would otherwise not be good enough) and a written submission to the faculty. Over the past two years nobody got into law this way.

2) At ANU EAS will give you 5 bonus points. If you get EAS your effective UAI will be 96.20, so with EAS you at least have a chance.

3) If you do miss out, dont panic. It's not too hard to transfer into law. I'd imagine that with your UAI a high credit average in your first year would be good enough to get you a place.
hmmm.. the EAS bonus points would help, but i would imagine lots of people who applied for EAS with higher UAI scores would apply! anyway i hope i'll get in.. what's a good mark in English? i didn't get a fantastic mark. i got a score of 38/50.

btw, is it just me or does ANU not have fee-paying options? thanks

mimiian

HSC
igottagetcha88 said:
hmmm.. the EAS bonus points would help, but i would imagine lots of people who applied for EAS with higher UAI scores would apply! anyway i hope i'll get in.. what's a good mark in English? i didn't get a fantastic mark. i got a score of 38/50.

btw, is it just me or does ANU not have fee-paying options? thanks
i don't think ANU has any fee-paying options for any course.

and EAS does help, i didn't met the UAI-off myself but with EAS i still got in. plus the cut-off may fall this year so you have a greater chance.

timmyh

HSC
ok, last year i tried to get into science(psych)/law... i got a UAI of 93.95 I got a ok mark in english, band 6 in legal studies and wrote a pretty good letter pleading my case to ANU. they didnt let me in. From what ive heard from my mates doing law at ANU is bloody tough and the workload is pretty heavy. Sorry to put a dampner on things but id be surprised if they let u in, good luck with it though! transfering after 1st year into law is also an option... im not sure what u need, a credit average which is pretty doable if u do a bit of study should be enough, but u might need a few distinctions just to make sure. I have a mate trying to transfer into arts/law for next year i think he got around the credit average mark but there was no indication they'd let him in....
good luck with getting in! also even if u dont get into law come to anu, its a damn awesome uni....

igottagetcha88

HSC
mimilan, i'm a bit sceptical about the UAI falling, considering last year it went up by 1.5 points. how far away were you from the actual cut off UAI?

mimiian

HSC
igottagetcha88 said:
mimilan, i'm a bit sceptical about the UAI falling, considering last year it went up by 1.5 points. how far away were you from the actual cut off UAI?
i have to agree that it is unlikely that the law cut-off will fall this year, but then again we never know. a lot of cut-off for other courses in anu are falling heaps, i think 75 is the new requirement for most subjects.

i was off the target by 3 points. but they still let me in cos of EAS. i know several in law who are also short of the cut-off by a few points.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
igottagetcha88 said:
Dude, as I said before: it's a flat 5 points. This applies to any degree barring Phb or the Hons courses.
From what ive heard from my mates doing law at ANU is bloody tough and the workload is pretty heavy
They lied to you! :)

igottagetcha88

HSC
timmyh said:
ok, last year i tried to get into science(psych)/law... i got a UAI of 93.95 I got a ok mark in english, band 6 in legal studies and wrote a pretty good letter pleading my case to ANU. they didnt let me in. From what ive heard from my mates doing law at ANU is bloody tough and the workload is pretty heavy. Sorry to put a dampner on things but id be surprised if they let u in, good luck with it though! transfering after 1st year into law is also an option... im not sure what u need, a credit average which is pretty doable if u do a bit of study should be enough, but u might need a few distinctions just to make sure. I have a mate trying to transfer into arts/law for next year i think he got around the credit average mark but there was no indication they'd let him in....
good luck with getting in! also even if u dont get into law come to anu, its a damn awesome uni....
damn.. that's bad.. i know it's a good uni, i should've done better.. anyhoo did u apply for EAS

mrzeidan1

Tigers '08
HSC
my friend got 96.35 and wanted to try for the hawkins scholarship at anu. It favours those who would like to enter the australian political field and apparently the uai doesnt matter. she got eas for being ill throughout the year and for changing schools more than 3 times in yrs 10,11,12. she also has references from politicians and is the youngest ever president of a young liberal branch. shes got a lot of other awards and stuff. could she still get the scholarship if she wrote a kick-ass letter (her specialty)?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
igottagetcha88 said:
Just wondering (because i've heard a lot about the persuasion tactics of others :p) did you write a letter to the Undergraduate Dean (i.e. of the uni) or the Dean of the faculty of law?

If there's two degrees i.e. comm/law which faculty do you write to?

mimiian

HSC
igottagetcha88 said:
i don't think you can do two majors in commerce. but if you overload, it may be different.

timmyh

HSC
bobness, u write to the faculty of law, not the dean of undergrad stuff im pretty sure.

and re the other thing about that crazily good person with references from pollies and all that.... good luck, if they're not let in i dont think ayone else has much hope.....

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
neo o said:
Dude, as I said before: it's a flat 5 points. This applies to any degree barring Phb or the Hons courses.

They lied to you! :)
yeah you just spend your days in front of a telly playing katamari damacy

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
khing said:
yeah you just spend your days in front of a telly playing katamari damacy
Everquest too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)