What course you doing next year? (1 Viewer)

lastofus

HSC
whered you gert that from? whats the comp sci comparison between the 2?
Every year, QS does a worldwide university ranking by taking into account different factors such as academic reputation, employer reputation etc. It is a credible use of ranking as it is also used by universities to advertise (i.e. UNSW). However, of course every university has its perks. In terms of computer science, UNSW ranks 35th in the world which is 1 rank higher than USyd.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I've been to both UNSW and UWS.

To say the least, UNSW has better organisation in its coursework and has a nice campus. However some of the buildings are old af along with shit facilities. They renovate the wrong things and use money for things that don't need to be updated. The library computers are old af and it's shit.

At UWS facilities are much better, everything is newly constructed and polished. The campuses are full of nature, but not that great in terms of many buildings. Social life is dead. The library computers are amazing, they are new and look really nice.

In terms of lecturers, both uni have great teaching staff.

HSC
N/A
Because I'm atrocious at making decisions I'm tossing up between:

International security/languages @ANU
International security/science @ANU
Advanced science @ANU
International studies @UNSW
Med science @USyd

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
I think the PhB program at ANU is strictly 99 ATAR+. Well, that's what they said when I toured the campus, but heck, I/they could be wrong.
Yep that's correct, no bonus points either.

International security/languages @ANU
International security/science @ANU
Advanced science @ANU
International studies @UNSW
Med science @USyd
I know quite a few people considering the International security degree at the ANU. In reality it's a rebranded arts degree with majors tailored to give it a different look, but of course that doesn't mean it's not worthwhile. You have a slightly strange combination of degrees here going on with all the science and arts subjects and then medical science, what are you aiming to do? If you plan to work in DFAT or in an NGO doing International Relations type stuff, International Security with languages is a very good idea. I've heard good things about the advanced science course at ANU but apparently it doesn't stack up to UNSW. What's with the med science though, holding out hopes for postgrad med?

HSC
N/A
Basically I'm pretty much evenly split between humanities and sciences - I love both. My UMAT was okay but not competitive enough, so I think I could improve and make it into postgrad med. On the other hand, I'm very interested in security/foreign policy etc. and would transfer into law/security to give a bit more of an edge. Would be looking at studying arabic/indonesian...
I feel like I've narrowed it down to security at ANU or med sci and USYD...

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Basically I'm pretty much evenly split between humanities and sciences - I love both. My UMAT was okay but not competitive enough, so I think I could improve and make it into postgrad med. On the other hand, I'm very interested in security/foreign policy etc. and would transfer into law/security to give a bit more of an edge. Would be looking at studying arabic/indonesian...
I feel like I've narrowed it down to security at ANU or med sci and USYD...
Just keep in mind that 'getting an edge' by doing a law degree entails an extra two or three years to your degree. Moreover, if it's international security you're interested in, the only law unit I can think of that is actually relevant is international law which isn't taken until the second year of the degree.

As to the choice between med sci and security, it's down to you as to whether you want to pursue medicine or not.

rawrliongirl

HSC
My time is valuable ok
.....People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non linear, non subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. The Doctor is your dp after all.

rawrliongirl

HSC
I got guaranteed entry at UNSW for Bachelor of science, arts and fine arts and an early offer from UOW for Medical Biotech and medicinal chem
I'm also looking at biomedical science at UTS.
I really have no clue what I'll do..but I'll probably end up doing a science course as opposed to arts or fine arts.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I got guaranteed entry at UNSW for Bachelor of science, arts and fine arts and an early offer from UOW for Medical Biotech and medicinal chem
I'm also looking at biomedical science at UTS.
I really have no clue what I'll do..but I'll probably end up doing a science course as opposed to arts or fine arts.
all those degrees pretty much overlap and are the same thing

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
besides we all know that usyd's societies are a piece of crap

UNSW has by far the best social life of all universities
LOL this guy. Just because you find a particular atmosphere better doesn't mean it is the 'best' out of every university. You could be a socially awkward person and the uni may just click for you.

Learn to give objective and well reasoned comments. I still remember when choosing universities how confused BoS made me - given the significant number of UNSW students who use BoS after the HSC compared to Usyd students (I'm like the only one I know that checks every few weeks).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
LOL this guy. Just because you find a particular atmosphere better doesn't mean it is the 'best' out of every university. You could be a socially awkward person and the uni may just click for you.

Learn to give objective and well reasoned comments. I still remember when choosing universities how confused BoS made me - given the significant number of UNSW students who use BoS after the HSC compared to Usyd students (I'm like the only one I know that checks every few weeks).
I think 200 metres worth of stalls at O-Week and over 200 clubs and societies to consider and a student union that costs $0 to join instead of like $50 or whatever it was is a lot better

I think we would all enjoy a vibrant, fun-loving atmosphere over something that's less so

Moreover, the sheer fact that most BoS-ers choose UNSW just means that there's a vibrant BoS social circle at UNSW that transcends HSC years and we're a big happy family

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
.....People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non linear, non subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. The Doctor is your dp after all.
Omg can't believe I didn't see this!
You go glen coco
I think 200 metres worth of stalls at O-Week and over 200 clubs and societies to consider and a student union that costs $0 to join instead of like $50 or whatever it was is a lot better

I think we would all enjoy a vibrant, fun-loving atmosphere over something that's less so

Moreover, the sheer fact that most BoS-ers choose UNSW just means that there's a vibrant BoS social circle at UNSW that transcends HSC years and we're a big happy family
Man where da wsu bosers at :'(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)