What are you learning in SDD?? (1 Viewer)

xsjado

HSC
Just curious. Because all we're doing is copying codes....

Ackriff

HSC
We're doing pretty much just codes as well. Some in windows some in console app's.

Mostly play UT2004 though. :p

xsjado

HSC
we dont even learn coding though, we just copy down a code and put it in vb. So pretty much just copy+pasting.

Kirjava

HSC
Taking sample php applications and modifying/debugging them according to the given criterion.

It isn't easy, the teacher is there to help- but the course is fast paced, and you have to be prepared to teach yourself a lot of the work [in our class anyway].

It's stimulating, but rough- especially for those of us who havn't done any coding whatsoever prior to the course.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
We'er basicallyteaching ourselves. But other than that, tetris the whole day, or lemmings.

fiSHtITS

Cynical Member
HSC
We're doing just databases in Access right now and adding queries and what not.

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
fiSHtITS said:
That's what we're doing in IPT.
I don't do SDD since my school doesn't offer it, but IPT is pretty much self-taught as well ;s

DJel

HSC
Right now we are just doing our term one assessment (we're doing it now because some people switced over and the teacher thought we should do it after half yearlies). Before that just creating databases, messing around with reports, queries etc + some VB tuts from a booklet (copy and paste work).

fiSHtITS

Cynical Member
HSC
DJel said:
Right now we are just doing our term one assessment (we're doing it now because some people switced over and the teacher thought we should do it after half yearlies). Before that just creating databases, messing around with reports, queries etc + some VB tuts from a booklet (copy and paste work).
I hope we start learning languages that actual software companies use eventually. Where's our C++ help?

DJel

HSC
fiSHtITS said:
I hope we start learning languages that actual software companies use eventually. Where's our C++ help?
I think we are getting held back by those kids who don't do any work. But the lyllenator seems to know what he's doing.

HSC
fiSHtITS said:
ROFL Access.

Filemaker > Access.

We spent prelim playing Counterstrike, writing the odd algorithm and learning and forgetting the syllabus topics. Good times.

Seriously guys - SDD is such an independent subject.

HSC
DJel said:
Hey Shotgun Wedding,

just out of interest, what did most people do for the large project that is given in yr 12?
Well our class got given the choice between creating a system that runs an infrastructure to store Athletics or Swimming Carnival results based upon Houses etc or to do something of our own.

For example, I think I am doing a text based cricket game. I've seen a few people do games of their own - a friend of mine is making a to-do-list/calendar application.

Have a look in the resources section and the SDD forum for ideas and previous major works.

And good luck.

DJel

HSC
Can the 'your choice' example be on anything, using any language etc? Or does it has to be restricted to what the class has learnt, e.g C++ etc?

Good luck to you to.

HSC
DJel said:
Can the 'your choice' example be on anything, using any language etc? Or does it has to be restricted to what the class has learnt, e.g C++ etc?

Good luck to you to.
Thanks.

Nope. It can be in any language. We've got a couple of VBers, I was contemplating Python, but that is too time consuming, so I'm going to stick with FileMaker. Pretty much it is best to stick with somethign that your teacher knows, unless you are some sort of programming whizkid yourself.

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
We mostly do assessments. So far we've done a Guessing Game and we just did an Alarm Clock which you could extend to a stopwatch with split time. We do this in VB .net but we started the basics at the very start of the year in QB. Not sure what we're doing next because we have some uni prac teacher teaching us boring stuff like the history of programming language. I just wanna play BZ Flag haha.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Shotgun Wedding said:
Thanks.

Nope. It can be in any language. We've got a couple of VBers, I was contemplating Python, but that is too time consuming, so I'm going to stick with FileMaker. Pretty much it is best to stick with somethign that your teacher knows, unless you are some sort of programming whizkid yourself.
In my class 2 people used VB (including me), one used Java (I think), one used Python and one used DarkBasic (I think that's what it was, anyway). I stuck with VB cause I cbf learning another language and needed the easy graphics stuff for my program.

And we've now finished the course, woo! Revision from now on.

gods-lil-rocker

HSC
We're learning data structres/types... different software development approaches... (RAD, structured.. prototyping... end user...) at the beginning of the coarse we did social and ethical issuess.... we've done pseudocode and flowcharts, programing languages, steps in problems solving.. now we're doing looping....

All the theory we do we have a VB programs that lets us put the theory into practical... I have the best teacher!!!!!!

do you get many girls in your class????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)