what are some environmental impacts of the lechanche/dry cell? (1 Viewer)

HilaryLush

HSC
if anyone can answer that question for me that would be great :)

loolee

HSC
Dry cell:

The minimal of Mn3+ would expose to the environment, it will corrode caused of oxidation. The corrosion would react to the soil and the ions would have a negative impact to the vegetations.

Also the Zn2+ would leak to the environment cause heavy metal pollution

Petinga

HSC
For one the effects of such Zinc and manganese ions being released into the environment has little harm due to minute concentrations compared to the size of the cell.
The only real effect to the environment is that it is non rechargeable and hence leads to an increase in land fill.

rickem

RÎçkõ
HSC
Yeh, what was said before was pretty much right. The Zinc and Manganese both oxidise and neither of the chemicals formed are harmful to the environment. But, as it was also said, the large size and unrechargable nature means that they increase the need for landfills.

tristambrown

HSC
KOH is not vry nice for environment either ...

sit a whole bunch of used batteries together in a landfill & you end up with a stream of caustic (OH- heavy) crap laced with heavy metals (Zn+Mn) flowing along into the tablewater every time it rains .

poor cave yabbies .. :/ heh

rickem

RÎçkõ
HSC
Well, thats if you use a KOH electrolyte, most dry cells use Ammonium Chloride Electrolytes, which isn't harmful. KOh is used more commonly in alkaline and button cells.

tristambrown

HSC
sorry yur right .. i always just assumed the two names were referring to the same thing - reading more i see they are two different cells :)

re anything i said above - it's all about the alkaline cell lol ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)