• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What are some useful things to know before starting law? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
This is why you need to evaluate why you're doing law in the first place. Ask yourself what you want to be and what you want to achieve.
My degree (not law) is long and tedious mostly, but if you have a clear picture of where you want to be in 10 years it'll make the suffering worth it.

If you're only doing law coz you want quick $$$ or the prestige, well unless you're a sociopath you probably wont do that well.
Nah the $$$/prestige are of course a bonus, but seriously the prestige is getting lost these days anyway as is the $$$ compared to other grads like engineers. For me, im doing law because i think that my skill sets suits it as a subject and im generally interested in learning about the rules that govern all aspects of society. I know i probably will never become a millionare, but a law degree will at least give me the flexibility of being able to choose between a broad range of jobs, not specifically confined to practising either. As im currently most interested in a business career (im doing commerce/law) i think it will suplement nicely and of course increase my employability. I also enjoy reading/analytical work rather then 'hands on' projects which is what leaned me away from choosing engineering.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
i hope the classes aren't boring? are they?
Some are, some aren't. I've found that the ones that deal directly with (kind of) interesting cases, like all the horrible accidents in torts, are way more fun than the drier stuff, like our Dispute Resolution classes on civil procedure. Even then, though, my lecturers have been decent enough to make it at least mildly interesting and friends will help you stay awake.

Almost undoubtedly, however, you will hate all subjects as assignment deadlines loom. Mental S&M is right, I've done all-nighter after all-nighter and been left crying onto my books, convinced I'm never going to finish the damned thing no matter how much I torture myself.

I'm just waiting for my interest in law to dive once we start contracts this year... and you've all made me frightened of property law.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)