What are some handy study methods for physics? (1 Viewer)

timeflies

HSC
There are a variety of ways you can study and its pretty much about what suits you best. For me, I do all my subjects pretty much the same way. Read a textbook and understand the concepts and then use textbook/notes/resources to make my own set of notes. After completing a certain topic, I like to find heaps of questions on that topic may it be from past papers or textbooks and do them to consolidate knowledge. Also in my opinion, it is important that when you make your own notes to have them dot-pointed and concise, making them easy to read and memorise so you are comfortable with them come exam time. :)

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Could do a mind map for each small part of the physic section

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I did physics for prelim and did decently, so here's some study tips from year 11:

- make THOROUGH and CONCISE syllabus dot point notes!! DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE EXPERIMENTS AND PRACS! These were a lifesaver!!
- Work on these notes consistently throughout the year. I had all of my done by prelim exams and all I needed to do was go through each dot point and make sure it was substantial before studying. It saved so much time!!
- make sure you fully understand each physical concept inside out!! test yourself by doing past papers (especially independent ones because they are ridic hard)
- do lots of calculation practice
- learn what the marker is looking for (i.e. exam technique practice)
- know source analysis (even if it kills you)

Good luck!! :)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
What are some handy study methods for physics?
The most important part for studying for Physics would be making sure you understand the concepts, if you're able to grasp those then the rest is essentially you regurgitating facts and content in your own words when you write out your own notes. Writing out things word for word or copying out of a book won't help you learn but when you're writing it out in your own words it'll cause you to think and hopefully learn at the same time.

Obviously consistently reading over those notes as well to stay on top of things.

j12onuzim

HSC
I did physics for prelim and did decently, so here's some study tips from year 11:

- make THOROUGH and CONCISE syllabus dot point notes!! DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE EXPERIMENTS AND PRACS! These were a lifesaver!!
- Work on these notes consistently throughout the year. I had all of my done by prelim exams and all I needed to do was go through each dot point and make sure it was substantial before studying. It saved so much time!!
- make sure you fully understand each physical concept inside out!! test yourself by doing past papers (especially independent ones because they are ridic hard)
- do lots of calculation practice
- learn what the marker is looking for (i.e. exam technique practice)
- know source analysis (even if it kills you)

Good luck!! :)
Can I ask what you mean "work on these notes?" Since I am assuming you type them if this is so but what if we write them?
Also, I was wondering if most people have a tutor? Since I definitely can't get a tutor but Minot all that great.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Notes doesn't matter if typed or written-as long as they help you to increase your understanding of the modules and topic, I personally didn't have a tutor for physics for the HSC-because I observed that many people who did have a tutor-basically end up not listening in class because they feel like as they've learnt the content in tutoring, they don't need to re-learn stuff again which has proven, in many cases, a detrimental mindset that had a dire effect on their rank. My key tips for physics
1)find your passion-whether it is a particular area of physics, for me, it was astronomy, or whether it is the way your physics teacher teaches, or whether any part of physics relate to your future university degree-i.e. science-because if you are able to genuinely love the subject, you will work harder than others and you will reap the rewards:)
2)start looking and doing HSC physics question in the same topic you are studying at school UNDER EXAM CONDITIONS-I can't stress the capitalised letters enough, because if you don't manage your time-you will get a shock in the actual exam where you realise you have so less time left to answer the same questions-check your answers, or better, ask your teacher to mark your answers-repeat this process and you can't go wrong
3)always read as many HSC physics textbooks as you can-i.e. at least 3, because each textbook will have extra information that will enhance your understanding that another don't-and don't neglect to understand all the diagrams-you need to put more diagrams in your notes-notice in past HSC papers, there is almost always one question that requires you to draw a diagram of some sort-and learn to label your diagrams clearly of course
4)I know that at the start of physics-not many people like to help classmates with the mindset that I want to preserve my own ranking, but as I reflect upon my HSC year, I realise that teaching other students/struggling or otherwise physics when you have spare time is the best way you can enhance your understanding-because the person who teaches actually remember much more than the person who is taught, and likewise-try to find some people with similar abilities in your class to do regular group studies-this is so helpful because the questions these people ask will enhance your own understanding if you manage to find the answers-because they are also usually questions you also don't know
5)Ask the teacher, do as many trial papers as you can, ask questions on bored of studies if you don't understand-don't be afraid to ask or make mistakes-because it is only by making mistakes that you do learn
6)enjoy the journey-it is tough, but it is rewarding-in physics, understanding and applying the knowledge is much more important than just pure rote learning-and try to make connections across modules so everything is integrated-i.e. the Michelson Morley experiment from space and Quantum theory-proving light has a due particle-wave quality in ideas and implementation are all contributions by Einstein related to a reconceptualization of the light model...hope this helps-anymore questions-welcome to pm me:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)