What Cars does everyone drive?? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Well yea, but something with say 80kw per ton isn't going to make you gun the motor but it'll have a decent amount of in-gear accel when you need it. I also agree with the power restrictions but its idiotic the way it was implemented. Turbo chargers and cyl numbers...really? Power to weight ratio is the way to go. I hate my Red Ps, being forced to drive 90 in a 110 zone can be pretty dangerous at times.
Haha you get over it. I survived it- you can too.

But yeh, T/C and cylinder numbers was stupid. That being said, P Platers shouldn't be driving 350z/370z's when they're newbies either hence the power to weight would've been far better.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha you get over it. I survived it- you can too.

But yeh, T/C and cylinder numbers was stupid. That being said, P Platers shouldn't be driving 350z/370z's when they're newbies either hence the power to weight would've been far better.
It seems silly that something like an Audi 1.8T would be banned (something that's VERY safe and practical) while a 210kw Falcodore 6Cyl isn't.

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
Oops I misread his Q as what to buy with $20k... and yeh, there isn't really a threshold. Keep in mind that as a newbie driver, chances are you will **** up and if anything, underpowered cars are a great way to learn how to drive 'properly' and not rely on electronics or technology (or power) to get you out of trouble. I learnt on a 1.3L Daihatsu Terios which had no stability, no handling, and no power. Taught me a lot about being very pre-emptive (throttle lag in roundabouts, risk of tipping over, etc) in daily driving. Also note that if your first P plater car is a Bimmer, even a 10 year old one, you aren't going to appreciate the dynamics of the car or how it differs from normal cars... ruins the fun IMO.
haha yeah im learning on a 1.8L 4cyl corrolla lol
its slow as, but i dont really want to get a ride like this for a first car
i dont mind it being underpowered/ looking like shit but i just want my personality to be there in the car

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
i dont mind it being underpowered/ looking like shit but i just want my personality to be there in the car
A corolla 1.8L isn't too bad... definitely not underpowered at all. I can see what you mean by the personality thing but for a first car, it's not that bad either.

It seems silly that something like an Audi 1.8T would be banned (something that's VERY safe and practical) while a 210kw Falcodore 6Cyl isn't.
Same issue as the C200 Kompressor.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
True motoring enthusiast :)
Personality in a car is everything haha.

I disagree with Corollas being "not that bad". In terms of braking distances, accel, handling, lateral G, standard features - essentially "how much car you get" you could go a lot better for something that price.

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
A corolla 1.8L isn't too bad... definitely not underpowered at all. I can see what you mean by the personality thing but for a first car, it's not that bad either.
you reckon? i havent really driven that fast, just caning from 30kph to 80kph on highway. ive never actually gone about 85kph so i dont know the true power haha. but acceleration is relatively slow

I disagree with Corollas being "not that bad". In terms of braking distances, accel, handling, lateral G, standard features - essentially "how much car you get" you could go a lot better for something that price.
:)
as im still on my Ls (fml) i havent driven many cars to compare with. ive just driven a hybrid corrolla, lancer and corrolla
the lancer was really nice, but i wouldnt know the true potential of these cars since i drive pretty conservatively...(i need to get onto the track to have some fun after i get my Ps lol)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

They're reliable, they don't handle spectacularly or put the power down that quick, but for the majority of the population they do the trick.

you reckon? i havent really driven that fast, just caning from 30kph to 80kph on highway. ive never actually gone about 85kph so i dont know the true power haha. but acceleration is relatively slow
The 100kW Rollas aren't that useless... big improvement over my Terios and even comparable to my Civic.

:)
as im still on my Ls (fml) i havent driven many cars to compare with. ive just driven a hybrid corrolla, lancer and corrolla
the lancer was really nice, but i wouldnt know the true potential of these cars since i drive pretty conservatively...(i need to get onto the track to have some fun after i get my Ps lol)
Haha just drive and keep on driving. More experience will give you better appreciation of the cars and their abilities.

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
They're reliable, they don't handle spectacularly or put the power down that quick, but for the majority of the population they do the trick.

The 100kW Rollas aren't that useless... big improvement over my Terios and even comparable to my Civic.

Haha just drive and keep on driving. More experience will give you better appreciation of the cars and their abilities.

haha yeah thats why i didnt want like a civic/integra or even a non turbo skyline, i know itd be way too powerful for me since im used to driving an 80fwkw car

haha yeah i like driving but unfortunately i only drive about 2-3 hrs a week (to the same place so its incredibly boring)

*edit: i think first time i drive a GTR properly im going to shit my pants...80kw to 206kw LOL

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
haha yeah thats why i didnt want like a civic/integra or even a non turbo skyline, i know itd be way too powerful for me since im used to driving an 80fwkw car

haha yeah i like driving but unfortunately i only drive about 2-3 hrs a week (to the same place so its incredibly boring)

*edit: i think first time i drive a GTR properly im going to shit my pants...80kw to 206kw LOL
You could just drive something in between such as a modern Civic, Corolla, Lancer, etc... a lot of cars are in the 100-120kW category. Even a Golf GTI is only 150kW (I found it to be a bit slow but a lot of people swear by it).

ps. You are the only person I know who uses "fwkw" to quote flywheel kW. I even had to google it because I thought you may have meant kW @ the front wheels lol.

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
You could just drive something in between such as a modern Civic, Corolla, Lancer, etc... a lot of cars are in the 100-120kW category. Even a Golf GTI is only 150kW (I found it to be a bit slow but a lot of people swear by it).

ps. You are the only person I know who uses "fwkw" to quote flywheel kW. I even had to google it because I thought you may have meant kW @ the front wheels lol.
haha yeah true. if i dont get a bimmer ill prob just use the corrolla :)

lol i thought it meant front wheel kW...my bad, i usually just state "kw at the flywheel" when i want to quote fwkw haha

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
haha yeah true. if i dont get a bimmer ill prob just use the corrolla :)

lol i thought it meant front wheel kW...my bad, i usually just state "kw at the flywheel" when i want to quote fwkw haha
LOL the Corolla will do fine. You're a new driver. Live and learn. Once you start moving up you also develop badddd habits (e.g. late braking) and then when you go back to a less well endowed car you get cranky :)

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL the Corolla will do fine. You're a new driver. Live and learn. Once you start moving up you also develop badddd habits (e.g. late braking) and then when you go back to a less well endowed car you get cranky :)
First thing I learned in my old '96 Corolla before moving on. NEVER brake and turn. Spectacular understeer in the wet followed by snap oversteer.

hvf26: Honestly though mate, don't bother buying something high performance unless you can afford to maintain it. Petrol, insurance and eventually (yes, I said eventually) repairs are murder on the wallet. There are mid powered cars around that are fun to drive before moving onto dream machines.

Exactly. That makes them mundane and therefore boring. Driving is meant to be fun.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Exactly. That makes them mundane and therefore boring. Driving is meant to be fun.
Fair enough. Although I still reckon for a newbie driver, they're fine. Fun comes later once you've driven a bit more... but then I could also argue the Terios was "fun" in a way.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Fair enough. Although I still reckon for a newbie driver, they're fine. Fun comes later once you've driven a bit more... but then I could also argue the Terios was "fun" in a way.
I've always found unusual or antipodian cars interesting and the Terios is definitely in the interesting catagory. I've found that some cars are so bad, that their badness gives them character which is a little better than cars that are just outright boring :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've always found unusual or antipodian cars interesting and the Terios is definitely in the interesting catagory. I've found that some cars are so bad, that their badness gives them character which is a little better than cars that are just outright boring :)
Maybe that's why I also like driving the Proton Gen2 :) It's a bit like roulette with which part of the car will fail everytime I drive!

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe that's why I also like driving the Proton Gen2 :) It's a bit like roulette with which part of the car will fail everytime I drive!
I've tried that car, the handling was actually fairly impressive for a budgetmobile! What sorta reliability issues are you getting out of it? :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've tried that car, the handling was actually fairly impressive for a budgetmobile! What sorta reliability issues are you getting out of it? :)
Everything from car not starting, to lights not working, to windows not working, to alarm not turning off and still flashing (but the car works fine?), gearbox, etc...

Surprisingly the handling is decent, and the stock sound system was also surprising.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Everything from car not starting, to lights not working, to windows not working, to alarm not turning off and still flashing (but the car works fine?), gearbox, etc...

Surprisingly the handling is decent, and the stock sound system was also surprising.
Wow...That's character all right :p
The suspension (from memory) was designed by the folks at Lotus so I suspect that was the reason why the car felt so planted the first time I tried one :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)