What are the laws regarding forcing students to drop to general subjects? (1 Viewer)

Integrity_x

HSC
Hey there,

I just wanted some advice regarding dropping students doing Advanced subjects to general and standard ones.
I am currently doing 2U mathematics and the head teacher is threatening me that if I don't achieve higher than her expectations, she'd drop me to general mathematics, which I REALLY DO NOT want to do. I believe I am perfectly capable of doing 2U Mathematics. So, my questions is, to everyone out there:

Is it even legal to force a student to drop an advanced subject and do take on general or standard subjects which they COMPLETELY DO NOT WANT TO DO? I mean, don't students even have a say in this decision? Isn't it their future?

Please note, I come from a private school that isn't selective or anything..

HSC
I don't think they can actually force you to drop... all they can do is 'make a suggestion'. I come from a private school too and my teacher said they can't force you but they can certainly convince you to.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If it's a private school, I'm quite sure they CAN do that. They CANNOT do that in a public school.

enoilgam

HSC
I am not sure if there is any recourse you can take for this issue - but I would definitely fight it.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I know this may not be what you want to hear, but I think the teachers input is usually very valid. Unless they are a total arseface in which case stick to 2 unit if you have your heart set on it at the end of the day its your life, your choice you know. As for the teachers input I was willing to drop extension 1 before our 1st year 11 exam and I performed extemely poorly 21/23 in the class. I was pleading with the teacher to let me drop but he said don't to be too early to judge. Fast forward to the yearlys I improved heaps with a positive attitude and more maths study and came 2nd for the yearly exam. So what I would say is 1- A positve attitude can get you so far in your studies but also your teachers oppinon is typically vaild. But none the less best of luck to you in your future mathematical studies :)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
What are your marks like?

Maybe look into getting a private tutor, if your family can afford it.

HSC
Around 30-40 people were dropped from advanced english to standard in my year (I was one of them). 18 of us didn't want to drop but the english head teacher was absoultely convinced on us dropping because of our low marks :L He pretty much made us think we had no choice because he said he was allowed to make us drop (lie). However around 10 of us marched to the year advisors office and said the board of studies says we can't drop. The next day there was a 4th advanced class made for 18 of us :p WE BEAT THE SYSTEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just complain to the board of studies/year advisor...

enak101

HSC
I'm in a similar position, I bombed on the prelim exam for 2U and we still have chapters to do from prelim such as some of trig, linear functions, calculus. He is recommending the whole class drop to general but I know I can do 2U, he is saying 'we' have to make a decision by next friday coming up and he may test us again to see if we are good for it. I want to do 2U math for science at uni, at least, I think I want to do that.

I got like 12-16/70 for the exam lol, I think 1 or 2 people got 16-18. It was a damn hard exam imo but maybe we just all suck lol. Hmm, what to do.

Integrity_x

HSC
If it's a private school, I'm quite sure they CAN do that. They CANNOT do that in a public school.
Are you sure about this? And do you have any evidence about being allowed to do this in a private school only? If you do, I'd really appreciate that - because frankly I looked everywhere on the board of studies, but didn't find anything. :(

Thank you.

Integrity_x

HSC
I know this may not be what you want to hear, but I think the teachers input is usually very valid. Unless they are a total arseface in which case stick to 2 unit if you have your heart set on it at the end of the day its your life, your choice you know. As for the teachers input I was willing to drop extension 1 before our 1st year 11 exam and I performed extemely poorly 21/23 in the class. I was pleading with the teacher to let me drop but he said don't to be too early to judge. Fast forward to the yearlys I improved heaps with a positive attitude and more maths study and came 2nd for the yearly exam. So what I would say is 1- A positve attitude can get you so far in your studies but also your teachers oppinon is typically vaild. But none the less best of luck to you in your future mathematical studies :)
My math teacher is possibly the most cynical and sarcastic teacher ever! No exaggeration there. She literally calls people stupid and spends half of the class time insulting people rather than actually doing the work. But she also is a VERY good math teacher.

And thank you, good luck to you too. Your advice helped a lot. :)

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Private school, they can do what they want.

For example many catholic schools make students take SOR for the HSC.

There IS a choice. If you don't like it you can move schools.

Currybear

HSC
If your paying thousands of dollars for you kid to go to a private school, they should be able to do whatever courses they want. I know this cause i got to a private school and my friend used to the exact same argument to make a latin class with 2 people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)