what book you use o-o (1 Viewer)

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
Hey my school is using the book by Copeland and my teacher barely covers ANYTHING. I'm serious we do one question that takes 2 mins and then he just expects us to come up with an answer after 50mins. Sometimes we even get questions that we never ever done before, and he expects us to do it without any prior preparation + thats the only questions we do for the whole period. Where no one gets the answer...we are going to fail!
Can anyone recommend any books for me to attain. I'm not sure if i should take engineering seriously anymore, it caps at 96 and i just cbf doing pure self study. Oh and just wondering the amount of people who do it in NSW and what topic you guys are up to. My school is up to mid of Civil structures, which excludes his massive skipping of parts of it. Essentially we have only covered 1/5 of the topic. If there is around 1000 people who do engineering i might consider cranking it up. Otherwise if its any higher i might bludge in it and rely on my other 10 units. Rank is 2nd but idk if i should really try for engineering anymore :vcross:

FAIL MUCH?!

hosay

HSC
N/A
Hey my school is using the book by Copeland and my teacher barely covers ANYTHING. I'm serious we do one question that takes 2 mins and then he just expects us to come up with an answer after 50mins. Sometimes we even get questions that we never ever done before, and he expects us to do it without any prior preparation + thats the only questions we do for the whole period. Where no one gets the answer...we are going to fail!
Can anyone recommend any books for me to attain. I'm not sure if i should take engineering seriously anymore, it caps at 96 and i just cbf doing pure self study. Oh and just wondering the amount of people who do it in NSW and what topic you guys are up to. My school is up to mid of Civil structures, which excludes his massive skipping of parts of it. Essentially we have only covered 1/5 of the topic. If there is around 1000 people who do engineering i might consider cranking it up. Otherwise if its any higher i might bludge in it and rely on my other 10 units. Rank is 2nd but idk if i should really try for engineering anymore :vcross:

FAIL MUCH?!
get the excel engineering studies textbook, its pretty much the only other one.
Also, if you can find them, tafe has these ebooks for engineering studies, they are detailed as fuck, like 400pages per module.

fullonoob

HSC
ROFL I DONT WANT 400 PAGES OF INFO YOU CRAZY?
id prefer summaries which i can remember fast and with ease
I'm gna go check resource section now ;)
I swear if i get a mark of < 85% im gna quit engnineering. eff it..
The teacher is like omg. Just gives a question with no answer on teh board, dno if we can even trust him. Like he gets answers which are diff to the book and he goes, 'well do you trust the book or trust me' and he always mutters his words "ahh yes, no, yes". all the questions are done from the freaking board and we dont even know if its correct or not ZOMG

I FEEL LIKE DROPPING ENGINEERING >;/

mahdi

HSC
You can get the excell book which is ok, buts its really boring. I HIGHLY recomend getting "A Students Workbook by John Rochford" and the "Typical HSC Questions by John Rochford".

I did engineering studies last year and found those two books very helpfull, however, copeland has some good stuff in it too. BIG TIP! Dont bother about ANY of the history in the copeland book, it doesnt help you and you will not get "engineering history" questions.

Also, try not to worry about your teacher too much. My teacher was pretty hopeless too, and we rarely did questions (all the questions you need will be in the rochford books anyway).

And just to let you know, some of the answers in the copeland book are wrong, so dont stress too much if your off those answers.

This is what i did last year for my HSC and got 95 for engineering studies - 10th in the state =D

If you live in the eastern suburbs i can tutor you if you want - give you some massive maths and drawing tips (dont forget drawing, its 10% of the exam!). If not, best of luck!

mahdi

HSC
Oh also, about 1600 people do engineering studies. Last year it was 1623 or something. Not too sure about this year, you can check it on Board of Studies though.

madsam

God among men
HSC
Engineering studies is heaps easy, there's nothing difficult in the course, its just remembering a whole bunch of linked and interconnected concepts

Borrow the excel book from a library and read through that, it gives a good overview of everything, and then go through the tafe notes (PM me your email and i can send you them). For exams, make notes based on the tafe notes in order to do well, and then do any and every past exam you can get your hands on.

This is the strategy i used, and i got 93, and my mate who i studied with got 97 and second in the state. The only real difficult sections are the work/power/energy questions =\

But yeah, engineering in class is a relative bludge, try and get your whole class to do well, cause of scaling and all that

mahdi

HSC
"Engineering studies is heaps easy, there's nothing difficult in the course"

i dunno some drawing questions ive seen in past papers..Fucking ouch

"97 and second in the state"

Damn if only i knew how to do that 2 mark plane question.

"But yeah, engineering in class is a relative bludge"

Haha so true

fullonoob

HSC
lmao the gay thing is we have to follow what he does. so can't like avoid doing his shit ass questions. a 2 min question and gives us a period. greeeeatt
no theory or teaching before it and tells us to do a question we never learnt before...hoooorrraayy.
hmm 1600...top 50 in state is beating 97% of the people. I'll assume 80% are stooges :apig: lol we're reading bicycle history in class ... sooo boring. discouraging me from continuing engineering. Anyone have GOOD SHORT summary notes, that are not tedious and do not have mind blowing big words, or an overcomplex understanding behind the work? Send plox :D

scroates

fresh meat
HSC
guy at my school topped it last year and we had the same kind of teacher. go figure

scorch62

Retired Blade Runner
HSC
Schlenker and Mckern Mechanics book and the Materials book
and also the two Copeland books (HSC and Prelim)

Personally I've also gotten the Excel Senior Engineering book and it's alright.

Also why would you want to have short, concise notes when you don't know the reasoning behind things? From experience if you could get those 400 page TAFE notes and make notes from those, you'd be set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)