• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what did you have to do for your half yearly? (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
she has to mark it first :)

what ever happened with the student number-deal!
that's a crock,

i was hoping to use my anonymity-factor during marking, otherwise, what's the point! i understand that it makes it easier to hand back, but my attitude towards marking and 'knowing' whose work you're marking hasn't changed ... maybe somebody could dispell (sp?) the myth :)

i'm all for anonymity, it makes it easier to write, knowing that the markers have no clue whose work they're marking (was that a double negative?!)

anyway,
i like the idea with regards to hsc marking,
previous markers cannot write on the work, so it doesnt effect the opinions of the second-marker :)

barnz

ah, yea, i know but i reckon our school's just doing it to get us into the "feel of the hsc".
i think that's the only point of the number system in our school, and i've got a strong feeling, that whoever's marking has the names and numbers infront of them.
it's all rigged!

-number system- :chainsaw:

it's pointless - well, concerning anonymity anyway.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
ok, well i just had my exam today (so glad its over and done with! woo!)

it looks like i had the same exam as ellebelle!

Section 1 - Comprehension (it just took me 3 goes to spell that right... brain is dead)

Text 1 - two cartoons (one of which was 'Cathy' which i love!)
Text 2 - Article on Woolomolloo
Text 3 - Peter Goldsworthy poem

Section 2 - Creative Writing

Write the story that changed Michael's attitude about change (Michael is a business man from 'Who Moved My Cheese')

Section 3 - Essay

'If it were up to them, some people would never change - but time won't let them'
Examine how composers explore the circumstances relating to a change in an individual or society.

bah humbug.

PG5

HSC
Patrician Bros. Fairfield ay?
so close to my school.... wat a small world

well, we had half-yearlies and we had 2 questions to prepare a response to:
Questions were:

1) 'Change is a process; not a single moment'

How have the texts you have experienced in your study supported or contradicted this view of change?

In your answer focussing on "Changing Prespective", you should refer in detail your prescribed text Cosi by Louis Nowra, one text from the prescribed stimulus booklet Changing, and at least one text of your own choosing.

and

2) Both Malouf, through the character of Ovid in An Imaginary Life, and William Wordsworth in his poetry, displays a "capacity for belief'.

How do these two texts explore a "capacity for belief" within their respective contexts?

In your response, refer to at least two poems of Wordsworth in detail and An Imaginary Life.

Supaneo

Originally posted by astron
But on a serious note.

Apart from first person, collective first person and tone, what other techniques could one talk about when discussing a speech.

(We had to do this in our paper one. We had Natasha Stott Despoja's maiden speech and was asked how she communicates her vision of change)
That question is from the 2001HSC paper... and they gave it to you in your half yearly... i would have got 100

adds to another reason why i left the school in year 6

How is it going down there... astron douglas and huy tran?

>>>

PG5

HSC
Originally posted by Supaneo

?

>>>
i know a ht as well... hehe, common name ay...
n i'm guessing ur viet as well? u must know a guy named t... i'm pretty sure he came from your school

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
*sings* Its a small world after all LOL.

My english exam...
AOS - comprehension (cartoon, book extract, poem) AND long response about something i forgot... =/
Advanced Modules - emma/clueless "you are amy heckerling... " (i think i covered this in another thread)
wild swans - write a letter to BOS about why this book should be included in prescribed texts...

on the whole i didnt like it

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Supaneo

That question is from the 2001HSC paper... and they gave it to you in your half yearly... i would have got 100

adds to another reason why i left the school in year 6

How is it going down there... ?

>>>
omg
(nudge tooheyz)

what is with everyone and exposing others.
i could do the same, but i'll exercise a little common sense :)

we don't really read past papers or half yearlies,
it wouldn't surprise me really to find that our school had used past papers.

-- another reason why you left pbcf? you mean you'd get 100 now if you were still with us? :p

it's going great.

Originally posted by PG5

i know a huy tran as well... hehe, common name ay...
n i'm guessing ur viet as well? u must know a guy named tuan... i'm pretty sure he came from your school
yes, i'm vietnamese.
and i know a guy named tuan, he did come from our school.

anything else that anyone would like to share about me? any takers on my personal life? sex life? love life? christ!

Last edited:

silbi

i have my half yearlli second paper tom. morning :-(

on our first paper... we had a "future" cartoon, the poem "reruns" and an article called dazed?....

we had to write three journal entries as 12yr old, 17yr old and 24 year old and had an essy... which i dont remember the question....
im realli worried about the second paper... which is on John Donne and brave new world.... arghhh my weakest two areas..

malayz_angel

Originally posted by snakeoils
[Text 1 - two cartoons (one of which was 'Cathy' which i love!)
[/B]

Hehehe...I love that cartoon too! It's amusing to see how many different ways Irving can screw up, to say nothing of how many different ways they talk about paying off credit card bills. But my fav section in the SMH is usually 'Heckler.' (There are so many "angry" ppl out there....)

My half yearly was relatively easy.. it was just a speech about personal experiences of changing self and relating them to texts that we chose. Plus a listening task... it was worth about 20%.

losty

Originally posted by snakeoils

Section 3 - Essay

'If it were up to them, some people would never change - but time won't let them'
we had the exact same essay question as you!!1 pretty easy huh! man i hope we get a questions along the lines fo that or the inevitability of change or somehting like that man that would be a sinch

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
section 1: stimulus material..
a) was a pic with biuldings on one side and monkeys in a tree on the ride side.. thats enough to figure it out if you did it..
b) had comic strip of crazy nerotic trying to get her looks prioritised...
c) some long and dragged out poem that i forgot the name of..not worth remebering...
d) some article on rats in woolloomaloo..(if i spelt it wrong.. it happens)

section 2: had a senario where this guy was catching up with all his mates form high school at a reunion.. he talks of how his business was going down until he read this funny story.. in this section we were supposed to write the 'funny story' this guy read

section 3: essay
'not matter how much people try to stay the same, time will not allow it...'
sumthing along that line..i forgot what i used.. i think i used alibrandi (cause we had to) sky high,the door, american history x and my father was a god... stupidly i ended up taking and hour for this section and ran out of time in end so i had to rush section 1.. (which i did last.. i worked backwards..why?..why.. cause i don't like convention... i'm a MAVERICK...mwha ha ha)
see yas :D

yeahyeahyeahs

my half yearlies were sooo cool! one Q was to be a female naturalist writing a 6 entry journal on her journey into the wild. plus they said to NOT link it to the "in the wild" texts so no reference to malouf and wordsworth. how cool is that! xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)