What ATAR can I realistically get? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello Boredofstudies,

I just got my school report back and am looking to get an ATAR of about 75. I want to go to ACU next year and study secondary teaching. My school is ranked around 65-70 in the 2021 HSC.

Here are my ranks and percentages for each subject.
English Standard 48.33% 84/90
Mathematics Standard 1 64.90% 7/12
Economics 40.46% 17/17
Food Technology 71.62% 10/13
Japanese Continuers 53% 3/3

Grade Averages
English Standard 61.11%
Maths Standard 1 51.55%
Economics 68.79%
Food Technology 75.81%
Japanese Continuers 78%

Thank you for taking your time to read this thread and help me!

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that it is a bit more difficult to provide an accurate estimate in your case than it is when assessing the position of other students under different circumstances. However, I also think that it would be reasonable to suggest that your ATAR goal of 75 is not out of reach (i.e. it is probably not a lost cause, especially considering the significance of the HSC exams), although I will note that performance at a higher standard across all your HSC exams is most likely required if you wish to maximise your chances of achieving your ATAR goal.

On a similar note, I think you could question the need for a 75 ATAR to begin with? From what I have observed, even though ACU's Bachelor of Education (Secondary) has different ATAR requirements depending on where you intend to study, the maximum ATAR requirement is 70 and that is if you wish to study in Melbourne. On the other hand, the NSW-based study options have even lower ATAR requirements, as follows:
  • Blacktown: An ATAR of 65
  • Strathfield: An ATAR of 63
Based on this, perhaps you could find some relief thanks to the fact that you can probably adjust your ATAR goal to something slightly more comfortable and one that you may be more likely to attain.

I hope this helps! 😄

HSC
I think that it is a bit more difficult to provide an accurate estimate in your case than it is when assessing the position of other students under different circumstances. However, I also think that it would be reasonable to suggest that your ATAR goal of 75 is not out of reach (i.e. it is probably not a lost cause, especially considering the significance of the HSC exams), although I will note that performance at a higher standard across all your HSC exams is most likely required if you wish to maximise your chances of achieving your ATAR goal.

On a similar note, I think you could question the need for a 75 ATAR to begin with? From what I have observed, even though ACU's Bachelor of Education (Secondary) has different ATAR requirements depending on where you intend to study, the maximum ATAR requirement is 70 and that is if you wish to study in Melbourne. On the other hand, the NSW-based study options have even lower ATAR requirements, as follows:
Based on this, perhaps you could find some relief thanks to the fact that you can probably adjust your ATAR goal to something slightly more comfortable and one that you may be more likely to attain.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thank you Jimmysmith560, the reason why I want an ATAR of 75 is because it is a very comfortable number to sit at in terms of ATAR. I also believe it to be a good goal in terms of ATAR despite the fact that I do indeed need an ATAR in the 60s to enter.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad

I hope this helps! 😄
Jimmy’s estimation is what I would give. However the question now lies in how do you think you will perform in the HSC mark wise. If it’s similar to school then Jimmy’s estimation would be accurate. But if you decide to decide to grind then a 75+ is definitely attainable.

HSC
Jimmy’s estimation is what I would give. However the question now lies in how do you think you will perform in the HSC mark wise. If it’s similar to school then Jimmy’s estimation would be accurate. But if you decide to decide to grind then a 75+ is definitely attainable.
If I try and I could get around a B (Not sure what it equates to in bands) in my subjects and potentially an A in Food Tech and Mathematics Standard 1. My teacher deliberately wrote hard tests for Mathematics Standard 1 and doing the HSC General 2 and Standard 1 tests, I have been able to obtain unusually high marks in each exam under simulated test conditions (of a mid to high B range).

In Economics, I think at best I could get a C. I find it very hard to understand what is going on and I regret doing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)