• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What can go wrong in ... (1 Viewer)

chomp

HSC
What can go wrong in ...
Meiosis
DNA replication
Protein synthesis
please help for assesment on monday!:(

popoman16161

HSC
oakhill college huh?

i do bio as well =0
i dont think u can study for this cuz its practical processes...
well thats what my teacher said...

HSC
chomp said:
What can go wrong in ...
Meiosis
DNA replication
Protein synthesis
please help for assesment on monday!:(
hmm, not totally sure of the answer, but without looking at my books i'm thinking:

meiosis - mutation in the sex cells perhaps, which could result in some kind of genetic abnormality/inherited disease

DNA replication - addition/deletion/substitution of one of the four case pairs, resulting in problems with producing proteins, i.e. could cause a dysfunctional enzyme. may not produce a stop codon for a particular protein

protein synthesis - i don't really know how to explain this one but there is an example that jumps to mind. certain people can't produce a protein which results in 'sickle cell anemia', where the blood vessels are oddly shaped and can't carry as much oxygen etc

i think that's correct, but perhaps wait for someone else to verify that before committing it to memory.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
You can get chromosomal abnormalities occuring during meiosis. Sometimes when the pairs of homologous chromosomes split up one of the daughter cells ends up with both of the pair and the other daughter cell has none. The cell that ends up with none is usually not viable, but the other (if it results in a pregnancy) can cause a trisomy, where the baby has three copies of a particular chromosome, instead of the usual two.

Trisomy 21 (when there are three copies of the 21st chromosome) results in Down's syndrome. This is probably the most widely known trisomy.

Other types of trisomy include Klinefelter's syndrome, where a person has XXY instead of the usual XX or XY sex chromosomes, and XXX syndrome, where the affected person has three x chromosomes. People with XXX syndrome are generally indistinguishable from normal females - it is quite possible that they can spend their whole lives without ever being diagnosed.

There is also Turner's syndrome, which is not a trisomy, but results from a delection of one of the X chromosomes (it is the only monosomy that can result in a viable foetus, as far as I know).

If you want to look up more info, you should google "aneuploidy."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)