What Course Should I Do? (1 Viewer)

Lordsion

HSC
I Want to do a Medical based course like medical science, psychology, MEDICINE!!, or other medical courses.

I just dont know what to choose. I am a rural student, with a planned UAI of 90 -- what can i do??

I like hands on, well paying occupations. What courses do you think will give me this?

EDIT: What is Pharmacy Like - anybody do it? i have heard it is boring ----

What about pharmacy at Charles Sturt? 80 UAI at Orange.

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
I'm doing Medical Science.
It's hands on and kickass.

Contrary to popular belief on this forum, there are many jobs in the medsc sector, and many of them pay quite well.

Emulie

HSC
So you're a high school student???
If so i had the same sort of problem. Psychology. I would suggest if you cant get medical science maybe physics. Its helped me so far. I can get into the uni of my choice next year for psychology.

ssglain

HSC
Most health science degrees lead to hands-on, well-paid careers - pharmacy, physio, nutrition, sports science, radiology, etc. etc.

I think Newcastle offers special entry provisions for rural students so the UAI cut-off for MBBS is something like 90. Check up on that because it's only something I heard in the wind, and since I'm not rural have never applied to study at Newcastle I can't really say for sure. There are also special scholarships for rural students to study MBBS at most unis.

Marinababy

HSC
N/A
You can do physio in some places without umat and orthotics and med science - dont know about the salary but i heard its extremely good for orthotics

M

Marinababy

HSC
N/A
You can get into med with 90 but higher gives you more chance

M

Lordsion said:
I Want to do a Medical based course like medical science, psychology, MEDICINE!!, or other medical courses.

I just dont know what to choose. I am a rural student, with a planned UAI of 90 -- what can i do??

I like hands on, well paying occupations. What courses do you think will give me this?

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, to do Medicine, i think you may have to Increase you UAI aim. You can get in with 90, but only at Adelaide and Bond (there might be more, correct me if i'm wrong). And even then, you would need a KILLER UMAT and Interview. Be aware that bond is a private University, and you will need to pay DFEE for it.

You could do podiatry? a friend of mine does that, and he says its pretty good. that has a pretty low UAI cut off.

But for other health courses, the only one you can realisticcally get with UAI 90 is Medical science. It may be hands on, but i dont no about the pay. (even if boris says so, sorry). Physio again higher UAI,a nd i dont know much about psychology and the others.

HSC
N/A
HI,

My mum is a psychologist and earns 80k per year doing organisational psychology with not much hands on stuff, but if she were to have taken the clinical psychology line the pay would have been much better and would have been almost all hands on work.

msomana

HSC
I believe he actually said he is a rural student. I'd say you have a pretty good chance at most universities through their access schemes for rural students. You are definitely able to get into Adelaide with 90+ being a rural student (I know of a couple with 87).

L337

Made of Win!
HSC
Lordsion said:
Dentistry.

Not that I'm like, biased or anything. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)