What carries the Strong Nuclear Force? (1 Viewer)

Jase

HSC
Is it the Pi-Meson (Pion) or the Gluon or both?
Actaully, more specifically, what the hell is the difference between fundamental and residual force? it's always mentioned, but i don't know what it is.
Or is this Chromodynamics, and out of our league.
What else could you talk about in that SNF dot point then?

And also, is there any difference between Neutron capture by U-235 and U-238? Or is one just more fissionable than the other?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
U-235 is fissionable, U-238 is not, however it will become U-239 which decays ultimately into Pu-239 which is.

The first bit just say gluons, which I think it is anyway, the rest is not needed for the syllabus. The fundamental forces are electroweak, strong nuclear and gravity don't know exactly what residual is.

Jase

HSC
Ah okay thanks. So is U-238 more common in the ore than U-235? or is it used just because it makes Plutonium which is better at fission than U235?

Ah and .. i've found that the "Fundamental SNF" is carried by gluons and affects color, charge, quarks, where as the "Residual SNF" is the interaction between Hadrons, i.e. protons.. and is carried by the pion. Which means.. im guessing the syllabus is infact reffering to the residual SNF force, and IS the Pion. haha, so if you get that question in the exam, write both for extra cookie points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)