What do you guys think of this? Should I trust? (1 Viewer)

trashman308

HSC
hey guys, im selling my gaming rig for $1700 on craigslist.com , dont blame me, i dont know shit on ebay and all these fees i read about were crazy. Anyways a guy emailed me wanting to buy the rig. This is what he said in his email:

Potential Buyer: "is the item still up for sale"

Me: "YES, are you interested?"

Potential buyer:"Thanks for the swift response i will like to buy the item i saw on there and i will like to buy it for my son who is in a university in the oversea and i will like you to ship the items out immediately after i make the payment and i will want you to get back to me with your paypal email so i can make the payment asap and i will be responsible for the shipping cost okay just get back to me with the total amount and your paypal email okay i will be waiting to hear back from you soon Stay safe
Regards"

Me: "Where do you live? is there anyway i can meet you, and you can pay me CASH, i do not have paypal"

Potential Buyer: "Oh okay am not home now am in Adelaide in Australia i would have come to pick the item up but is very easy to sign up for one if you want though and verify it then attach to your bank information once you are through with that send me your paypal id email so i can make the payment asap

Me: "How do i know this is legitimate, give me your full address so that i may include postage cost on top of the $1700.

What made me straightway think a SCAM, was the fact that he mentioned sending the computer overseas (overseas scams very popular) and that he lives in adelaide, when i said clearly 'sydney location'.

So what do you guys think? please help me out, ive never used paypal before. Should i make a paypal account, wait to make sure i receive the money 100% and then send the item.

Please anyhelp.

sorry for the essay but im desperate.

greentsquare

HSC
Potential buyer:"Thanks for the swift response i will like to buy the item i saw on there and i will like to buy it for my son who is in a university in the oversea and i will like you to ship the items out immediately after i make the payment and i will want you to get back to me with your paypal email so i can make the payment asap and i will be responsible for the shipping cost okay just get back to me with the total amount and your paypal email okay i will be waiting to hear back from you soon Stay safe
Regards"
quite a demanding potential buyer.
I've only ever used paypal in conjunction with ebay. Usually the seller just post/ship the item once payment has been cleared (i.e. your paypal account is credited with the agreed amount, which you can already withdraw later on).
Paypal email - sending him an invoice through email - I reckon it's relatively secure...
but there's just something about him that's bugging me
he could just be an impulsive buyer, but his replies just seem a tad too fishy.
Insist on local postage, and see how he reacts to that

Boxes

Banned
HSC
no dude. he's not legit.

i've read about this scam. it tricks the best of us.

don't sell.

trashman308

HSC
Insist on local postage, and see how he reacts to that
What do you mean? His in Adelaide, the fact he also has an Arab Name bothers me (btw im an arab 2, so no retaliations lol). If his interstate, local postage isnt possible.

trashman308

HSC
If this helps his email is xxxxxxx@gmail.com, so its not an obscure email (the 'x's is trying to cover his identity) and also he has his full name attached to the email address.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
jesus christ, don't be fucking stupid.

it's a scam.

trashman308

HSC
Was thinking of setting up a paypal account with my bank details, i have comm netbank account, as soon as he pays me, i can transfer all my money into my brothers account, close my paypal account and then transfer the money back into my account.

trashman308

HSC
He's trolling, ignore him. Anyway as the question at hand, i'm pretty sure ebay has some kind of insurance so check into that in case it does end up being a scam.
not selling on ebay, its basically an email interaction, he saw my ad on craigslist.com

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
But it's through paypal, he could easily report the item as "not received" in which case paypal could lock up your funds, refund his money etc. This is where feedback scores in ebay come in really handy

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Don't sell, it's a scam. Even if it isn't, you should never sell on the internet to someone you don't know without a secure medium like e-bay.

i dont know shit on ebay and all these fees i read about were crazy.
All the fees are worth it for the insurance in my opinion.

Suic1de

Banned
HSC
but what if, wen he pays me, i straightaway take the money out of my account, so if he does try to do that, i will have a 0$ balance, meaning paypal wont be able to take shit.
Don't they have a 30day waiting period or something?

zzdfa

HSC
If this helps his email is xxxxxxx@gmail.com, so its not an obscure email (the 'x's is trying to cover his identity) and also he has his full name attached to the email address.
how do you know its his real name /not an obscure email
and
even after your recieve the money in your paypal and withdraw to bank acc immediately, it takes a few days to proccess and paypal can lock your funds.

if the buyer reports the item as not recieved, or if the guy is using a stolen paypal account (keyloggers etc), and the real owner reports it, youre probably going to get your money taken away. (especially in the second case).

if you want to be safe dont use paypal. its shit for sellers, they favor the buyers. get the money in person or tell him to transfer the money to an empty bank account.

Last edited:

greentsquare

HSC
What do you mean? His in Adelaide, the fact he also has an Arab Name bothers me (btw im an arab 2, so no retaliations lol). If his interstate, local postage isnt possible.
local postage as in within Australia

but judging from the email address - it's most likely a scam. the full name doesnt prove anything as i could (and anyone could) just make an email account using false names like Joe Bloggs or whatever
and other posters here have a point regarding paypal freezing your account

so - don't do it. it's not worth it

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Id trust ebay and pay the fees, just add them ontop of the Rigs cost and say PICKUP only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)