What are your tutorials like? (1 Viewer)

Ethicks

HSC
Today had to be one of the worst tutorials I've ever had in 3 semesters of uni, It's not the fact that I didn't know anyone it's just how the tutorial was managed and how many people were allowed to enroll in the class. There wasn't even enough desk space for all the people squashed in this room so they had to 'grab a chair from the back'. To soften the blow the helpful tutor decided we would divide ourselves into groups of 4 each week and work through the questions then if we have time we will go through them at the end.

Another thing was the tutor was kind of 'unhelpful' I got the impression the approach was due to this class being so big I'm going to throw you all into groups and just hope you peer learn from each other.

The group I was in felt completely awkward this didn't help.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
My first web systems tutorial was cancelled due to a strike
During my second web systems tutorial the universities servers crashed and we couldn't do any work

so from what i have experienced so far my tutorials have been great

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
My bio tutorial is extremely cramped. The room is too tiny to house 30+ people. Other than that, the tutor is great (can be a bit rushed sometimes, but that applies to most of my teachers, and uni teachers in general).

dirty_ink

HSC
Today had to be one of the worst tutorials I've ever had in 3 semesters of uni, It's not the fact that I didn't know anyone it's just how the tutorial was managed and how many people were allowed to enroll in the class. There wasn't even enough desk space for all the people squashed in this room so they had to 'grab a chair from the back'. To soften the blow the helpful tutor decided we would divide ourselves into groups of 4 each week and work through the questions then if we have time we will go through them at the end.

Another thing was the tutor was kind of 'unhelpful' I got the impression the approach was due to this class being so big I'm going to throw you all into groups and just hope you peer learn from each other.

The group I was in felt completely awkward this didn't help.
I don't see the point of having large tute classes. That sucks; I hope your situation gets better.

My tutes are pretty chill tbh and certainly not as large as you make yours out to be. The people are approachable to say the least.

Ethicks

HSC
My first web systems tutorial was cancelled due to a strike
During my second web systems tutorial the universities servers crashed and we couldn't do any work

so from what i have experienced so far my tutorials have been great
Yeah so ironic, not bad for the University of 'Technology' so advanced their systems don't even allow us to have concession Opal cards... yet here is USYD students soaking up all the benefits. I'm assuming 'getting the systems ready' is the walk about sentence to what really is going on.

This week the same class was large (again) and I'm more than happy to work alone and ask the tutor questions as I need which is what I did, I don't get working in groups in tutorials it doesn't work with for me so I don't plan to conform any time soon. It's just a hard grind ahead as I know a lot of people will drop out in years to come and second and third years will be way better with smaller classes... just hard to see the light at this stage.

Constantine

HSC
I think tutorial classes should incorporate a system where students should be grouped according to their abilities in each subject. The biggest problem I have with my tutorials is that there would always be one or two people who are seemingly ahead of everyone. This is fine but if you sit anywhere close to them, every time someone asks a question or the tutor goes through something again, you hear them sigh and make a big fuss about it in the corner.

On the other hand, there also the ones who don't do any work and can't follow at all so we spend ten minutes going through something that majority of the class gets and then people get bored and the whole class' energy just dies off from there. This was really evident in my first year Economic tutorials. You don't need Year 11/12 economic experience to do well in the subject, but you did think those without any economics background at all would actually attempt to read the textbook and prepare themselves beforehand with the basic theories.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think tutorial classes should incorporate a system where students should be grouped according to their abilities in each subject. The biggest problem I have with my tutorials is that there would always be one or two people who are seemingly ahead of everyone. This is fine but if you sit anywhere close to them, every time someone asks a question or the tutor goes through something again, you hear them sigh and make a big fuss about it in the corner.

On the other hand, there also the ones who don't do any work and can't follow at all so we spend ten minutes going through something that majority of the class gets and then people get bored and the whole class' energy just dies off from there. This was really evident in my first year Economic tutorials. You don't need Year 11/12 economic experience to do well in the subject, but you did think those without any economics background at all would actually attempt to read the textbook and prepare themselves beforehand with the basic theories.
Interesting thoughts but I think such is life and it forces you to learn in a different way on that environment. That being said your tutor might just be overly nice since everyone is new.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)