What car will you get as your first car? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
RX8 is a good car if you have $$ and are learning to drive. It's nice and easy to drive, not too fast, reasonably safe and also quite practical, and has good looks for a P plater car.

61st of April

HSC
RX8 is a good car if you have $$ and are learning to drive. It's nice and easy to drive, not too fast, reasonably safe and also quite practical, and has good looks for a P plater car.

They were out of my price range a little bit, and yes, they would definitely be more practical than my car, with a joke of a back seat (they're fine if the front seats are positioned as far forward as they will go - luckily I'm short enough to drive like that :D ). I used to not like the front end as much, but it seems ok these days, especially compared to the new one (as of 2008 i think...). They went all scary and weird-looking after that...

Only thing is that rotary engines aren't nearly as fuel efficient as they could be, which is a shame

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly speaking the RX-8 is a beautiful car but the new facelift looks way too tryhard... especially when the car doesn't have the grunt to match the exterior. I suppose that's what makes it the ideal P-plate car though.

61st of April

HSC
Honestly speaking the RX-8 is a beautiful car but the new facelift looks way too tryhard... especially when the car doesn't have the grunt to match the exterior. I suppose that's what makes it the ideal P-plate car though.

The previous shape was much nicer imho, and the previous tail lights were cool and didn't need changing... True - a vigorous-looking car needs a vigorous engine underneath, otherwise it just makes the driver look a bit "wannabe" and "the looks make up for (and try to hide) the fact this car has no real power". It would be ok if the car didn't have a powerful look about it - it raises expectations only to be let down by what's underneath...

Same goes with the Mazda3 - that front end looks pure evil and not in a good way - I looked twice when there was one in my rear view mirror

The only Mazda that improved heaps with it's facelift was the Mazda2 - the previous Mazda2 was just plain ugly. No offense if anyone here has one/knows someone with one. The top of the range new MX-5 is also ok, but the softtop's front looks a little too rounded - they all need those sharp fog/driving lights that the hardtop has

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ LOL my gf agrees the facelifted 2 looks considerably lightyears ahead of the previous one.

As for the new 3, I don't know where I stand on it. It's a bit too futuristic/aggressive/exciting for such a mainstream car but then I guess that is the point of differentation from the Corollas and Civics. It doesn't try to look overly fast but I'm guessing the ones you are referring to would either be the SP25 (with a huge mouth) or the MPS which has a big hole in the forehead!

61st of April

HSC
^ LOL my gf agrees the facelifted 2 looks considerably lightyears ahead of the previous one.

As for the new 3, I don't know where I stand on it. It's a bit too futuristic/aggressive/exciting for such a mainstream car but then I guess that is the point of differentation from the Corollas and Civics. It doesn't try to look overly fast but I'm guessing the ones you are referring to would either be the SP25 (with a huge mouth) or the MPS which has a big hole in the forehead!
Yes that'd be them - and I'm mainly referring to the wagons - it was an SP25 wagon in the rear view mirror and it looked like if I stopped, it would just keep coming and swallow my car, but the front of the sedan SP25 is just as bad... I suppose you mustn't suffer from stone-chips so much on the front bumper, seeing as there's hardly any painted metal there!

I can see your point as to moving away from the "normal" body shape when it comes to the styling on sedans and wagons, and trying something different is a bold move considering everyone's familiar with the Toyota/Ford/Holden style body shape and that's where all the sales are, but I just can't get around that gaping front of the SP25 - to me it just makes the car look so creepy/obnoxious - it's out of proportion to the rest of the car

And yes, it is the MPS which looks like it's looks will deliver more power than the engine ever will, but I suppose some people like driving cars that "look" fast and it will all come down to individual tastes

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes that'd be them - and I'm mainly referring to the wagons - it was an SP25 wagon in the rear view mirror and it looked like if I stopped, it would just keep coming and swallow my car, but the front of the sedan SP25 is just as bad... I suppose you mustn't suffer from stone-chips so much on the front bumper, seeing as there's hardly any painted metal there!

I can see your point as to moving away from the "normal" body shape when it comes to the styling on sedans and wagons, and trying something different is a bold move considering everyone's familiar with the Toyota/Ford/Holden style body shape and that's where all the sales are, but I just can't get around that gaping front of the SP25 - to me it just makes the car look so creepy/obnoxious - it's out of proportion to the rest of the car

And yes, it is the MPS which looks like it's looks will deliver more power than the engine ever will, but I suppose some people like driving cars that "look" fast and it will all come down to individual tastes
From what I've read the MPS actually is quite fast and can give most cars a run for their money.. only thing I heard was bad (in the old MPS 3 at least) was the lack of traction/grip. That being said, I still think the smiling with a bullet hole in the head look is not to my fancy lol.

61st of April

HSC
From what I've read the MPS actually is quite fast and can give most cars a run for their money.. only thing I heard was bad (in the old MPS 3 at least) was the lack of traction/grip. That being said, I still think the smiling with a bullet hole in the head look is not to my fancy lol.
Oh really? I was under the impression that they didn't have very impressive engines, being nothing more than a Mazda sedan and wagon (though I think they call it a hatch?) with aggressive styling.

I still can't get past the fact that these cars are marketed as family cars with the looks that they have. I can't imagine seeing somebody in a Coles carpark loading two kids < the age of 5, the dog and the groceries into one. Maybe they've started leaning a little bit towards the FPV/HSV's - NEVER seen one of those being used as the family car either despite the cars' popular family car base lol

Speaking of family cars, what is happening to them these days??? Maybe it wasn't their primary car, but a few months ago I saw a relatively young mum and dad with two toddlers strapped into their car seats, and all four were crammed into a shiny CLK 350 convertible. The roof was up and it was mid-late afternoon, so it looked like "head home from work and pick the kids up from pre-school on the way" time... ??? Whhhhhaaaa-? What ever happened to the trusty Corolla or the common Falcon/Commodore? I must be older than I think...

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Powerful front-wheel drive means torque steer for days though.
Nah they had a torque sensing flywheel that limited torque to some (still ridiculous) arbitrary figure. Was just as fast as a WRX around a track, wasn't it? I'd definitely get one, love hot hatches.

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
Nissan Micra, Ford Fiesta or Mazda 2. Whatever is cheapest when I've saved enough D:

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Commodore VUII Ute, 2002. Needs to be kept nice and shiny though so it looks nice and new.

Last edited:

walkahz

HSC
Im hoping to get a '69 holdent ht kingswood :uhoh: well once i clear some room in the shed to rebuild one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)