What do we need to do to get marks like that? (1 Viewer)

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys. Just wondering, cause i had a look at some of the previous HSC marks and UAI and they have been amazing. What do the class of 2007 have to do to achieve marks like that? Thanks. (and try to stay on topic)

P

pLuvia

Tried looking at these threads?

This
Or this
Or that
Prior/During to HSC

Or better yet, ask those people how they studied

Anyway it's different for all people how they study, some may just be good listeners in class and suck in all the information then or some study their ass off at home. Just do what suits you :p

T

Testpilot

Slow and steady wins the HSC, just like the tortoise and the hare. If you study consistently you will beat those that cram.

T

Testpilot

Jazz1989 said:
Can someone please explain to me how to study properly?
It changes for person to person. What works for me might not work for you. Check out pLuvia's links above.

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
do some sort of work every night.
for every subject.
just reading over notes taken in class or some pages of the textbook is fine.
don't leave everything to the last minute.
start studying for assessments early.

gosh maybe i should listen to what i say...
=|

shashy

HSC
study study sudy:)

so wat subjects u ppl doing??????:bomb:

sly_skittle

HSC
This is what I did and my marks went from being in the low 70s to the high 80s and low 90s.
At the end of every second week look at the points from the syllabus that you covered in class and summarise these in a special folder or book. Then in every alternating week read through the notes and try writing them down/memorising them. - you don't need to do this religiously if you miss a few weeks just catch up, I didn't do them for all of first term but trust me it is easier to start early. I would just cut and past the syllabus into word and then type in the answers as I learnt them. Once each exam comes around - half-yearly, trial and finally the HSC- print off these notes and study them (about 30min-1hr for each topic) every night/second night in the weeks leading up to the exam.
I found that by doing this from the half-yearly until the HSC, even if I didn't look at the first term notes after the half-yearly, by the time the trial came around I could remember them quickly and by the HSC it took me about 3 hours to completely memorise one whole topic in senior science-also as you study them you begin to remember large sections of the answers so you can cut them down and that makes it quicker to study as well.
I found this really effective for most topics especially science, history and religion however when you do English there are no specific points in the syllabus so you have to practice writing essays and I find that it takes more time to study with less impressive results.
Also if you do ancient history memorise the sections of the syllabus and then practice writing out each point as though you are answering the maximum marks which could be allocated (i think thats 8 or 10 in the society section)-but don't do this if its only a small point like natural resources. For that, just memorise a few examples because its only ever asked about in the first two questions which are only worth 2 marks each and usually only need you to list two things.
But basically just make notes to the syllabus and practice these for every exam during the year and by the time the HSC comes you should be able to remember them more easily.
If there is a two weeks gap between subjects don't worry about only studying the earlier ones first because unlike everyone else in your class you already have the info. collected and thats half of the work done any way.
With maths you can do it to the syllabus as well but its more important to practice for this subject- still it guides you on what formulas you need and how you should be able to apply them
But basically the earlier you start studying the easier it is towards the end of the HSC.
Hope that helps!

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
sly_skittle said:
This is what I did and my marks went from being in the low 70s to the high 80s and low 90s.
At the end of every second week look at the points from the syllabus that you covered in class and summarise these in a special folder or book. Then in every alternating week read through the notes and try writing them down/memorising them. - you don't need to do this religiously if you miss a few weeks just catch up, I didn't do them for all of first term but trust me it is easier to start early. I would just cut and past the syllabus into word and then type in the answers as I learnt them. Once each exam comes around - half-yearly, trial and finally the HSC- print off these notes and study them (about 30min-1hr for each topic) every night/second night in the weeks leading up to the exam.
I found that by doing this from the half-yearly until the HSC, even if I didn't look at the first term notes after the half-yearly, by the time the trial came around I could remember them quickly and by the HSC it took me about 3 hours to completely memorise one whole topic in senior science-also as you study them you begin to remember large sections of the answers so you can cut them down and that makes it quicker to study as well.
I found this really effective for most topics especially science, history and religion however when you do English there are no specific points in the syllabus so you have to practice writing essays and I find that it takes more time to study with less impressive results.
Also if you do ancient history memorise the sections of the syllabus and then practice writing out each point as though you are answering the maximum marks which could be allocated (i think thats 8 or 10 in the society section)-but don't do this if its only a small point like natural resources. For that, just memorise a few examples because its only ever asked about in the first two questions which are only worth 2 marks each and usually only need you to list two things.
But basically just make notes to the syllabus and practice these for every exam during the year and by the time the HSC comes you should be able to remember them more easily.
If there is a two weeks gap between subjects don't worry about only studying the earlier ones first because unlike everyone else in your class you already have the info. collected and thats half of the work done any way.
With maths you can do it to the syllabus as well but its more important to practice for this subject- still it guides you on what formulas you need and how you should be able to apply them
But basically the earlier you start studying the easier it is towards the end of the HSC.
Hope that helps!
Thanks alot mate, this is great advice.

jessdoit

HSC
zangetsu.xo said:
do some sort of work every night.
for every subject.
just reading over notes taken in class or some pages of the textbook is fine.
don't leave everything to the last minute.
start studying for assessments early.

gosh maybe i should listen to what i say...
=|
I don't have enough time on my hands for that dude... But I do my best. I use my frees sometimes as well to catch up on whatever I haven't done... So I guess using time wisely helps. Not that I can talk esp. being online now instead of doing work hoho~

HSC
Wow Sly_skittle..
Thats a really good idea..
i never study more then 3 days before tests ...if i can help it...which leads to quite a bit of cramming.. :S
I hope i will stick to doing something like this

ballin

Banned
HSC
i dont actually approve of following another's study routine. sure, they may have some good points but ultimately, the best study routine you can have is always going to be the one that you make for yourself. and who knows, this might mean 3 days before a test or it might be more longer term. personally, i think its a good idea to conform to the bullshit which BOS imposes on students - the syllabus. study the syllabus, know what is expected of you and you cant go wrong.

Wackedupwacko

HSC
it depends on what kind of person you are. say me i cant study properly (like for prolonged periods) unless theres pressure on me aka assessment blocks. without that kind of pressure i tend to slack off and end up doing something else. that being the case you want to build yourself up a good notebank (eg using syllabus dot points as guides etc) so when you come to actually studying properly you have something in an easy to understand and relevant format.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Wackedupwacko said:
it depends on what kind of person you are. say me i cant study properly (like for prolonged periods) unless theres pressure on me aka assessment blocks. without that kind of pressure i tend to slack off and end up doing something else. that being the case you want to build yourself up a good notebank (eg using syllabus dot points as guides etc) so when you come to actually studying properly you have something in an easy to understand and relevant format.
Ditto.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Concentrate in class either way. Even if you study hard at home, you have a much greater chance of grasping and understanding information surrounded by other students and teachers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)