What are you using for section I? (1 Viewer)

spazamataz

HSC
Okay, i'm a little bit scared of this question because i don't think I have sufficient knowledge of enough historians/debates/schools of thought. I was just wondering how many others were using, and what these were.
The ones i am using are:
-The history wars: Windschuttle vs. Reynolds
-Herodotus
-Thucydides
-The Annales
-Post-modernism: Hayden White
-Bede
-Gibbon
-Empiricism
And i do have notes on marxism, but i am not planning on doing much with it. Should I have more or more of a specific sort (if that makes sense?) Its really quite easily to draw up some notes and stuff, so i figure there is time before the exam on Friday.

jessica.anne

HSC
N/A
I think you've got enough really. If you're worried, it won't hurt to add in a few more to ease your mind. Mine are quite similar. Obviously won't be using them all, but I like to be prepared!

- Herodotus
- Thucydides
- Bede
- Leopold von Ranke
- Karl Marx
- Peter Geyl
- Keith Jenkins
- Inga Clendinnen
- EH Carr
- GR Elton
- Hayden White
- Richard Evans

Also will discuss postmodernism and the Reynolds/Windschuttle debate if it fits the q :)

thefergmister

HSC
You've got heaps prob more important the detail and evaluation you give of each of their "histories" then number.
Try some of these historians as well a little left field but they might give you a little boost you can find a very general overview in Fifty Key thinkers:
-Arnold J Toynbee
-Ssu-ma Ch'ien
-Benedetto Croce
-Ibn Khaldun
-Giambattisa Vico
Wihlem Dithley

spazamataz

HSC
You've got heaps prob more important the detail and evaluation you give of each of their "histories" then number.
Try some of these historians as well a little left field but they might give you a little boost you can find a very general overview in Fifty Key thinkers:
-Arnold J Toynbee
-Ssu-ma Ch'ien
-Benedetto Croce
-Ibn Khaldun
-Giambattisa Vico
Wihlem Dithley
You sound a lot like a kid in my class. In fact, you are that kid in my class!!!! Muahahahahaha

ericajane91

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, i'm a little bit scared of this question because i don't think I have sufficient knowledge of enough historians/debates/schools of thought. I was just wondering how many others were using, and what these were.
Yours sounds good to me, I just have notes on:
- Herodotus
- Thucydides
- Polybius
- Bede
- Gibbon
- von Ranke
- Bloch and Febvre
- Jones
- Carr
- Windschuttle v. Reynolds:chainsaw:

I doubt I will use all of them in the exam though. It's comforting to know people in here have roughly the same as I do lol.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
- herodotus + thucydides (brief)
- von ranke
- fukuyama
- foucault + marx
- said
- savage
- clendinnen
- scott
- kingsford + lake
- windschuttle
- white
- carr
- jenkins

as others have said will probably only use 1/2 of these or so in the exam.

illa mc

HSC
anyone not using barbara tuchman is letting themselves down. she is the greatest for providing a 'balanced' view in arguments like science vs art or relativism vs complete objectivity and have perfect quotes for clincher statements and conclusions. she is by far the most useful historian for question one and her views apply to almost any question you could possibly be asked.. oh and richard evans is not from the annales schools whoever said that, apparently he was inspired by them but dont make the mistake of associating him with them.

sirpoopalot7

HSC
Does anyone know the usual raw mark required for a band 6?

Lol, also a band 5 as that's what I'm probably going to get.

Thecorey0

HSC
Does anyone know the usual raw mark required for a band 6?

Lol, also a band 5 as that's what I'm probably going to get.
From what I have heard and read, it basically does not align at all. If you check in the technical forum, in 2003 a raw mark of 42 aligned to 43. It is quite ridiculous for an extension subject personally. So the raw mark needed for an E4 is most probably a 43-44.

sirpoopalot7

HSC
That's so stupid. History Extension is a lot more work than Ext 1 English. It should at least align as well as that.

williamcarr1991

HSC
I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a band 6... highest is Band '4E'
apparently you'd have to get ~45/50 to get in band 4E .... so good luck with that

sirpoopalot7

HSC
Just quickly, who was the guy who said that it was just at important to study the historian as well the history?

jmods

HSC
^Hey will.

How many historians is considered enough, and how many is too many? My teacher seems adamant that it's best to use, say, four in section one (and about the same in section two), but the exemplar answers from 2002 have quite a few more.

I'm still conflicted - a few in depth or many in (obviously) less depth?

By the way, is the 2002 standards package at 2009 standards? we only have four people in our class and we had lessens less than once a week, so I'm unsure -_-

spazamataz

HSC
I've heard that they are pretty easy with the marking, so that probably why the band cut-offs are like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)