• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What books + 1st year tips? (1 Viewer)

Igal0s

HSC
G'day guys. I've been chillin' my balls off these holidays to the max and I decided that now its time to do something a little productive. I was considering getting some or all of my text books for my first year Uni Science/Commerce course and getting a bit of a head start. The problem is that initially I thought ill be getting all the text books but I hear that a lot of them are barely ever used and that there is no point. My question to you guys is: Which books tend to be a necessity at Uni and I should definitely consider getting? Is getting a head start is even worthwhile at tertiary level? if yes, what are some other ways through which i could get a head start at Uni? I'd also like to add that I am considering all the following ideas since I am hoping to transfer by the end of the year into Eng/Science / Eng/Com / Medicine or straight Commerce based on my experience in my 1st year Uni (I picked this course just to gain a bit of perspective of what I really like since I'm about a year younger than everyone else I figured I might as well, got no clue what I wanna be doing yet) and hence I'd need to achieve quite a high GPA average. Thanks in advance for anyone who could help :)

Last edited:
T

thegovernator

(1) Congrats on getting into uni
(2) Contact the faculty or subject coordinator and ask them politely if you can have a copy of the subject outline/s in advance because you want to get a head start. from my experience they are generally cool with this.
(3) Borrow some of the texts they recommend from the library, and do some of the recommended 'readings' in the subject outline. I would probably wait till first week before buying any texts, but it's up to you.

Alternately, if your lectures are recorded and available for purchase (many lectures are at UTS for instance), maybe buy some of these and give them a listen to get the flavour for the subject before you begin.

Hope that helps. Good luck with it all!

T

thegovernator

Further, I would be inclined to work VERY hard in the first semester, not leaving anything to chance. If you do better than expected, well that is a bonus. But it will guard against the possibility of getting a shitty GPA in the first semester which will place you under unnecessary stress in the 2nd semester should you seek to raise your GPA. Common sense stuff really!

Igal0s

HSC
fair enough :) thanks for that mate! No more suggestions people?

Evilo

HSC
Igal0s said:
My question to you guys is: Which books tend to be a necessity at Uni and I should definitely consider getting?
thats what second years are for, in that case either ask the 2nd years on bos, or meet them in oweek and ask.
Igal0s said:
Is getting a head start is even worthwhile at tertiary level if yes, what are some other ways through which i could get a head start at Uni?
yeah if you like, background reading is always useful.
All courses at anu provide 'preliminary reading' in the course outline, so im sure other unis have the equivelent - borrow them from the library

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
nick1689 said:
When do we get our subject outline's?
First lecture, usually. (You're going to Sydney, yeah? On the Usyd board we have an outline thread where people post up outlines for subjects they've done, so you can have a look at what the units have been like in previous years.)

nick1689

HSC
Whoa, three replies all in a space of in 2 minutes, how effecient. Thanks for the help!

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
All courses at anu provide 'preliminary reading' in the course outline, so im sure other unis have the equivelent - borrow them from the library
preliminary reading lol

i tried to start reading my microecomics 2 text book but it was too hard, thought "ahh fuck it" and stopped reading after page 4 (and poured myself some rum)

holidays drain every gram of motivation from me.

Evilo

HSC
hahaha yeah, i did too, but if he wants too, i won't stop him :p

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
prelim reading is for pussies anyway, it's essentially so you get into the "train of thought". if you do finance you could read the australian financial review and that would probably be prelim reading.

my 2c

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)