What Clubs and Socs are you joining this year? (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Joined Musical Society (choir), Debating (pity it clashes with choir rehearsals but you only need to quote your card number and there's no membership fee), and UniBodhi. Most clubs' joining fees are $5 with Access card, but there are some places with $10 so make sure you bring a wad of cash with you.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
so liberal club membership is free?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
so liberal club membership is free?
They said it was $5 but they guy who I asked if I needed to pay said don't worry about it.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Hey I joined the ComSoc (well I do a degree related to that). There were trillions of freebies. Well it was either them who gave it to me or their freebies got mixed up with the Co-op and accesscard "showbags".

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sparcod - yes, comsoc always has a shitload of freebies thanks to some fantastic sponsors. also, make sure you go to first year camp. a number of bosers went last year and can confirm that it was amazing.

stickywages

HSC
N/A
I wanted to join a club today, sooo i went there,

and nobody's there! what the... why did they leave so early..
is it because it was raining?

:(

nobody was there when I went last year ..... (and I went like twice to the stall..)

I wonder what's happening

stazi

Nightman
HSC
stickywages said:
I wanted to join a club today, sooo i went there,

and nobody's there! what the... why did they leave so early..
is it because it was raining?

:(

nobody was there when I went last year ..... (and I went like twice to the stall..)

I wonder what's happening
...?
people left around 3-3.30 when it started raining. there was a shitload of people there before that. what club?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Yeh the rain spoilt it. I'll have to go earlier tomorrow....

Hey, how many clubs, on average, do people join?
How many of them are study-related?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I joined a lot less than I do normally this year: about 3. Probably join up to a few more tomorrow.

Subski is a good non-degree-related society.
ComSoc is also quite good despite it being degree-related. Last year we had loads of arts, science, etc students join, due to our awesome parties.

stickywages

HSC
N/A
hahahah i went at like 4 pm. wtf
(it was scary, there were people and it was kinda misty! nooooooooooooo)

Sparcod, I don't know how many clubs people join (on avg) but it seems like...first years usually join more clubs than third/fourth/fifth etc years.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Seems like it to me too. First years are usually over optimistic and see uni through rose-coloured glasses. They think they'll have all the time in the world to attend the 1000000000 clubs they join up for. By second year, you're jaded and have a better idea of what your commitment and study times are actually like, and can organise better. Plus the financial incentive that you have to pay for your ACCESS card and then pay an often elevated fee for the individual club (usually $3 last year, now it's $5 min and some clubs have joining fees of $10), and/or SU Sport membership plus individual club costs.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Joined maksoc and edsoc.

I'm the secretary of maksoc (wtf I know) so I was obliged to, plus it was free and they gave me lollies and pepsi.

Edsoc has bbqs often, and I want some ed friends.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
So if you want to join a Sport club , you need SU Sport membership? How much is that worth and is that the same thing that gets you into the gym too?

stickywages

HSC
N/A
Sparcod said:
So if you want to join a Sport club , you need SU Sport membership? How much is that worth and is that the same thing that gets you into the gym too?
SU Sport membership (lasts 12 months from the time you join) is $55

After that, you need to purchase a pass...or pay as you use the facilities each time

$55 itself doesn't get you into the gym/courts etc

If you join SU Sports I don't think you need to pay $37 on top of the club fees (if you join sports clubs)

Hope that helps. For more info, check out:

http://www.susport.com/

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Trebla said:
Sorry if this sounds absurd, but when I signed up for a couple of clubs/socs I had to pay for membership and got a little "showbag" full of brochures and items but when I signed up for SciSoc, I just wrote my details on that list, and that was it; no membership fee nor 'showbag'. Is that supposed to happen? Or did I miss something?....lol
Can anyone answer my question?

I remember sitting in the Eastern Lecture Auditorium at the "Successful Essay Writing" lecture when the rain came. Everyone was like dozing off to sleep because the lecturer was speaking in nothing but a monotone. All of sudden there was a loud explosion of thunder and everyone got a rude awakening and finally payed attention for the rest of the lecture....lol

Also, do you reckon 3-4 clubs/socs would be enough or too much for a first year student?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Trebla- I remember that lecture...there was a high "dropout" rate.

I'm planning to join 3-4 clubs as well and I'm also in 1st year.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
Can anyone answer my question?

I remember sitting in the Eastern Lecture Auditorium at the "Successful Essay Writing" lecture when the rain came. Everyone was like dozing off to sleep because the lecturer was speaking in nothing but a monotone. All of sudden there was a loud explosion of thunder and everyone got a rude awakening and finally payed attention for the rest of the lecture....lol

Also, do you reckon 3-4 clubs/socs would be enough or too much for a first year student?
With SciSoc, it's run by the faculty so you probably didn't get a show bag with it. At least that's what I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)