• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do you call your teachers by? (1 Viewer)

What do you call your teachers by?

• Teacher name (surname)

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • First name

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Nickname

Votes: 12 27.3%

• Total voters

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yeah, ours are mr/mrs/miss/ms XYZ... or miss/sir...some of the boys call their pe teacher by his first name..it would be way to weird for words to call them by their first names..i dont think i could handle it! i reckon in 10 yrs time if i see them down the street i will still address them with mr/mrs/miss/ms XYZ

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
either miss or sir if we dont know them too well

and nicknames for my rteachers
Mrs hooper - hooper (how original lol)
Mr northam - northie
Mr vartanian - mr V
Mrs dixon - dixie

and the vice principal mr macdougall - noodle (of course not to his face hes a n asshole)!! :D

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Leanne
i usually couldnt be bothered actually saying their surname.....miss or sir are fine by me!!! but then i heard that if u say miss or sir to a uni lecturer they'll ignore u....u actually have to remember their names!!!! first names!!
I don't think they intentionally ignore you - but they do encourage calling them by their first names, yes. :)

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lazarus
I don't think they intentionally ignore you - but they do encourage calling them by their first names, yes. :)
really!!! I thought you called lecturers at uni professor so and so...
might take some getting use to!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
miss or sir

i went through an entire term not knowing my english teacher's name.....the only way i found out was when we had a room change and on the notice board there was her name....i was like who is that.....looked at the class.....oh that's my teacher

Jeo

oh yeah, I remember our club cricket coach, was a teacher at our school, and we kept calling him sir, and he turned out around and goes.. MY NAME IS KEN DAMNIT!

haha... we instantly dropped, and started laughing our guts out.. It was so sooooooooo sooooo weird. WEIRD i tell ya.

LadyMoon

HSC
Originally posted by sepul
plus no detention, and it's an "adult learning environment" ie they treat you like equals, it's great :)
when you say that, im instantly reminded of TAFE? do you go to TAFE? because they kept telling us that (when i did a partime TAFE course for a while)

but anywayz:
I cant see my option in the poll.
I call them, Sir, or Miss...
i dont include their last name after that ie. i dont call them Mr. Thread, i just call him Sir, same for every teacher!

Yeah im weird i know. (is there anyone else?)

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
Yeah, i call them by 'sir' or 'miss' also, never really by their full name unless i need to go toilet or anything. If it's a senior teacher it'd be 'ma'am'

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by babyslug
Yeah, i call them by 'sir' or 'miss' also, never really by their full name unless i need to go toilet or anything. If it's a senior teacher it'd be 'ma'am'
:lol: By senior teacher do you mean older teacher:confused:?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i would so never call a teacher ma'am...it has too many connotations attached to its longer version (madam)

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
"Madam" is just a bastardisation of "madamme", which is a respectful term. What connotations are there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)