what are we doing for this module (1 Viewer)

yenleesun

HSC
hi i was just wondering, for this module are we supposed to compare the similarities between the values or only focus on the differences? because in the rubric it says how “change in context leads to changed values being reflected in texts.

and if it is the latter option, does anyone know how the values have changes in Frankenstein and Bladerunner?

thanks

Niek

HSC
Our teacher told us to also do similarities, to show that things may not have changed despite a change in context etc. So you talk more about the extent to which things have changed rather than just what has changed :)

But I'm not doing Bladerunner/Frankenstein, sorry! Good luck

danal353

HSC
it's pretty much about text and context so you would talk about the differences and the similarities.

in terms of the change in values between frankenstein and blade runner, you would talk about a change in values due to a change in context
e.g. In bladerunner, there is an obvious shift from religious values, to those more relevant to the 20th century - the importance of economics - life itself has been commodified. Also, whereas in frankenstein, there is a clear warning against ambition and knowledge, in bladerunner, this has become warning against ignorance, to the fact that forms of life are important.

But I think the best way to go about this is to show that both texts reflect the same universal values but through different means and in response to two different world conditions.

Remember, just because a text portrays certain values doesn't necessarily mean it endorses them. So you can talk about the different sets of values portrayed in the two texts, contemporary to their time, but yet essentially they both endorse a similar set.

HSC
2011?... aren't you only in year 10? how come your doing this module already? are you accelerated or something? i didn't know we could accelerate for English :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Technically you can accelerate in any subject you want. Although, admittedly, I don't hear too many people accelerating in English.

yenleesun

HSC
2011?... aren't you only in year 10? how come your doing this module already? are you accelerated or something? i didn't know we could accelerate for English :)
no, i'm actually in year 12, but my account got suspended a few days ago (THANKS A LOT MODERATORS!!!:burn:) Im actually using my brothers account, and he's in year 10.

supernerdattack

HSC
lol. im accelerated in english and maths. trials next week (not keen).
Mod A was my favourite though - we did W;t and Donne's poetry, which NO ONE else seems to be doing. since they're new to the hsc there are very few practice questions to do too.
i think we should be looking at similarities & differences, connections and their nature. Consider why the texts are paired, how the texts enhance understanding of values and contexts of each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)