• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What are some useful things to know before starting law? (2 Viewers)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
hmm im fair bored and i just got a copy of "Laying Down the Law." I know that there is no assumed knowledge for law but i was just wondering what would be beneficial to learn before uni. I must admit, most of the first 30 pgs of this book are boring as hell. Do we really need to know legal history, ie about the implementation of the common law system beginning with William of Normady in 1066 AD???

Could some one please explain to me in layman terms the difference between a common and a civil law system- so far im gathering that the common law system extends beyond custom law and is 'common' to all citizens and also heavily relies on precedent/case law. Is this correct?

T

thegovernator

Wait till uni starts is probably the best advice. I don't know how much of an emphasis your course / introductory subject/s will have on legal history. If you can get a copy of the unit outline or email a subject lecturer or coordinator in advance they might be able to give you some more guidance. Or if you can find someone who's done 1st year at your uni first and has some advice or notes to give you.

I know at UTS there was a fairly large emphasis on legal history. so we had to learn a lot of that stuff :(

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Yeah, I'd be keen to know if there's something I can start on, too. I borrowed a HSC Legal Studies Excell book off my mate but it's boring as shit to go through.

T

thegovernator

Depend on your course. If there is an emphasis on history (which there may be in some foundations subjects) well then you might need to know about William the Conqueror and his influence on the development of the common law. this is why I say it's important to find out;

(1) what subjects you are studying
(2) the outline of the content of those subjects &
(3) even look at some past papers if any are available in the library or online etc to get an idea of what type of stuff is examinable.

but yeah... tbh, holiday reading won't disadvantage you :D. it will probably lessen any pressure you may face in the semester itself.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
With the subject in question, you're probably better off waiting until session starts. Or, as thegovernator suggested, contacting the subject coordinator first so that you know what you're reading 'towards'.

Other than that, I think that the following are good things to know:

1. You know how in high school, essays routinely came back with marks >80% - ie. 18/20, etc? This will not happen to you in law school. Sometimes, a mark of 65 is excellent. That said, you will have a few easy courses/assignments spread throughout your degree.

2. You don't know shit. Did you do well in legal studies? You still don't. A law degree is a course of study intended to give you the skills you will need day-to-day as a legal professional. High school was day care. Don't go into the course thinking that you know more than the lecturer, or I promise that your over-confidence will crush you.

3. The UAI, and HSC marks generally, no longer mean anything to you. Don't ask what others got, and better yet, don't care. Otherwise you may find that the kid who got 87 is getting Cs and Ds, whereas your >95 arse is barely pulling Ps, making you realise just how worthless you are.

4. When you get to them, the following subjects will suck for you: Property law. It's compulsory, so suck it up and get over it. Do not, by any means, consider dropping out because of this bitch of a subject. You think I'm joking? I know of 4 people across 2 unis who did exactly this. It will try to destroy what makes you happy. Do not let it win. It is my hope that, with a bit of a heads up, you'll be expecting the pain and will somehow be able to see the dim light that shines at the end of the tunnel against a tapestry of suffocating, unending black.

5. Going to class is a good thing. Oh wow, you're no longer in high school and classes are *gasp* optional! True, but unlike high school, you're now shelling out money for these classes, and contrary to rumour, attending them actually helps you pass the course. Sure, skip a few here and there, but don't be one of those people who attends 2 out of 15 lectures and is left wondering during the exam what an easement is.

6. No one actually cares about student politics, so shut your mouth. I think this is a good thing to know generally, regardless of your course.

I hope this helps you as you embark on the wonderful, magical journey of rainbows, unicorns, and soul crushing defeat that your studies in law will take you on.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
jackmurray1989 said:
Yeah, I'd be keen to know if there's something I can start on, too. I borrowed a HSC Legal Studies Excell book off my mate but it's boring as shit to go through.
I done a law subject last year and i can tell ya that u learn year 12 legal studies stuff in one lecture and they dont bother going through it in detail. So there is not much point of studying year 12 law.
Just enjoy your holidays for now, when uni starts u will miss the break.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
With the subject in question, you're probably better off waiting until session starts. Or, as thegovernator suggested, contacting the subject coordinator first so that you know what you're reading 'towards'.

1. You know how in high school, essays routinely came back with marks >80% - ie. 18/20, etc? This will not happen to you in law school. Sometimes, a mark of 65 is excellent. That said, you will have a few easy courses/assignments spread throughout your degree.

2. You don't know shit. Did you do well in legal studies? You still don't. A law degree is a course of study intended to give you the skills you will need day-to-day as a legal professional. High school was day care. Don't go into the course thinking that you know more than the lecturer, or I promise that your over-confidence will crush you.

3. The UAI, and HSC marks generally, no longer mean anything to you. Don't ask what others got, and better yet, don't care. Otherwise you may find that the kid who got 87 is getting Cs and Ds, whereas your >95 arse is barely pulling Ps, making you realise just how worthless you are.

4. When you get to them, the following subjects will suck for you: Property law. It's compulsory, so suck it up and get over it. Do not, by any means, consider dropping out because of this bitch of a subject. You think I'm joking? I know of 4 people across 2 unis who did exactly this. It will try to destroy what makes you happy. Do not let it win. It is my hope that, with a bit of a heads up, you'll be expecting the pain and will somehow be able to see the dim light that shines at the end of the tunnel against a tapestry of suffocating, unending black.

5. Going to class is a good thing. Oh wow, you're no longer in high school and classes are *gasp* optional! True, but unlike high school, you're now shelling out money for these classes, and contrary to rumour, attending them actually helps you pass the course. Sure, skip a few here and there, but don't be one of those people who attends 2 out of 15 lectures and is left wondering during the exam what an easement is.

6. No one actually cares about student politics, so shut your mouth. I think this is a good thing to know generally, regardless of your course.

I hope this helps you as you embark on the wonderful, magical journey of rainbows, unicorns, and soul crushing defeat that your studies in law will take you on.
Lol, good post, if a little depressing.

I done a law subject last year and i can tell ya that u learn year 12 legal studies stuff in one lecture and they dont bother going through it in detail. So there is not much point of studying year 12 law.
Just enjoy your holidays for now, when uni starts u will miss the break.
Sweet. I'm doing it at UOW as well. I won't bother with the legal studies book then.

hannahxxx

HSC
hfis said:

I love it when people say it the way it is.....
edit: I'm reminded of Dr Cox off scrubs lol

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hfis said:

agreed with all the above.

oh, and in regards to subjects that will give you hell, might i add 'evidence law'.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
hfis said:

Thanks for the tips, i appreciate the no bullshit honesty, in fact its good to hear it from a UOW student as i will be doing it there as well. Hmm only problem is, the tone of ur post doesnt reali paint an enjoyable picture of law school at all. In fact, ur kinda making it look like it sucks arse- is it interesting/fun at all????

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i cannot promise enjoyment, but let me say law degree is one of the most challenging and interesting things i have ever done in my 22 years of life.

there will be times where you will be close to tears, wondering how-the-fuck are you going to finish this major essay in four hours. at other times, you will be elated because you finally earned a coveted high distinction in a particular law subject.

your mind will be pushed, prodded, sent to insanity and back with the amount and depth of reading.

if such mental S&M gives you pleasure, then i assure you it will be enjoyable.

beentherdunthat

HSC
At some points i regret puttin law as my top preferences......

but i think i'll like it

i'm just scared of the unknown probably

i hope the classes aren't boring? are they?

T

thegovernator

it's not really like high school where you can muck around in class lol :(
you probably won't know anyone either, so you will have to try and make a few new friends around the place to make it more interesting. otherwise it will be very boring and lonely.

Demandred

HSC
hfis said:
Property law isn't that hard :O most people get by using Butt.

T

thegovernator

that book seems like a bit of a bastard. i picked it up the other day

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
This is totally true.
I once heard a wise man say that the reason student politics is such a dog-fight is because the stakes are so incredibly low.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Butt's good, just so... long (or 'in depth' as lecturers like to flag it). The 65 - C I earned for that subject was the most satisfying credit I have on my transcript.

In other news, my life ambition is to locate Blackacre and then burn it to the ground. Every squatter seeking adverse posession, every easement, covenant, mortgage and lease held over it, every certificate of title and deed, and any instrument granting a future interest will all go up in smoke. And then I'll salt the earth for good measure.

Cookie182 said:
Hmm only problem is, the tone of ur post doesnt reali paint an enjoyable picture of law school at all. In fact, ur kinda making it look like it sucks arse- is it interesting/fun at all????
Think of it as baking a cake. The process of buying ingredients, mixing, baking, etc, is boring as hell and not very satisfying. But after it's all done, you can sit back and go 'ahh, I made a nice cake' and be content. Law school, although much less tasty, is similar in that the process itself sucks balls, whereas the end result is often rewarding. Nothing beats handing in a half-arsed essay 5min before it's due and fluking a D.

K

katie_tully

Hmm only problem is, the tone of ur post doesnt reali paint an enjoyable picture of law school at all. In fact, ur kinda making it look like it sucks arse- is it interesting/fun at all????
This is why you need to evaluate why you're doing law in the first place. Ask yourself what you want to be and what you want to achieve.
My degree (not law) is long and tedious mostly, but if you have a clear picture of where you want to be in 10 years it'll make the suffering worth it.

If you're only doing law coz you want quick $$$ or the prestige, well unless you're a sociopath you probably wont do that well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)