what area of maths is your favorite (1 Viewer)

what is your favorite area of maths?

• pure

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • applied

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • statistics

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters

maths > english

Rejected Member
HSC
what is your favorite area of maths out of the following:

• pure
  • applied
  • statistics

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Pure. I'd rather do a B Comm than major in statistics.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Pure, but some areas of applied appeal to me. I havn't really been exposed to enough to make a decent decision though.

maths > english

Rejected Member
HSC
i think alot of people would agree that statistics is the most boring type of maths

pure is probably the most popular

lfc_reds2003

hmmm... i rekon ppl choose to do pure purely (LOL) because it sounds the nerdiest on their resume hehe

statistics is like.. who cares m8 .. hut if ur a proper mathematician theres some respect there

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Preferred thesis topics, in order of preference (could change though):

Computational Algebra
Algebra
Topology
Analysis

So I guess it's a bit towards pure, although I was put on the applied side for soccer on Wednesday.

HayleeKate

HSC
Statistics.. is that even real maths?
Applied is alright. At least actually serving some purpose.
All real mathematicians should say pure shouldnt they? Otherwise theyre just scientists who use maths, or people who like to suggest themselves to be mathematicians because it sounds far better than saying they make up statistics.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Computational, which id probably major in, but since its not an option, and i dont really like applied, id have to go pure.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:
What's wrong with statistics? A lot of the higher end statistics is as good as the pure and applied stuff. I don't really have a preference anymore.
I think much of the hate for statistics is that we dont confront it early enough in schooling in NSW. If we were in a state such as SA, where their stats is comparable to our early uni stats, we might be saying something different. However I dont mind statistics, its more applied maths that I dont like.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Slide Rule said:
What's wrong with statistics? A lot of the higher end statistics is as good as the pure and applied stuff. I don't really have a preference anymore.

Only because of all the girls. :p
Nope, because if I'm going to go through hell I might as well have a substantial salary waiting for me at the end of it.

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Templar said:
although I was put on the applied side for soccer on Wednesday.
I was put on the nanotechnology side ~ serves the material science engineers right because we slaughtered them. (EDIT: In a completely unrelated game)

Personnally I wouldn't want to exclusively spend my life manipulating numbers in obscure numbers of dimensions and then prove something that impresses the mathematics community yet have little or no impact on society. Oh well, that is my narrow minded opinion. Statistics are useful I have come to understand ~ even to a materials chemist!

PS It is favourite :(

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i no longer like anyone who voted in this poll :)

wat would compell you to make this thread

justchillin

HSC
ease up he's just interested in wat people think. pure for me i hate statistics...and applied is sometimes so tedious...

daemonic666

whats the point of this?
HSC
santaslayer said:
Where does simple one digit addition come into the picture?
damn straight. im getting sick of all this normal conics and polynomials, and here we are, end of term 2 and we havent started applications. i agree with m_isk on the football though :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)