What do you all mean? (1 Viewer)

treetime

HSC
I honestly have 0% idea what people mean when they say "I'm writing study notes off the syllabus dot points"

What are these syllabus dot points?!
I'm not struggling work-wise or anything, but now that it's time to make notes/summaries from last terms work, I really would like to know because I'm assuming going off these 'dot points' would save me time and get me good marks :)

I am oh so clueless and appreciate any response ^_^

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
this has been asked many times.

go to the official BOS website. click on HSC syllabuses. download the syllabus document for each of your subjects. Open the document. Scroll down and you will find many many pages on WHAT you are supposed to learn about in the subject. Use the dotpoints in there to guide you when you are writing your notes, because exam questions always come from these dotpoints!

anyway, for your subjects, syllabus dotpoints would be good for society and culture and art.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Look at the Syllabus. :)

For Englishes and Maths, syllabii will help jack all. Not sure about S&C and Art, though.

Schoey93

HSC
this has been asked many times.

go to the official BOS website. click on HSC syllabuses. download the syllabus document for each of your subjects. Open the document. Scroll down and you will find many many pages on WHAT you are supposed to learn about in the subject. Use the dotpoints in there to guide you when you are writing your notes, because exam questions always come from these dotpoints!

anyway, for your subjects, syllabus dotpoints would be good for society and culture and art.
Are there syllabus dot points for mathematics? Why would it be a bad idea to use them?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Maths syllabii tell you what you need to know. It tells you that for instance, you need to learn calculus and the applications of calculus to the physical world. Applications of calculus means jack all to anyone. It doesn't tell you that you need calculus for max/min questions, for kinematics, for curve sketching, etc.

Edit: First sentence should be "Maths syllabii don't tell you what you need to know.

Last edited:

treetime

HSC
Thank you all :)
haha I am doing both society/culture and art so that's helpful
And yes I realised the English syllabus is not particularly helpful- very broad and such.
English notes are the worst! >.<

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Notes by the syllabus are great for sciences and histories, so i'd assume it'd be good for Society & Culture as well :)

And yeah, english notes suck - i'd just stick to analysing scenes you plan to use/might use in essays and screw the syllabus.

lubeet520

HSC
English syllabi are just 'rubriks' and everything is written in extremely general terms - its not helpful at all

science syllabi are indispensible, however

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)