What do you do in Legal Studies? (1 Viewer)

alan7948

HSC
Just wanted to ask what you learn in legal studies? Also is it worth doing?

HSC
id like to know as well if anybody else has more information.. i heard from a friend that for one assignment you interview a person in the law profession..

AnandDNA

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
id like to know as well if anybody else has more information.. i heard from a friend that for one assignment you interview a person in the law profession..
Assignments vary from school to school and we havent done any of that sort. We do a lot of analysing case studies and there is alot to be learnt and memorised such as dates and important events. Personally, i hate the subject and there is alot of writing and essays but i guess by continuing this subject i may improve on my essay writing skills and have some useful knowledge about the legal system, just in case i get into trouble :p

-tal-

HSC
you learn how the legal system works, how it impacts others. you also do a fair bit of case analysis, but these are mostly textbook ones. you learn about fairness, justice etc. and generally how the legal system is kept in order. just.. arghh this is frustrating .. how everything is legally interrelated

btw i do legal studies

vasuu91

HSC
you'll start off by learning the basics and stuff like the history of the law. year 12 you do law and society which is basically how the law serves justice and human rights stuff. a major part of the hsc is studying criminal law. you also do case studies like family, consumers, world order etc and apply legal knowledge there. most of the times you are looking at if the law is effective in all these areas.
there is a lot of essay writing, you have to be upto date with current world and national issues and also have to remember cases, dates and legislations. but its certainly not a very hard subject, especially if u try and enjoy it. also depends on what case studies and type of assessments ur school chooses to do.
hope this helps :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Law sounds like a very interesting subject to study/learn. But also sounds quite difficult and has a fair bit to memorise and the application to real life situations! A bit like maths, physics and business. :D

Last edited:
HSC
Legal Studies is:

- Easy
- Fun
- Applicable to real life.

What more could you want in a subject?

Schoey93

HSC
Explosions Hurt said:
Legal Studies is:

- Easy
- Fun
- Applicable to real life.

What more could you want in a subject?
SO TRUE! :D I love Commerce (Year 9) :p and Legal Studies is sort of a "follow on" from the core content in the Commerce course "Law and Society".

My girlfriend does Legal Studies (ok not girlfriend, friend). It is her absolute favourite subject besides FOOD TECHNOLOGY, yet another fun, easy, "real life" and practical subject.

;)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Schoey93 said:
SO TRUE! :D I love Commerce (Year 9) :p and Legal Studies is sort of a "follow on" from the core content in the Commerce course "Law and Society".

My girlfriend does Legal Studies (ok not girlfriend, friend). It is her absolute favourite subject besides FOOD TECHNOLOGY, yet another fun, easy, "real life" and practical subject.

;)
Wow! you sound a little over excited to be doing the courses in senior school... Lol. :) It's pretty funny that you are soo excited about it! But it is also good to see that you are passionate about your studies :hammer:

jazzbaby

HSC
im in grade 11 and i LOVE legal studies
we do issues relevant to us today, like our class hardly uses the textbook

its mad fun :D

izzn'tshesuper

HSC
i'm in year 12, i do legal
and it may be different at other schools
but its really crap at my school.

it started out really good though.
but the prelim stuff is really boring
it gets slightly better in the hsc course.

vivid

HSC
LEGAL IS AWESOME.

Depending on your teacher for a lot of what you do in class, but its actually really interesting.

Might I also take the chance to mention its actually a History subject, not Social Science? This is because! You assess the way legal changes and the legal system have been changed by what has happened in society throughout history, and also how effective it is in reflecting those changes.

There's also, depending on your teacher, a lot of politics involved - e.g. you learn about the arbitrary power and things like police powers being extended. (Which are only supposed to hang around for a 'sunset clause' - while they are necessary because of events happening at the time. An example is how police powers were extended and many of these kept after the 2000 Sydney Olympics and APEC last year).

You learn about the concept of the 'rule of law.' It's basically about how law has to be fair. Example case: David Hicks. He was charged for breaking a law that didn't exist at the time he supposedly broke it. You get to learn how legislation cannot be enforced in retrospect (well, at least in Australia).

Oh and things like the judiciary system are covered, human rights - you get to debate whether or not we should have a Bill of Rights, etc. Not to forget Crime, of course, people always find that fun.

And with case studies - yes you learn many textbook ones because they have set precedent. But because the law is a thing that is constantly changing, even as you learn about it, you pick up better research skills in doing Legal Studies. You do have to find current and relevant content as well as learning the historical aspect, and I guess basically you analyse the changes.

And! Although my teacher this year sucks ]= (I changed teachers at the end of last year, the first one was infinitely better and convinced me to do Legal in the first place), he did have a really well planned and thought out first lesson, which basically covered the kind of government that operates in Australia. (i.e. a Democratic Constitutional Monarchy. Now if that confuses you, DO LEGAL AND FIND OUT XD)

tetrisam

HSC
A lot of reading and highlighting !
no joke, ive gone through high-lighters so quickly this year bcos of legal
It's not a very colourful subject but u get by and hopefully u get a teacher whos tries to make the subject interesting because i got stuck with an old, dreary one =(

Shnurs

HSC
soap~ said:
3 words: Assess the effectiveness
I'm starting to realise how true this really is.

Btw did some idiot say Business Studies is challenging?
I swear I read that somewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)