What determines Band 6 / E4? (1 Viewer)

jxdesml

HSC
So I know your HSC mark is your internal assessment mark (moderated and aligned?) + your external exam mark. And I know that the raw mark cutoffs for a band 6 for most of the subjects I do is around 85, but what I don’t understand is: is that band you get solely due to your exam mark?

So for Extension 2 Maths for example, if the cutoffs this year is 75, and I get 70 in the exam, that means I get an E3, but if my school mark is higher, and my rank is high (2/10 in my case), can I possibly get an E4 still?

Idk if that makes any sense.

Reactions: mmw

Jojofelyx

HSC
So I know your HSC mark is your internal assessment mark (moderated and aligned?) + your external exam mark. And I know that the raw mark cutoffs for a band 6 for most of the subjects I do is around 85, but what I don’t understand is: is that band you get solely due to your exam mark?

So for Extension 2 Maths for example, if the cutoffs this year is 75, and I get 70 in the exam, that means I get an E3, but if my school mark is higher, and my rank is high (2/10 in my case), can I possibly get an E4 still?

Idk if that makes any sense.
You sure can. A friend of mine managed to get like 91 that way. Exam mark of 89, and internal moderated of 93, which is how they managed to get an E4.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
50% of your HSC mark (final mark) in a particular subject is contributed by the Assessment Mark, and the remaining 50% is contributed by your Examination Mark. The Assessment Mark is subject to the moderation process and the Examination Mark is subject to alignment. The moderation process uses Examination Marks to adjust the Assessment Marks. You don't solely receive a band 6 based on your performance in the HSC exam of a particular subject. Keep in mind that the Assessment Mark contributes 50% of your HSC mark, meaning that it can therefore affect the possibilities of a band 6. An important factor to consider with respect to the Assessment Mark is your rank relative to your cohort. The higher it is, the better the Assessment Mark that you can expect. To illustrate that a particular band is not determined solely based on the Examination Mark, suppose that a student did not perform well in their school-based assessment tasks/exams, leading to an unfavourable rank and an unfavourable Assessment Mark. However, they managed to figure out a more effective study strategy and rectified a number of mistakes as they approached the HSC exam, leading them to a favourable Examination Mark. In the event where the Assessment Mark and Examination Mark happened to be 70 and 90 respectively, the HSC mark will
, placing the student in the band 5 zone for this particular subject.

Regarding your Mathematics Extension 2 question, and considering the example that was given above, I believe a band E4 would be possible. A factor that this will depend on is the performance of whoever achieves the second-highest Examination Mark, as this is the mark that will be used to moderate (adjust) your Assessment Mark.

I hope this helps! 😄

jxdesml

HSC
50% of your HSC mark (final mark) in a particular subject is contributed by the Assessment Mark, and the remaining 50% is contributed by your Examination Mark. The Assessment Mark is subject to the moderation process and the Examination Mark is subject to alignment. The moderation process uses Examination Marks to adjust the Assessment Marks. You don't solely receive a band 6 based on your performance in the HSC exam of a particular subject. Keep in mind that the Assessment Mark contributes 50% of your HSC mark, meaning that it can therefore affect the possibilities of a band 6. An important factor to consider with respect to the Assessment Mark is your rank relative to your cohort. The higher it is, the better the Assessment Mark that you can expect. To illustrate that a particular band is not determined solely based on the Examination Mark, suppose that a student did not perform well in their school-based assessment tasks/exams, leading to an unfavourable rank and an unfavourable Assessment Mark. However, they managed to figure out a more effective study strategy and rectified a number of mistakes as they approached the HSC exam, leading them to a favourable Examination Mark. In the event where the Assessment Mark and Examination Mark happened to be 70 and 90 respectively, the HSC mark will
, placing the student in the band 5 zone for this particular subject.

Regarding your Mathematics Extension 2 question, and considering the example that was given above, I believe a band E4 would be possible. A factor that this will depend on is the performance of whoever achieves the second-highest Examination Mark, as this is the mark that will be used to moderate (adjust) your Assessment Mark.

I hope this helps! 😄
Jimmy coming in clutch. thank you! 😃

johnnys20

HSC
Are the "Examination Marks" listed in the HSC results table scaled or raw? For example:
1636960908602.png

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Are the "Examination Marks" listed in the HSC results table scaled or raw? For example:
View attachment 33756
The Examination Marks you receive are aligned and contribute 50% of your respective HSC marks. You are not informed of your raw marks, unless you wish to request them from NESA.

akhan324

HSC
The Examination Marks you receive are aligned and contribute 50% of your respective HSC marks. You are not informed of your raw marks, unless you wish to request them from NESA.
what does the assessment mark mean then?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
what does the assessment mark mean then?
As mentioned above, the Assessment Mark refers to a student's internal mark. This mark is subject to the moderation process and contributes 50% of a student's HSC mark.

oh that’s according to your cohort and stuff right?
That's correct. The Assessment Mark relies on your rank relative to your cohort in a particular subject, in addition to the performance of your cohort in the HSC exam of that particular subject. This is because the moderation process uses Examination Marks achieved by a cohort in a particular subject to adjust/determine the Assessment Marks for that cohort in that subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)