What Clubs/Societies did you join? (1 Viewer)

hysteria

HSC
comsoc
AYBC
IBSoc (i don't know why i joined that)
HKClub (don't know why i joined that either)
Union of Chinese Students (or something along those lines)
Politics Society
Political Economy society/club
Chopsticks

..i think i joined too many...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Yeah, I was at around 28 hours awake by that point, and still angry at the Union. Tomorrow I'll be a lot more calmer, and I'll have a lot more staff with me.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
hah, i didnt realise what you gave me was isa stuff, i would have asked you more about isa if i had known. (didnt look at the thing till later)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The Update is a publication of the ISA's Communications and Outreach division. So while it's technically an ISA project, it's impartial student media first. A copy of the Update for those of you who haven't seen it is available on the ISA website, at http://theupdate.isa-usyd.org/update0601.pdf, with all the mistakes and shoddy editing intact.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Ok, had a look at those links provided above... thinking of joining the following:

- Young Entrepreneurs Society
- Computer Science Undergraduate Society
- Jazz Society
- Chess Club
- Information Technologies Society

Anyone have any experiences with these Socs?

Phanatical said:
By "USU Representative", we mean "Rose Jackson and Sam Crosby", immediate past presidents of the Union and SRC, and I wasn't "told off" as much as "led away by security". Of course, Security support the ISA, and they put me into a location both outside the Union jurisdiction and with far higher traffic than the actual O-week stalls.
Wait, so what were you doing? You must have been inciting this result somehow.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Yes, I get the distinct impression that Quah isn't telling us everything.

I joined:

the Oaktree Foundation
Amnesty
Labor left, and regretted not joinging Labor Right
ComSoc
UniBodhi

kcchippy

HSC
I joined FMAA, ComSoc and Science Revue. Was considering joining the International Business society cos the guy was really nice..but I was too lazy to go back there later...I was also harassed into giving my contact details to the Evangelical Christian Group...although I suspect that was a HUGE mistake... My friend almost got me to join the Inner Child Club..but jumping castles, bubbles and water fights didn't quite appeal to me....

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
- Liberal club
- SciRevue society
- Inner child society
- SURCAS
- SUEUA (though I was essentially already a life member)

and considering joining SUWIE to be a mentor.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I don't think they had anything against The Update per se, as much as they did the fact that it was an ISA project ("trespassing" on a Union event without permission from the Union Board controlled by political factions we're fighting against), and that, in their words, "it's offensive, and they've had a lot of complaints about the content". They do this, because they know that not only does The Update undermine the veil of secrecy they're trying to force students under, but that it'd piss me off greatly. I swear, I'd like to wipe that smirk off Sam Crosby's face. And don't get me started on that bitch Rose Jackson. It was like the 2004 SRC Election all over again, trying to intimidate me out of the election. Sam Crosby really did come through with his threat though, the Sydney Eclectic Composers Society lost Union funding, and is now an ISA society (the first of what we hope will be many).

They wanted me physically banned from the campus, full stop. Only by virtue of the fact that I actually am a student at the University (as opposed to the many student politicians who come on campus from other unis to campaign for various political causes [and yes, even in o-week]) has the restriction been limited to campaigning on campus during O-week. There are at least two Union directors who will come to bat for me at Union Board, but it's too late to do anything about it now.

Last edited:

franklin265

HSC
I'm going to join the photosoc on friday! anyway, i went yesterday right to check out what's there and shit, you know, alot of unexpected things then again i had to remind myself it's sydney uni. i've been told it's quite diverse.

did anyone catch the stall that had the slogan unfuck the world? i'm trying to remember what that stall was.

anyway. who read the bull? the list on 10 things to do during o-week made me laugh. especially the one on joining that religious club, i think number 8 or 9.

niteshade1312

HSC
franklin265 said:
anyway. who read the bull? the list on 10 things to do during o-week made me laugh. especially the one on joining that religious club, i think number 8 or 9.
Yeah, thats reall hilarious, because we all know its true! They were sooo scary, kept asking me weird questions... I had to run a few times!

J

jhakka

I joined the Photographic Society. Might have to shift my timetable a bit to make room for it.

I'm very disappointed with O-Week this year. Not one religious person tried to shove a flier down my throat. :(

bugs

I posted what i joined on another thread somewhere..... but oh well i'll do it again;

German Kultur Klub :D
Labour Club - which i now regret as i am not particularly political - i had this 'Fuck off Liberal scum' shirt that my friend made me wear ! :eek:
Marxist club :uhoh:
Archery club - :D
Union of chinese students - basically for the vouchers!(karaoke) :) I'm not even chinese :eek: well, half ;)

HAHA lol this person gave my friend (who's muslim) this flyer for this 'christian BBQ' lol
In terms of O - Week, i expected more. I WAS slightly disappointed.

1. When they said 'mini train' they REALLY meant it (only 2 carriages!) i was expecting the ones at Darling Harbour!
2. I had to pay to join various clubs - i expected, having paid union fees to join for free :(
3. The jumping castle was way small, - when i got there a bunch of wierdos :D in black robe things were hogging it :(
4. The Ferris Wheel didn't look like a Ferris Wheel :eek: - arent they round?

Last edited by a moderator:

tennille

HSC
What societies? Not many. I was going to join the photographic society as well, but I won't be able to attend much of the activities. I joined Scisoc (how cool!) online. I might check it out again tomorrow. Get some more free shampoo and conditioner. :p

kcchippy

HSC
How do you join SciSoc online. Because I'm too lazy to go back through that maze of stalls and sign up.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i highly recommend ComSoc - even if you dont do any eco/business subs.
1) you get the best bag from all the clubs and socs (with contents of over $60 worth)
2) i'm in it :eek:
3) First Year Camp!@!!!! :D unlimited alcohol
4) Really awesome social events (think SubSki parties except without the jocks and better value!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)